think ill be paying down my cards

Moving a balance in a few months, Halifax offered me a joke of a limit, the sort of limit people who need to build up their trustworthiness get.

sainsburies was at least in the 1000s but below the amount requested, the lowest limit I have had since started using 0% cards.

I am guessing my affordability calculations arent coming up great so I assume to improve this I should just pay off a significant amount in cash (or all of it) to improve it again?

Sainsburies limit was 2.5k.

I know the banks are tightening up due to pressure but I am guessing they seen something they didnt like as well.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    What's your annual income?

What's your total credit limit across all your cards?

Any other credit?

That will be your answer.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Knowing very little about the sate of your credit files we can only guess at the problem, but in the absence of any other obvious reason I would think the most likely cause of the low credit limits (at least you got the cards) is the amount of your existing balance(s).
  • I thought the same for me given the last 2 limits I got on BT cards, which were laughable.

However, as I'd opened a natwest account recently for the promo fee, thought i'd give one last whirl on their 0% 0fee offer, and got offered a massive limit covering both cards coming to an end next month.

I've no mortgage apps I need to do soon (i.e. dont care about another search on the file) so figured why not.
    So could be worth a punt for you, you never know.
    Let me Google that for you...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport