PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Miro - that coat sounds like a fabulous find.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hello

I almost never post on here but got a couple of things this morning. My star buy was a country collection turtle neck jumper in 100% extra fine merino wool for £2. It does not look to have ever been worn. On the website new ( I'd never heard of the brand truthfully) they are £59 :eek: will be a lovely addition to my winter wardrobe.

A few B &H sets spotted, but I managed to resist :D

Bexster :)
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hello again,

Ha! I got gifted a B & H set by a friend, who just happens to work in a charity shop! Why are people a bit wary of these? Is it something I missed? : )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Hi, you inspired me to have a longer & closer look than I usually do in town today. I found a chambray tunic-style shirt by Weird Fish for £4 so well pleased!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Happy new year everyone! Dh and I popped into a couple of charity shops today and we managed to bag the following; a Daniel hechter suit for oh for £2 it's excellent condition, slightly snug but he is on a new year weight loss program so hopefully should fit soon. He also got two ties for £1 for the two. He wears a suit and tie to work everyday so is always on the lookout for good quality formal wear.

He then bought a Philips juice machine for £2.49 and a book about juicing for £1. The juicing thing is in all likelihood a fad of his but at £3.49 in total it's not going to break the bank.

I bought a Stuffed Shirt pack which is basically a way of packing shirts and bits in a small suitcase type thing for overnight trips it's only the size of a folder if that makes sense. It will be used by Dh on work trips and was £1.49 it's brand new and has leather bits so I'm guessing expensive when purchased. Nothing for me but hey ho you can't always win
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    A BNWT pair of leggings. They are by TU and were originally £12.00. They are in a great black/grey/white check pattern and have a deep waistband which I find more comfortable than the Primark style ones.
    Size 10 and slightly snug but I have some Xmas weight to shift so they'll fit perfectly soon.
    £3.00 from our local hospice shop.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ooooops....... thought the thread had gone quiet then realised I hadn't subscribed to 'new post, email alerts' for the new thread! :o Normal service now resumed!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I may decide to stalk you and mug you of any future bargains.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. ;)

Appoints bodyguard..........:p
    foxyloxy11 wrote: »
    MIRO i would have bought the coat just to make TB try it on again when i was feeling down ha ha...love it and i bet he's taking all credit for finding you a bargain too :)

Yep deffo taking the credit but I doubt very much he will be boasting about trying on a ladies coat in a chazza shop to his friends :D
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello again,

Ha! I got gifted a B & H set by a friend, who just happens to work in a charity shop! Why are people a bit wary of these? Is it something I missed? : )

Someone posted a very good critique of the B & H stuff recently, (was it VfM4meplse?). Basically they seem to use cheap, poor quality ingredients and market their products as if they are premium products with a premium price. Most of the cost of the product goes on the packaging and the marketing. (The original poster put it much better!)

This morning I took a big bag of books to the Cancer Research Shop. I do book reviews for Macmillan, (the cancer charity not the publisher!). It's amazing how many I acquire over the year - can be anything to do with cancer - medical/motivational/autobiography/poetry/self-help even recipe books. They are always the latest editions and I hope someone benefits from reading them as well as the charity making a profit. Course I couldn't resist having a good squiz around and came across a real treasure trove of an old sewing box complete with contents. The box was priced at £5 and the contents at 10p each. Came away with a sweet pearl handled button hook, a silver & enamel thimble with a black cat on it, a cross stitched pin holder, a card of teeny tiny mother of pearl buttons and two very old lace handkerchiefs - one with a Honition lace border and the other with a Bucks point lace border. :)
  • Today at the Banado’s donation centre I bought a Monsoon dressing gown aged 11/12 for £1.99, a Hobbs smart top for 99p, a gap pink shirt for 99p, a pair of Wolsey tights for 49p, and a Henry Holland denim waistcoat aged 10 years for 99p. Amongst the bobbly tat there are a few gems!
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Mir! wrote: »
    Someone posted a very good critique of the B & H stuff recently, (was it VfM4meplse?). Basically they seem to use cheap, poor quality ingredients and market their products as if they are premium products with a premium price. Most of the cost of the product goes on the packaging and the marketing. (The original poster put it much better!)

Ah, mystery solved, thank you :). I will still have a go at using it, rather than waste it, although it's not something I would usually use (can't re-gift, etc. as I threw box away).

It's the thought that counts!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just had a look in my box that I keep wrapping paper, gift cards and bags in & discovered a set of B&H that I was given last christmas - I wont re-gift as I'll use the handwash - not sure about the hand cream though .
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure