Paying Experian £14.99

I’m old and having a brain freeze, please help!

I’m looking into reducing my monthly expenditure and noticed I have an account with Experian for which I pay £14.99 a month.

I took the account about 5 years ago as I started to get random letters from mobile phone companies concerning phone contracts being taken out in my name (I later discovered that the accounts were not in my name and neither was I the victim of fraud, but yes my address was being used).

I occasionally used to get Experian alert emails telling me someone has viewed my credit score, but this always turned out to be insurance companies looking me up usually around the time my annual car or household insurance renewals were due (I have not received an email from Experian for well over 9 months now).

So it was the fear factor that someone might be trying to take finance in my name that led me to initially open the Experian account.

Fast forward to today and I question myself as to why am I paying £14.99 a month for something I never look at or use.

Is there a cheaper way for me to keep an eye on my credit file? (More importantly a way to keep an eye out to protect myself against people trying to take out finance in my name?)

Help much appreciated.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    yes

Clearscore - Equifax
    Noddle - Call Credit
    and MSE credit club - Experian

all free
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    £899 over 5 years for something that is free:eek:
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    singhini wrote: »
    Fast forward to today and I question myself as to why am I paying £14.99 a month for something I never look at or use.

Is there a cheaper way for me to keep an eye on my credit file? (More importantly a way to keep an eye out to protect myself against people trying to take out finance in my name?)

Help much appreciated.

Use any of the credit refernce agencies free services to look at your credit report.

Pick a date, lets say the 1st of each month, log in to each of the accounts, have a look at the recent searches section, anything you dont like the look of investigate. Save yourself £14.99 per month.

Alternatively you can give me £9.99 per month and log in details and ill do it for you checking on a weekly basis. :cool:
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Singhini

Statutory credit reports are completely free of charge since the recent changes in Data Protection law.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Dear all, thank-you for your input and help; greatly appreciated.

I will give Experian a call tomorrow and cancel their services (and go with MSE Credit Club as its Experian anyway) [Glentoran99]

The idea of log-in once a month and review the account is so simple and obvious its brilliant (I already take my gas and electric meter readings every month and submit them to my provider, so this can be done on the same day) [Spadoosh]

Thank Dennis [National Debtline], ive not kept myself upto date with the changes and so thanks for pointing that out.

£899 really does bring it home and hence I will defo make the call to Experian in the morning [Worried Jim]

Thanks Candyapple for providing the link re: Claiming the fees back (not sure I will TBH, I knowingly took the product and thus I will just take it on the chin).

Thanks once again
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 11:51PM
    If you are concerned about being a victim of fraud, Experian cannot provide protection against it, however I understand the reassurance it provided, regarding monitoring for suspicious activities.

For a one-off payment of £20, CIFAS will add a protective registration to your credit file, protecting you from fraudsters being able to obtain credit using your information. This is due to the enhanced checks that members of CIFAS conduct to ensure an application is genuine. This is valid on your file for 24 months.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

This is a much cheaper option than Experian's subscription fee and does provide the protection required in real time to prevent credit obtained using your details fraudulently.

This does not affect your credit file negatively and lenders will not decline an application solely due to this being present, however their checks will be more extensive than usual e.g identity documentation.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • singhini
    Thanks T-G-C (some good advice I will follow up on). gosh £14.99 for one month versus £20 for twenty four and its the actual protection I am looking for :smiley:
  • singhini
    edited 13 July 2018 at 2:44PM
    Quick question:

I've joined the MSE credit club and I now have access to my credit report (perfect).

My question is, how do I save the credit report as a Pdf (when I click the tab "print or save for your records" it only lets me print, not save); anyone know please?
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    singhini wrote: »
    Quick question:

I've joined the MSE credit club and I now have access to my credit report (perfect).

My question is, how do I save the credit report as a Pdf (when I click the tab "print or save for your records" it only lets me print, not save); anyone know please?

It may well depend on what device and browser you're using. I'm using Chrome on a MacBook. Clicking on "Print or save for your records" brings up the print 'pop-up' window. I can then 'change the destination' which then provides a link to Save as PDF or Click the link to 'Open PDF in preview' and then save to my chosen destination.

I imagine most device/browser combinations will provide a similar method :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure