Driver ran into me while stationary is now saying i braked

Options

Comments

• the_gardener_2
    Options
    I think the phrase "not maintaining an effective braking distance"
    seems relevant.
    I never totally understood how you can be an blameless victim and still end up having your premium increased. Insurers have complaints procedures and then the ombudsman .....use them.
    Persistence wins in my experience.
  • peter12345678910
    Options
    You need to go to your own insurer and tell them of this development.

And, regardless of whether you were stationary of moving, if someone runs into the back of you it is THEIR fault. There are very few exceptions, one of which would be you reversing into them.

Have you got motorists legal protection? Would be VERY useful if you have, but you do need to go through your own insurer now.

The second exception would be if a car hits the back of your car and then you hit the back of another car.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • peter12345678910
    Options
    Your allowed to brake. It's still the fault of the car that hit you. Any motorists know that simple rule and so do insurance companies. I'm struggling to believe they don't know that
    Especially when a good Samaritan decides to suddenly stop and give way to a car forcing all the cars behind to forcibly stop.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 7:43AM
    Options
    Apparently this phenomenon of raising premiums after no fault claims is well known in the Media.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3052191/How-drivers-insurance-costs-soar-no-fault-accidents-don-t-claim.html

Admiral and its various brands are mentioned a lot, though many articles state that other insurers do the same.

Someone on Honest John forums even refers to "Rear Admiral", which seems pithily appropriate.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car Insurers seem to have their own rules, whilst living on their own planet. I was rear ended by another car whilst stationary at traffic lights in 2013, my claim went through a 3rd party claim company via my insurer, car written off, nothing through my insurance, just noted. On renewal, price was similar, no probs, 12 months later, renewal quote doubled for no reason.
    I was with Zurich for about 10 years from about 1994 onwards as I was paying a reasonable price, and renewal sometimes stayed same, sometimes even went down a bit as I built my ncb. In the last 10 years, I've had to change providers at least 8 times due to stupid price increases for no reason. Haven't had a fault claim in 18 years. Even if you ask them why it's gone up, nobody seems to know. Only explanation I can think of is they think we're idiots who will happily pay an extra 70/80% for the same product.
  • westernpromise
    Options
    Admiral did that to me. Cyclist ploughed into me, cuts and scrapes but nothing significant nor any damage to my car, he admitted it was his fault; Admiral declared it was nil cost and my fault and loaded the premium. I'm now with Axa.

NCB is a ripoff too. If you claim, your NCB is protected but they can still double the premium to which the NCB deduction is applied.
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    If you think that a car pulling up suddenly is an excuse for running into the back of aof it you are mistaken - Thats THE LAW!
    Especially when a good Samaritan decides to suddenly stop and give way to a car forcing all the cars behind to forcibly stop.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    You got that right - Insurance companies often sail outside of the law and Im not sure why they are allowed to cheat, steal like a latter day licenced bandit - As time goes on I have noticed that many large companies are simply beyond the law, knowing full well that their client is too small to bring them to justice - They act without morals and should be controlled

Car Insurers seem to have their own rules, whilst living on their own planet.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 11:02AM
    Options
    donna7017 wrote: »
    I took pictures of the damage - the other driver admitted liability then a month later retracted it and no is claiming i braked and caused the accident and because of that they are saying there fetching the hire car back and ill have to provide my own transport - I will get the costs back if i win the case but this could take up to 12 months

Are you sure the hire car being taken back is to do with liability? When I wrote my car off, I had a hire car until the write off figure was agreed. As soon as I had the money my hire car was taken back and I had to get a new car.

Then someone drive into the back of the new car when I stopped at an island and tried to blame me for stopping too soon. As soon as insurers got involved, it was declared 100% his liability.

If someone goes into the back of you it's their own fault. They should be driving carefully enough to stop before hitting you. You need to take this to your own insurance to fight rather than trying to do it in your own.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Are you sure the hire car being taken back is to do with liability? When I wrote my car off, I had a hire car until the write off figure was agreed. As soon as I had the money my hire car was taken back and I had to get a new car.

The hire car will have been provided by the other party's insurer or their accident management company. They were prepared to do that whilst their client was accepting responsibility because it was cheaper for them to provide the car themselves rather than the cost being later claimed by the OP's insurance company.

As soon as the other party denied responsibility, it was no longer sensible for them to provide the hire car, because it would no longer be supported by their insured party's liability. Therefore, they took the car back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure