I feel bad about this but...

Options

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It just needs replating - it's a very cheap to get done and they will also be able to buff out any minor scratches. From memory about £30. It will look really nice once you've had it done.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's lovely! You can absolutely get it cleaned at a jeweller's, it'll look like new afterwards.
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I think it's beautiful. awww. Congratulations on the engagement.

Personally I don't think it matters if you change it or upgrade at a later date but that is very pretty!
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 7:09AM
    Options
    As I am olive skinned with a mild a yellow undertone as well as blunt hands - ugh i would dislike this ring intensely it really wouldn't suit.

It maybe the OP has similar coloring or hand shape so the ring would not sit well.

Ask, gently, regarding the origin of the ring - check its not some cherished heirloom and then mention getting and everyday ring (need not be expensive)

That way all the bases are covered :)

I have a very expensive ring, which i am petrified to wear - but a cheap lookalike that i wear everyday (in fact i have several cheap copies as i am prone to losing them - hence being petrified to wear the real one!)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also remember that, apparently the father is expected to present the mother with an eternity ring on the birth of the child.

Expected by whom?
    Never heard that before :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Expected by whom?
    Never heard that before :huh:

An eternity ring, also known as an infinity ring, is a lady's ring, worn on the hand, comprising a band of precious metal (usually gold) set with a continuous line of identically cut gemstones (usually diamonds) to symbolize never-ending love, usually given by a husband to his wife on the occasion of a significant anniversary.

Traditionally presented after a couple has already been married, they can be given as a gift to commemorate a milestone wedding anniversary or to celebrate the welcoming of a new child or children into the family.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Yes that's definately what people need - more nonsense rules and more spending for no reason.

Don't worry about that OP. Just do what makes you happy.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You have too much emphasis on the ring and not what it symbolises; a union, between 2 (and a bit) people, with a view of getting married and being together for life.

Get it cleaned up or whatever, when planning your wedding describe your desired wedding ring and only wear that, keeping the engagement ring safe and to pass on to your first born when s/he is planning their future.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    He!!!8217;s probably on cloud 9 at the moment, he!!!8217;s going to be a dad and the woman he loves has agreed she wants to spend the rest of her life with him and raise their family together.

Do you want to put a downer on that because of something as trivial as a bit of metal that goes on your finger?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2018 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Paparika wrote: »
    An eternity ring, also known as an infinity ring, is a lady's ring, worn on the hand, comprising a band of precious metal (usually gold) set with a continuous line of identically cut gemstones (usually diamonds) to symbolize never-ending love, usually given by a husband to his wife on the occasion of a significant anniversary.

Traditionally presented after a couple has already been married, they can be given as a gift to commemorate a milestone wedding anniversary or to celebrate the welcoming of a new child or children into the family.

Yep, I know what an Eternity Ring is, per the definition in bold :), just never heard of it being expected with the birth of a child... (which, let's be honest, in today's society, hardly represents eternal commitment... :think:)

I suspect the second half of your last sentence is a modern 'non traditional' addition/expectation.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business