Scammers, I think

Had a couple of calls to our landline this morning from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and talking about problems we've been having with our broadband lately. Apparently 'outside hackers trying to steal our information'.

Now this is weird because we have had problems - there have been short interruptions to the broadband connection and strange, rather unpleasant stuff scrolling on the screen completely unbidden.

Because of this I was really quite rattled by the calls but had the wit to put the receiver down and use 1471. The calls seemed to emanate from a Gloucestershire code 01453. When I googled the full number, I found that quite a lot of people have been complaining about it as probably scammers.

Can anyone just confirm that this could not possibly be Microsoft? It does seem to me that any scammer would at least have the commonsense to use 'number withheld', wouldn't they? I'm still a bit jittery.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unless Microsoft are your ISP, why only earth would they be calling you about your broadband? Of course they are scammers.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I really do wonder about this sort of thing.

Why does ANYBODY on this planet think that Microsoft are going to call them to help fix their PC 'problems'?

I mean, really???
  • Charlton_King
    Charlton_King Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry but I should have been clearer.

The guy was not offering to 'fix our broadband'. He was saying that that the broadband problems were associated with attempts by hackers to use our PC as a base for criminal activity, including stealing our information and raiding our bank accounts. I didn't let him get as far as telling me what he was offering to do about it!
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 10:56AM
    Microsoft produce software - programs such as Word and Excel. They will have nothing to do with your internet. This is a scam.

The only company that will know anything about your internet is the company you pay to receive it (such as Sky, BT, VirginMedia, etc.) And even then they supply to hundreds/thousands of people so unless you complain to them about an issue, they probably wouldn't know either.

Stay safe

Edit: if the 'criminal activity' was true you could always ask for a police reference number and someone you could talk to at your local station - see how quickly they hang up! Just to be extra safe check your bank accounts to make sure you recognise everything that's gone out. If you do, put it out of your mind.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You've never supplied Microsoft with your contact details , how on earth would they know how to contact you .

Play games with them , make them wait while you "turn on your PC to find version of Windows" then tell them it says Linux

Ask them for the name of the person they are wishing to contact as it's a shared telephone number
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Charlton_King
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Good ideas. Thanks to all. I'm pretty sure it's just a scam but this so-and-so caught me at a vulnerable point such that my usual healthy scepticism wasn't quite its normal self!
  • Yes scammers I say we don't have a computer they then put the phone down lol
  • Had similar but claiming to be BT which is my ISP. Hung up and rang BT who confirmed scam and said we'll never ring you about a problem, it's up to you to ring us.
  • Charlton_King
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Just come off the line from BT tech support who say that scammers these days have ways of generating 'apparent origin' numbers when you dial 1471 which is, it seems, a way of appearing 'authentic' to potential victims.

Frankly, to me, the idea of Microsoft calling from Dursley while the actual guy claims he's calling from London is just weird. If you have this technology and you know you're going to claim you're in London, why not generate a London number or just use 'withheld'..?

Bizarre.
  • I never answer my landline . If someone wants me, it's Mobile only.
    I used to have an answerphone . Only family members and friends left messages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure