* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    peppy I do think really get any of the traditional body spray and shower gel sets for anyone, OH has sensitive skin so I never know how he'd react to any so that's him out. I buy for a couple of girls who are just getting into smellies so have started getting them things like lip gloss or small cans of body spray but in the past have got them some nice things like big character hot water bottle / pj covers. They're usually gifts that I can afford / are in budget in the sale but not at full price.
    We also have a couple of DN who are still in the Disney age range so things for parties (that they always seem to be going to) like nail sets or glittery body spray is good for them.
    This year I saw some additional bits for people I wouldn't normally buy early for, but really liked so that was a good buy IMO.

I love the darts at Xmas - actually went to bed as it was getting late during the second semi and couldn't sleep because I was too excited to see the result so sat in bed watching it on the iPad :o I love the fact there aren't many sports where people of such different ages can compete against each other.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Good Morning all, We have rain here again!!

Good job DH did not complete the outside painting because it would of been a waste of time. DD is unwell. we have had 2 really bad nights of bad temperatures, have had to bathe her down to get her temp down. She is dosed up on both calpol and ibruprofen spread out throughout the 24hrs. Thought it was tonsiltis but now not sure, she has lost her voice too, very raspy. If she isnt getting better by tomorrow it will have to be a trip to the drs. She even asked for Difflam in the moddle of the night last night, she absolutely hates that so it must be bad if she is asking me to get it. So im shattered! She is in bed with me and DH in her room as he has got a hectic week with work. He did paint the halway upstairs, just need to gloss that now but that is ususally my job as he is so heavy handed. I currently have emulsion all over my handbag, stair carpet and curtains. And breathe!!!
    Trying to work out a budget for the new year. Its difficult as we may need to scrape together every penny for a move but I want Christmas seperate. I have no idea what to start to put away monthly for it. Need to declutter again! I do not know how it all gets in here x lol
    Vulpix- I bet your bedroom will lok gorgeous when it is all done. Good thinking on the painting the lampshade idea.
    Stokiebecks- We all have those days, hope you managed to ride it out and are feeling better today.
    Peppa- LOL, I would love a bungalow in an ideal world but we would like a new build this time and bungalow are quite rare.
    Kerrigt- I am going to have a look in the sale online as im still unable to get out. DS likes jack wills so you cant go wrong with those toiletries if they are in the sale. And sister has a big birthday this year, she loves misguided stuff so will have a look online xx
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    msgiggle - I have been keeping an eye on the Boots sale but not really been impressed with it this year. Saying that I've not bought much at all in the sales, apart from some wrapping paper & a few little bits & pieces. I think at the moment I'm trying to focus on getting the house decluttered so the thought of buying more stuff doesn't work with my new focus :)

Hi murie, hope you are well. I do that sometimes, I don't always reply but I'm always reading & checking in on everybody.

Stokie - that damn cough has been bothering a lot of people. I hope you're feeling a little less fed up today! I always find January is a drag, the weather is rubbish, payday seems a long time away, there is nothing exciting to look forward to & is just generally miserable.

Hi bunbun, welcome back to the chat.

0462 - that's a great deal on the advent calendar. I wish I was good at finding these bargains. Good luck with the house sale, hopefully you will get a buyer soon that wants to move quickly & be in before the spring :)

vulpix- sounds like you're still on a mission. Great find with the curtains, I need to get a new pair for my bedroom but we will be redecorating that room this year so I will probably just keep the ones I've got until the decorating commences. Bedding is so expensive isn't it! We have got a super king size bed too, so makes it top of the bracket all the time. I usually only buy our bedding in the sales now but the problem with that is, they aren't always available.

kerri - I used to do a lot of my shopping in Boots, just used to do it by default, but over the last 2 years I bought a bit more in Superdrug mainly because of offers I'd spotted, but I certainly think they are better value for money than Boots now.

3forH - hope you are doing well.

Peppa - we have booked somebody in to start working on our back garden in around 6 weeks now, so that by the time the weather warms up it will be lovely.

I've had a busy weekend really. Put some furniture together, sorted through my daughters clothes & toys to get rid of some stuff & put some of her board games away properly, instead of having them stacked in the corner. I also put all our Christmas bedding in my ottoman, I usually keep them in the airing cupboard with the rest of our bedding, but they get in the way so I thought I'd put them somewhere that isn't used regularly. I also put some of our old bedding in a charity bag which is being collected today, so that clears up more space :). I feel like I achieved a lot this weekend, so I'm happy.
  • kerri_gt
    LMG1305 wrote: »
    I always find January is a drag, the weather is rubbish, payday seems a long time away, there is nothing exciting to look forward to & is just generally miserable.

Exactly what I say on NYE and why I don't get excited about New Year - and everyone calls me a bah humbug...but it's true :o
    JAN NSD 11/16

• jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Afternoon all, been a bit awol but am reading along.

Its DD's big 10 birthday tomorrow :eek: she's very excited but im a bit :( at the thought of my baby being in double figures, im just not ready! She very helpfully wrote me a birthday present wish list . . unfortunately she wrote it yesterday *rolls eyes*, DH was after a new xbox game so we wandered out to the city and I actually managed to find 2 of the games she was after in the sale at g@me so snapped them up and was talked into some wireless headphones for her as well, so my amazing idea of a trip to Harry potter has again been side lined and we've said we're going to stop trying to do it as a present and just book it later in the year on a whim as a special treat for her as she's never one to ask for things through out the year.

I too am feeling the january blues, its just such a sad month, so long and cold and dreary, im not much of a fan of february either but at least you can say its only 4 weeks long, january just seems to stretch on for an eternity, I swear the calendars are lying, there is no way this month has 31 days! feels more like 131! :rotfl:

Also looked in Mr T for reduced toys for next years giving tree but they were surprisingly lacking! I usually get something each january :eek: did pick up 2 packs of gift tags for 5p each, not sure I needed them but I just couldn't turn down 5p gift tags! :rotfl:

Good luck with the move 0462

Sorry if I haven't commented on anything else I should have done, im struggling a bit with the health again and I just cannot retain information at the minute, I read it and !!!!!!! it disappears into the corner recesses of my mind never to be seen again :o
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Glad I am not the only one who finds January a bit dreary.

Had a day off today and it's been grey and wet so stayed in (well apart from doing the food shop) and watched films :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jake's mum hope your daughter has a great birthday!
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Quieter in here now. I do find it harder to post with less Christmas stuff happening, but I'll try and post at least once a week.

We several inches of snow with more expected overnight. It does look lovely and the kids have been out playing since school finished. But I like my snow before Christmas lol.

Picked up a few things in the sales, a denim jacket for me and bits and bobs for my youngests birthday in May.

Still not decided whether to move or not. I really don't want to, but makes sense financially.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • kerri_gt
    I caved and bought a pack of 10 Christmas cards in Clintins reduced to 99p. Didn't need them but they made me laugh.

Also found a Nails Inc bauble in local B00ts (despite store showing as OOS online) well there were actually two but I only really needed one and one had slightly battered packaging. Have heard murmurings that the 70% sale is on tomorrow but Friday seems more likely.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Well done KERRI, only buying what you need/want in the sales is when you get a real bargain. I tend to spoil it by buying more than one when I spot a 'bargain' and ending up with things I've got no recipients for so I'm going to try not to do that this year.

Hope DD enjoyed her birthday JAKESMUM, it pulls the heartstrings when they reach these milestone birthdays doesn't it. When I look at my girls now they're grown up I can't believe it, I can remember being their age so clearly and it only seems a short time ago.

0462 hope DD is feeling better now. Your post reminded me that I'm supposed to be budgeting for Christmas this year so I've started with all the big bills that aren't paid monthly (insurance, car servicing etc) and tonight I'll work out how much we need for pressies across the year and at Christmas so I can be sure how much I need to put away each month. I haven't really got used to not having my salary coming in every month but I used to budget well years ago before I earned good money so I'm confident I can do it again if I really try. I find it hard to budget when the money I'm putting aside is in the bank so for now I'm going back to my envelopes and I'm going to try using cash instead of the credit card. I pay it off in full every month but I do buy more if I'm not parting with real money.

No Christmas planning here (other than aforesaid budgeting) but I'll still be getting my daily Christmas fix from our lovely thread.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • kerri_gt
    Peppapig wrote: »
    Well done KERRI, only buying what you need/want in the sales is when you get a real bargain. I tend to spoil it by buying more than one when I spot a 'bargain' and ending up with things I've got no recipients for so I'm going to try not to do that this year.

Hope DD enjoyed her birthday JAKESMUM, it pulls the heartstrings when they reach these milestone birthdays doesn't it. When I look at my girls now they're grown up I can't believe it, I can remember being their age so clearly and it only seems a short time ago.

Thanks - I kind of fell at the xmas card hurdle though but for 99p I'm not going to flog myself. :o:D

It's not just parents who can't believe where the time goes - I look at our older DN's who are all passing the 18yrs milestone and cannot believe it - I remember being that age as if it were yesterday - though I am sure there is an element of rose tinted spectacles associated with that too.

Peppa I know what you mean about overbuying items - I've done that in the past and am trying to make a conscious effort to either give things I've bought (still with appropriate recipients). use them myself or sell them even if it's at a loss. That said....I've just remembered two candles in the Xmas dec box which I'd bought for other people and don't seem to have been given :o
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family