I want to stop drowning

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning,

We went on a day trip yesterday and spent more than I was hoping to spend.

Today I need to:

Check pay from small job
    Post item
    Clean floors
    Washing
    See if finances add up
    Do some learning with ds
    Ring both hospitals ( bk my appt and chase dd)
    Go for bloods and medical
    Start a diary

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • debtaghh
    edited 29 July 2017 at 7:31AM
    Morning,

I have a busy day today with ppl coming over for my dd bday but am not doing lunch just drinks and snacks. It still adds up though. I had bought my dd a few presents but to save money have asked my sister if she wouldn't mind buying one off me to save money and she was happy to do that.

I've made a few sales this week which is good and finally got my £100 prepaid card yesterday from the BT offer I did a while a go. I haven't decided whether to keep it for Xmas presents or if I should use it now for food etc🤔

I feel like I really want to pay more off the debt but am also scared that I'll leave myself short again. I have 3k in my bank from the transfers that I did but that needs to cover things like Xmas, sch trips, holidays already I booked until the end of 2018. It's so tempting to just use a bit towards the debt but I need to remember the reason I did the transfers was to aliviate stress!

I'm really hoping that if we are very disciplined from now until the end of the year that we will be able to afford our monthly outgoings easier from Jan and include savings for Xmas, car etc but to achieve that we need to get our minimums down!

My dad told me yesterday that he will kindly give me between £50 to £100 towards dd school trip which is great!

I also think he will give me some money for my dd bday today ( he normally tells me to keep it towards the food etc).

Anyway I'm rambling!

I need to:

Post item
    Pop to Lidl
    Unpack food shopping delivery
    Put the decorations up and bake
    Replenish downstairs toilet

We are hopefully off to the beach tomorrow if the weather is nice.

Have s lovely weekend.
  • debtaghh
    edited 30 July 2017 at 8:15AM
    Morning,

I've been thinking a lot lately about money and have decided a few things:

We need to reduce our minimums drastically to be able to afford our outgoings comfortably including savings for car maintenance, Xmas, holidays, emergencies etc. For us to achieve this we need to really cut back. The food budget is a massive issue and junk and treats need to go! They cost a lot of money, are unhealthy and don't help me with maintaining my weight that I spent so long to lose!

We need to stop doing big celebrations as it all adds up!

Meal plan and stick to it.

See friends less as it costs fuel to see them or money on food. I don't mean this in a rude or tight way but just mean instead of seeing ppl monthly change it to every 6 weeks.

No going out on Xmas events this year apart from the panto that is booked and paid for.

Limit going out for lunches and dinner in general.

Not that we have many takeaways but no more than 2 from September to December.

I'm going to start from September as we are going away in August and have things booked in. I have already cancelled extra activities that I had paid for on holiday and got a refund.

Apart from milk, bread and a bit of fruit no buying any food until we return from our holiday.

I'm saving 50ps for things that I need that aren't urgent but need replacing e.g my hand bag broke a year ago but my husband tied it together and it's still like that. It is getting worse and I really could do with one but I will have to wait as I'm very fussy with bags and they tend to cost £50 but I keep them for years. I have about £20 so far. I currently have an empty terramundi pot and am thinking to start putting £2 coins in there for a holiday abroad or a car for my daughter when she turns 17 in a year and a half :eek:we haven't been abroad on a beach holiday in 9 years but we have been away in the U.K.

I'm feeling very focused and determined! I'm sick of this debt it causes me serious depression and chronic pains due to the anxiety and I'm sick of it. Only I can do something about it so here goes!
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Morning,

I've been thinking a lot lately about money and have decided a few things:

We need to reduce our minimums drastically to be able to afford our outgoings comfortably including savings for car maintenance, Xmas, holidays, emergencies etc. For us to achieve this we need to really cut back. The food budget is a massive issue and junk and treats need to go! They cost a lot of money, are unhealthy and don't help me with maintaining my weight that I spent so long to lose!

We need to stop doing big celebrations as it all adds up!

Meal plan and stick to it.

See friends less as it costs fuel to see them or money on food. I don't mean this in a rude or tight way but just mean instead of seeing ppl monthly change it to every 6 weeks.

No going out on Xmas events this year apart from the panto that is booked and paid for.

Limit going out for lunches and dinner in general.

Not that we have many takeaways but no more than 2 from September to December.

I'm going to start from September as we are going away in August and have things booked in. I have already cancelled extra activities that I had paid for on holiday and got a refund.

Apart from milk, bread and a bit of fruit no buying any food until we return from our holiday.

I'm saving 50ps for things that I need that aren't urgent but need replacing e.g my hand bag broke a year ago but my husband tied it together and it's still like that. It is getting worse and I really could do with one but I will have to wait as I'm very fussy with bags and they tend to cost £50 but I keep them for years. I have about £20 so far. I currently have an empty terramundi pot and am thinking to start putting £2 coins in there for a holiday abroad or a car for my daughter when she turns 17 in a year and a half :eek:we haven't been abroad on a beach holiday in 9 years but we have been away in the U.K.

I'm feeling very focused and determined! I'm sick of this debt it causes me serious depression and chronic pains due to the anxiety and I'm sick of it. Only I can do something about it so here goes!

Wow you sound determined today. Thanks for the post. This debt busting occupies a lot of my mind as well. Next week I'm going to look at our utilities properly and try and save on them too. I have started saving a set amount per month so we have some money in the bank for any unforeseen expenses. It is making me feel less stressed knowing we have a bit of a cushion.
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • debtaghh
    Wow you sound determined today. Thanks for the post. This debt busting occupies a lot of my mind as well. Next week I'm going to look at our utilities properly and try and save on them too. I have started saving a set amount per month so we have some money in the bank for any unforeseen expenses. It is making me feel less stressed knowing we have a bit of a cushion.

Thanks. I definitely think it does help feeling less stressed even with debt knowing you have a safety cushion. I do feel determined and focused!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,573 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I have not read your diary for a while so glad you still posting. Sorry things still such a struggle but from your posts you have a mountain to climb. It looks like you are not using the credit cards for spending but paying minimums and incurring balance transfer fees will slow the debt reduction down. I know you love holidays but is it worth not booking them because the stress of finding the money for them will far outweigh the benefit?

I know you said you feel you are depriving the children but your daughter is a teenager now and the best lesson you can give is you have to live within your means. Childhood is a relatively short period and they have their whole lives in front of them to travel should they wish. I sometimes think we justify spending out on holidays because we don't want to deprive the kids but most of the time they don't care so long as their parents are happy and not stressed. Give yourself a break from trying to keep up with people who are better off and just do what is right for you. If the holiday honestly makes the scrimping through the year worth it then fine but if you have to balance transfer for it and keep adding debt on when you are trying so hard to reduce it, ask yourself if it is worth it and just stay home next year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    I have not read your diary for a while so glad you still posting. Sorry things still such a struggle but from your posts you have a mountain to climb. It looks like you are not using the credit cards for spending but paying minimums and incurring balance transfer fees will slow the debt reduction down. I know you love holidays but is it worth not booking them because the stress of finding the money for them will far outweigh the benefit?

I know you said you feel you are depriving the children but your daughter is a teenager now and the best lesson you can give is you have to live within your means. Childhood is a relatively short period and they have their whole lives in front of them to travel should they wish. I sometimes think we justify spending out on holidays because we don't want to deprive the kids but most of the time they don't care so long as their parents are happy and not stressed. Give yourself a break from trying to keep up with people who are better off and just do what is right for you. If the holiday honestly makes the scrimping through the year worth it then fine but if you have to balance transfer for it and keep adding debt on when you are trying so hard to reduce it, ask yourself if it is worth it and just stay home next year.

You are completely right. I stress all year to find the money for one week and it really isn't worth it. I have already booked next years but it is a lot cheaper than what I had originally booked but shouldn't have booked anything. What I have also come to realise with regards to my teenager is what ever I give her will never be deemed as enough as her friends apparently have more. This just makes me want to give her less to be honest.

Had a lovely day today and didn't spend any where near as much to what I had allocated so am very pleased. Kids all had a great day.
  • debtaghh
    Morning,

I was glad not to spend as much yesterday.

I have put on 3lbs in a week due to celebrations :eek: I am definitely not buying any more junk for a long time! It's too easy to gain weight and will save me money as well. If I have this determination whilst I'm on holiday then that will be good as hopefully I won't put on weight and waste money!

Today I'm aiming to pop to town with the children and go to the library and post my item. I need to also buy a few bits.

Today I have a mounting of washing that needs doing, I need to sort the kitchen out, dust and clean the glass.

I need to check the finances as I have had something pending for days but no clue what it is, which is odd as I log everything.

I'm still feeling very determined, let's hope it lasts!

Infact I might also meal plan for when I get back from my holidays to see what food I can use from home. I might even set myself a challenge of a certain amount of money I can spend the rest of the year on food including toiletries🤔 I want it to be realistic but also a challenge!
  • debtaghh
    edited 1 August 2017 at 7:07AM
    Morning,

I can't believe it's August already!

I managed to get all my jobs done yesterday and clear my laundry basket, I even managed to dry a load outside.

My dad came round and asked if I wanted to do a balance transfer on his credit card as it was 0% until Oct 2020! I did it as had a few due to end at the beginning of next year which was worrying.

I'm planning a nsd today. I have a friend coming over and staying for a few days so will meal plan for the rest of the month when she leaves and see what is left.

I have a spare £20 in my account so am going to divide that between paying cc, top up Xmas savings and car savings ... it all adds up.

Have a lovely day everyone.

P.s: I didn't gain 3lbs, my scales have been broken for months. I weighed myself at my sister's house on 3 scales and haven't put on the 3lbs.
  • Great news regarding balance transfer.

Hope you have a great day.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback