PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning pans

Comments

• Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Yep always wash pans inside and out - if anything is burnt on too badly I do the same as welshbookworm and boil up some biological washing powder in there and that always clears it.
    I always wash my coffee cups between each use as well - I can!!!8217;t understand why you wouldn!!!8217;t.
  • bouicca21 wrote: »
    Ok it's me then (I do wash the outsides but clearly not thoroughly enough). when I moved out of the marital home I bought cheap ones, but I am about to replace them and want to keep the new ones nice.

It's not just you, all ours get flung in the dishwasher but still get black scorch marks on the outside that are a pain, or impossible to remove. We've got some coppery bottomed ones that look cool when they get used, so I can live with it.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I stick them all in the dishwasher, they come out good as new, inside and out.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Forumite
    If you have a gas hob I find pans do get "seasoned" on the outside over time even if well-washed with each use. It's not "crud/food" stuff so I don't worry too much about it - shows the pans are well used...:D
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    If you have a gas hob I find pans do get "seasoned" on the outside over time even if well-washed with each use. It's not "crud/food" stuff so I don't worry too much about it - shows the pans are well used...:D

No disrespect caronc, but I had a gas hob for years with copper bottomed stainless steel pans that you could see your face in

and believe me, I never go looking for housework :rotfl:

Just every time I washed them I used aa stainless steel scourer on them, and if they did start looking dull, a scrub with a bit of salt and half a lemon brought them up lovely

Or the easy non MSE way, was Peeks metal cleaner
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    +1 for the Astonish stuff.
    We used it on an iron which had "overheated" on some school trousers (well, that's what the lad said) and after we peeled off the remaining "fabric", the Astonish stuff cleaned all the rest of the gunk off.

I must suggest we try it on the undersides of pans...
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    No disrespect caronc, but I had a gas hob for years with copper bottomed stainless steel pans that you could see your face in

Just every time I washed them I used aa stainless steel scourer on them, and if they did start looking dull, a scrub with a bit of salt and half a lemon brought them up lovely

So did I. Until somebody who creates what seems like new enamel out of spillages and MAXIMUM FIRE ALL THE TIME moved in and started [strike]ruining every last pan, pot and dish in the house[/strike] taking over the cooking whilst I went out to work. Turning a brand new copper bottomed enamel pan sludge brown inside and out within 48 hours/2 meals is the record so far.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »

Fair enough no offence taken :)- but not all pans can be scrubbed that way so can get tarnished. Mine are stainless steel so respond well to scrubbing/scouring so after 15+ years of use are clean outside/in but pans with coated outsides can't be cleaned this way so do get stained:)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I must be a paid up member of the mucky brigade. :)

I wash properly on the inside and any food stains on the outside plus a wipe over to get any grease off. But if a bit of a layer build up on the outside, so be it. Can't be doing with overnight soaking or anything like that. Don't see the point - I'm not eating off that bit and it's not leave my any grease marks on anything else so if there's a bit of discolouration I'm not fussed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »

Just every time I washed them I used a stainless steel scourer on them, and if they did start looking dull, a scrub with a bit of salt and half a lemon brought them up lovely

thats what mine are though brushed steel with gas hob so you can't see your face in them but they are fine to clean with a brillo pad if need dictates. Though, I am covetting some copper pans.. they just look beautiful... I'd possibly just hang them on the wall and never use them!

I always use a bigger pan than I could get away with too.. so there are very few dribbles on the outside to burn on... just as a thought.. maybe size up a pan and the outsides are less grotty after cooking.

My nanna used to help me by washing my pots and she would wash them in near cold water and draw a circle in the dirt on the plate then put it on the drainer so it all needed washing again.. and my mil only washes the tops of plates and prongs of forks and not always well either.. I check them carefully before use..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts