Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 9:09 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 2Thanks
    rosey-789
    Advice needed on rent
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:09 PM
    Advice needed on rent 18th Oct 19 at 9:09 PM
    We are mixed age couple. I have been told by the council and welfare rights again because I receive £64. and my partner £168 state pension we aren't entitled to help with the rent and that I would have to pay from the carers £79 per week rent payments and that we couldn't claim universal credit as they would also tell us we aren't entitled. I'm at my wits end as by the time we pay full rent and council tax along with bills and food we aren't going to manage. My partner is on pip and gets high rate for mobility and middle care.
Page 2
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 11:11 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    I don’t know what the £78.02 you have quoted refers to.

When you do a benefits check you need to put in that your husband has LCWRA (even though this will not be paid for the first three months). This will change the result.

This is my manual calculation

Standard allowance. £498.89
    Housing element £342.33 (assuming you are entitled to £79/week*)
    LCWRA element £336.20
    Carer element £160.20
    Maximum UC = £1,337.62

Income
    Pension £728 (£168/week)
    Carer’s Allowance £286.65 (£66.15/week)
    Total income = £1,014.65

UC payable = £1,337.62 - £1,014.65 = £322.97

You will have 3 months of nil entitlement and then receive this amount from the fourth month. This is enough to cover almost all of your rent. * Note I have assumed full entitlement to help with your rent at £79/week. This may not be the case if you have a spare bedroom and are subject to 'bedroom tax'.

I cannot manually work out whether you have entitlement to help with Council Tax but think you will be entitled.
    Last edited by calcotti; 19-10-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 19th Oct 19, 9:52 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    huckster
    I am really confused by the person posting these threads.

They have also posted to Consumer Action Group (CAG), providing conflicting information. According to CAG the Pension starts from November, so presumably their husband is still receiving ESA and in the Support group.

"We are a mixed aged couple and my partner receives his state pension of £168 per week beginning of November."

I don't want to be rude, but either the person posting these threads is totally incapable of dealing with this matter or they are being deliberately vague.

On the CAG thread they were asked about other benefits and did not advise about the PIP claim. Why not disclose this, so people are clear about the the exact position ?
    Last edited by huckster; 19-10-2019 at 9:55 AM.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 19th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    huckster
    So do the benefits changes only start from November 2019 ?

Pension start date ?

ESA claim still running, but will be closed from pension start date ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 10:46 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    So do the benefits changes only start from November 2019 ?

Pension start date ?

ESA claim still running, but will be closed from pension start date ?
    Originally posted by huckster
    These are really important questions. If the pension has not yet started I would recommend claiming UC a few days in advance of reaching State Pension age. Although this will end the ESA claim slightly early it would result in the UC claim and the ESA claim being continuous in which case husband should be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of the UC claim and will not have to wait for 3 months. Hopefully they will also avoid a WCA reassessment.

On the CAG thread they were asked about other benefits and did not advise about the PIP claim. Why not disclose this, so people are clear about the the exact position ?
    OP, you must realise that any advice given here can only be based on the information you provide. If the information is incomplete the advice may not be appropriate to your circumstances.
    Last edited by calcotti; 19-10-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 10:55 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    I am really confused by the person posting these threads.

They have also posted to Consumer Action Group (CAG), providing conflicting information. According to CAG the Pension starts from November, so presumably their husband is still receiving ESA and in the Support group.
    Hadn't spotted that. I can now see that most of what is covered in this thread has already been fully covered here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6000713
    • huckster
    • By huckster 19th Oct 19, 11:51 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    huckster
    So as your husband is currently receiving ESA in the support group, you both claim Universal Credit as a couple before the start date of the Pension.

This must be done before the Pension start date which will end the ESA claim, to protect entitlement of support group/LCWRA.

Universal Credit can add the support group equivalent of LCWRA, which I think is £336.20 and I don't think the LCWRA would then be subject to reassessment. I believe Government announced that those of pension age would not be subject to reassessment. But this would need to be checked.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 19th Oct 19, 4:17 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    I am very sorry and don't mean to mislead anyone with my posts and I did mention he receives pip. I didn't actually think him being on esa at moment would make a difference as that stops the 5 Nov and his state pension starts. I'm not very educated or up on benefits hence my confusion and worry in my posts and just wanted to seek advice and help from others online as we aren't getting any from welfare rights or council. my partner has recently recovered from a heart attack and I have a newly diagnosed irregular heartbeat and this is all very worrying so if anyone thinks I'm being untruthful I can only apologise for it and thank you for the advice you have all given me.

It was a lady from welfare rights who told us not to claim uc or we'd lose the carers allowance.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th Oct 19, 4:21 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I am very sorry and don't mean to mislead anyone with my posts and I did mention he receives pip. I didn't actually think him being on esa at moment would make a difference as that stops the 5 Nov and his state pension starts. I'm not very educated or up on benefits hence my confusion and worry in my posts and just wanted to seek advice and help from others online as we aren't getting any from welfare rights or council. my partner has recently recovered from a heart attack and I have a newly diagnosed irregular heartbeat and this is all very worrying so if anyone thinks I'm being untruthful I can only apologise for it and thank you for the advice you have all given me.

It was a lady from welfare rights who told us not to claim uc or we'd lose the carers allowance.
    Originally posted by rosey-789
    You were given the exact same advice in your thread 5 months ago. You now need to take calcotti's advice in post #24.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 4:32 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    OP, to be absolutely clear.
    If your husband reaches State Pension age on 5th November I recommend you claim UC before then. I believe you will then be entitled to UC as detailed at post #21. Your total monthly income will, by my calculation, be £1,337.62 plus PIP. You may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax too.

If you delay claiming UC until after 5th November you will lose out on 3 months of payments.
    Last edited by calcotti; 19-10-2019 at 5:13 PM. Reason: 'plus PIP' added.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 19th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    OP, to be absolutely clear.
    If your husband reaches State Pension age on 5th November I recommend you claim UC before then. I believe you will then be entitled to UC as detailed at post #21. Your total monthly income will, by my calculation, be £1,337.62. You may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax too.

If you delay claiming UC until after 5th November you will lose out on 3 months of payments.
    Originally posted by calcotti

When would you suggest applying for it because the welfare rights lady said we'd lose that weeks last payment of esa and to wait till we received then start the claim on the 5th.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 19th Oct 19, 5:03 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    huckster
    Why not apply for UC on 4th November 2019.

Your ESA will end from 4th November 2019 anyway, so you will receive ESA up to this date.

It might be advisable that you ask for help with the process of applying for UC online, as you need to make sure you get all of the details correct.

When I commented about you leaving information out, some people do this deliberately on online forums for privacy or other reasons and some people are just not able to deal with such things as benefit claims.

The Job Centre might be able to assist you, if you ask for help in advance. They may be able to book you in to receive digital assistance.
    Last edited by huckster; 19-10-2019 at 5:06 PM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 5:27 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    When would you suggest applying for it because the welfare rights lady said we'd lose that weeks last payment of esa and to wait till we received then start the claim on the 5th.
    If you claim sooner your ESA and Housing benefit will stop sooner but your UC will start sooner. Given there are only just over 2 weeks to go and your obvious uncertainty about the process I would suggest you do not leave it until 4th November because if anything goes wrong such that you do not complete the claim on that date you will then experience the 3 month wait.

If you have a Citizens Advice near you they may offer a Help to Claim service.

At the moment I assume your income is Carer's Allowance £66.15, Housing benefit £79/week and ESA of £148.19 (if I have calculated it right) which is £293.34/week plus the PIP. This is equivalent to £1,271.14/month plus PIP) which is less than your UC entitlement so I really see little reason to delay. In fact I think it is better to claim now because if you do your Housing Benefit will run on for two weeks after claiming UC even though you will also get help for this period within your UC. if you claim on 4th November you will not get that run on because your Housing Benefit is due to end on 4th November anyway as a result of your husband reaching pension age.

Do bear in mind there is likely to be disruption to your cash flow as you switch over from your old benefits to the new one.
    • The Carer's Allowance and PIP will keep coming without change.
    • ESA entitlement will end the day you claim UC (Unless you ask for an advance but if you do this it is a loan which has to be repaid over 12 months.)
    • Housing Benefit will end two weeks after you claim UC or on 4th November, whichever is earlier.
    • Your first monthly UC payment will come 5 weeks after you claim.
    • When your husband's State Pension comes will depend on what frequency he has asked for it to be paid. Usually this is paid every 4 weeks but it is difficult to predict when the first payment will come.
    If you are already getting Council Tax Reduction there is no need to make a new claim. Just tell your local authority that you have claimed UC. They will recalculate your Council Tax Reduction based on information provided to them by DWP about your UC claim.

My advice, get on and claim it now. Be prepared to need a Fit Note for your husband. Get help from Citizens Advice Help to Claim service if you need it and it is available.
    You will both normally be required to attend the JobCentre to complete the claim but if your husband's health claim prevents this you can request a home visit - to do this you will need to ring the helpline.

Lots of information on how to claim here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/starting-your-universal-credit-claim/
    Last edited by calcotti; 19-10-2019 at 5:43 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th Oct 19, 6:05 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    poppy12345
    To add to all the excellent advice here, don't forget to report that you are a carer when you claim UC, if you don't then they won't add the carers element to your claim.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 6:08 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    To add to all the excellent advice here, don't forget to report that you are a carer when you claim UC, if you don't then they won't add the carers element to your claim.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Good point. It should be picked up because OP is in receipt of CA but tell them once, tell them twice and tell them again is a good approach!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th Oct 19, 6:11 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Good point. It should be picked up because OP is in receipt of CA but tell them once, tell them twice and tell them again is a good approach!
    "should be" being a good word but unfortunately, doesn't always happen.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 19th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    If I start a uc claim this week as I could ask ageuk or the carers charity to help us with it would this mean we'd lose the one weeks payment which is due the 1st. Thank you for every ones help.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 7:43 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    If I start a uc claim this week as I could ask ageuk or the carers charity to help us with it would this mean we'd lose the one weeks payment which is due the 1st. Thank you for every ones help.
    Thinking about it again, despite the Housing Benefit run on and what I said earlier, huckster is right to suggest that the 4th November is the ideal date (because UC is calculated on circumstances at the end of the assessment period). However I strongly think you should not leave it to then in case something goes wrong. Perhaps claiming around the 29th/30th would be sensible. You may effectively lose a week of ESA as a result but a 3 month delay to getting the LCWRA element will cost you much more.

If you are going to get help you may need to book an appointment anyway so itís worth contacting them on Monday to see what is possible.

It really shouldnít be this complicated and it is ridiculous that claimants such as yourself need to think about the timing of making claims.
    Last edited by calcotti; 19-10-2019 at 8:09 PM.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 19th Oct 19, 8:27 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    Thinking about it again, despite the Housing Benefit run on and what I said earlier, huckster is right to suggest that the 4th November is the ideal date (because UC is calculated on circumstances at the end of the assessment period). However I strongly think you should not leave it to then in case something goes wrong. Perhaps claiming around the 29th/30th would be sensible. You may effectively lose a week of ESA as a result but a 3 month delay to getting the LCWRA element will cost you much more.

If you are going to get help you may need to book an appointment anyway so itís worth contacting them on Monday to see what is possible.

It really shouldnít be this complicated and it is ridiculous that claimants such as yourself need to think about the timing of making claims.

I'll go see someone Monday for help with it. You know this LCWRA ? Does this mean if they don't give us it they could force my partner to look for work as he isn't fit for that.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th Oct 19, 8:30 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I'll go see someone Monday for help with it. You know this LCWRA ? Does this mean if they don't give us it they could force my partner to look for work as he isn't fit for that.
    That won't happen because he's in the Support Group for ESA and that award will transfer to UC, although there maybe a delay in doing this, as advised previously.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Oct 19, 8:39 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    calcotti
    As poppy says the LCWRA status should be transferred across.

However even without this neither of you would be required to look for work or undertake any work related activity. Your husband would be exempt from 5th November because of reaching pension age. You are exempt because you are caring for someone who receives the Daily Living part of PIP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,316Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter