Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Jester
    • By The Jester 17th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    • 224Posts
    • 54Thanks
    The Jester
    0 WOW
    Buying a travelling Waistcoat.
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    0 WOW
    Buying a travelling Waistcoat. 17th Oct 19 at 9:31 AM
    I'm going on holiday soon to Vietnam. I plan on flying to Cambodia for a few days and plan to leave my bag at the hotel in Vietnam because the flight company want too much to take it with me.

Can anyone recommend one of those travelling waistcoats that I read about a few years ago. The ones where you can stuff a netbook in the back etc?

Page 1
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 17th Oct 19, 1:43 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:43 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 1:43 PM
    Get one made in Vietnam- actually glad you made me think of this as Im doing exactly the same trip over Xmas. Cambodia Angkor air or Vietjet I assume Ideas at https://www.skyscanner.net/news/best-wearable-luggage-jackets-reviewed-beat-airline-baggage-charges
    Last edited by alwaysskint96; 17-10-2019 at 1:46 PM.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 17th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    How much stuff are you planning to take, I can take enough bits for 3 days in a small school size backpack, having to pack for 2/3 different weather/temp (gotta love Canada ) you won't need much especially in Cambodia/Vietnam a couple of changes of underwear and t-shirts.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • scalextric
    • By scalextric 17th Oct 19, 10:05 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    scalextric
    • 17th Oct 19, 10:05 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 10:05 PM
    I would agree with taking a shool bag type bag. I have been to a few places and take that sort of bag.
    • kattie89
    • By kattie89 18th Oct 19, 4:03 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    kattie89
    • 18th Oct 19, 4:03 AM
    • 18th Oct 19, 4:03 AM
    How much stuff are you planning to take, I can take enough bits for 3 days in a small school size backpack ...
    Well, it all depends on what you mean by "small backpack", hah. The best choice for me is Timbuk2 Command (by the way, found here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/), because it has all the pockets I need and it's size is perfect for travelling purposes, you know. It will fit you even for any kind of business deals, as well.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 18th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 18th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    Well, it all depends on what you mean by "small backpack", hah. The best choice for me is Timbuk2 Command (by the way, found here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/), because it has all the pockets I need and it's size is perfect for travelling purposes, you know. It will fit you even for any kind of business deals, as well.
    Originally posted by kattie89
    Its maybe 10-15 lts it cost $5 from Walmart (Asda) Just something cheap when I'm on a 2 job day so have to take a separate uniform and shoes. But it turned out the right size for overnight/weekend trips I do use a packing bag/cube just to keep all of my clothes together.

OP it depends on what your using as your hand luggage? as this maybe suitable, if not you can defiantly pick up a cheap small bag from one of the markets that will "fit under the seat in front of you"

Edit: I'm just suggesting a bag vs a travel waistcoat as I'm not sure if you've been to SE Asia but it is HOT and humid the less amount of layers the better!

Edit 2: don't be this guy! https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/8xvezx/this-guy-put-on-ten-layers-of-clothes-when-he-was-unable-to-pay-a-bag-fee-vgtrn?utm_source=reddit.com
    Last edited by sazaccount; 18-10-2019 at 6:51 PM.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 19th Oct 19, 6:34 AM
    • 5,290 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 19th Oct 19, 6:34 AM
    • 19th Oct 19, 6:34 AM
    Those "travelling waistcoats" look like more hassle than they're worth. Go to any market stall in Vietnam and you'll get a 10-20 litre backpack/messenger bag for a few pounds which will easily be within any airline's carry-on policy.
    • IvanOpinion
    • By IvanOpinion 20th Oct 19, 7:27 AM
    • 20,036 Posts
    • 19,868 Thanks
    IvanOpinion
    • 20th Oct 19, 7:27 AM
    • 20th Oct 19, 7:27 AM
    Just a word of warning. A friend of mine got one of those jackets. it cost him his tablet and mobile phone that both ended up getting broken. As he said, it was so uncomfortable and warm, so he kept taking it off, on several occasions the weight made it slide off whatever he set it on and drop to the floor, then the thew it in the overhead ... somewhere in among those actions his items got broken.
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,860Posts Today

9,278Users online

Martin's Twitter