Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ninja687
    • By ninja687 17th Oct 19, 12:02 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ninja687
    Paying off budgeting advance loan early so can I apply for another one immediately?
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:02 AM
    Paying off budgeting advance loan early so can I apply for another one immediately? 17th Oct 19 at 12:02 AM
    I'm not sure which category my question falls under but would appreciate some help.

I am wondering if its possible to to pay my universal credit budgeting advance in full early and if so, how long do I need to wait before I can apply for another one? Is it possible to get another budgeting advance loan immediately or is there a cooling off period?

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Page 1
    • ninja687
    • By ninja687 17th Oct 19, 12:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ninja687
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:05 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:05 AM
    Just to add

I took out a £100 advance and only have £25 left to pay. I'm in urgent need of funds and want to know if anyone else was successful in getting a second loan straight after paying the first one off?
    • ninja687
    • By ninja687 17th Oct 19, 2:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ninja687
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:48 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 2:48 AM
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 17th Oct 19, 6:24 AM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 3,005 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 17th Oct 19, 6:24 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 6:24 AM
    Ask on the benefits board as you will get advice their, this board is for regular loans from banks etc.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 35,280 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by ninja687
    Posting at nearly 3am you will find its pretty much a ghost town round here for some reason.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    I will move this to benefits
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Oct 19, 10:50 AM
    • 6,162 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th Oct 19, 10:50 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 10:50 AM
    You can pay the existing budgeting advance early but you won't be able to apply for another until it shows on the system that you've paid the previous one off. I have no idea how long that will take.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Oct 19, 5:11 PM
    • 35,280 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:11 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 5:11 PM
    Any news OP ?
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 20th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 20th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    Just because you pay one off, doe not automatically make you elgible for another one.

Normally it's every 6 months.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 20th Oct 19, 10:10 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Just because you pay one off, doe not automatically make you elgible for another one.

Normally it's every 6 months.
    Originally posted by tomtom256
    You are wrong, it's not every 6 months at all, where did you get that information from? every people who paid they advance off can apply for another one as long as the person meets the criteria again and not earn a lot in wages and some people can get another one on the same day as when the advance payment has been repaid.

If you don't believe me, check on Facebook groups like - Universal Credit help from The Sun - Universal Credit Essentials - UNIVERSAL CREDIT SURVIVAL!

I think you need to do research first before you make any comments and misleading people.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st Oct 19, 7:20 AM
    • 6,162 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    poppy12345
    You are wrong, it's not every 6 months at all, where did you get that information from? every people who paid they advance off can apply for another one as long as the person meets the criteria again and not earn a lot in wages and some people can get another one on the same day as when the advance payment has been repaid.

If you don't believe me, check on Facebook groups like - Universal Credit help from The Sun - Universal Credit Essentials - UNIVERSAL CREDIT SURVIVAL!

I think you need to do research first before you make any comments and misleading people.
    Originally posted by Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Calm down, we all make mistakes here, non of us are experts. Tomtom was most likely thinking of the 6 month rule, where you need to be claiming UC for this length of time before you can apply.

As previously advised, once the existing budgeting advance has been paid back you still need to wait until this shows on the computer before applying for another. This means that you won't be able to apply straight away.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 21st Oct 19, 7:58 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    calcotti
    Calm down, we all make mistakes here, non of us are experts. Tomtom was most likely thinking of the 6 month rule, where you need to be claiming UC for this length of time before you can apply.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    As an aside, I think the six month rule for the first advance can include time on other means tested benefits immediately prior to claiming UC (if applicable).
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st Oct 19, 8:04 AM
    • 6,162 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    poppy12345
    As an aside, I think the six month rule for the first advance can include time on other means tested benefits immediately prior to claiming UC (if applicable).
    Originally posted by calcotti
    It would seem logical that it does, providing there's no gap between claiming. I forgot to mention that, thanks.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 21st Oct 19, 9:48 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    tomtom256

Thats actually what internal DWP guidance state.

A new claim or benefit transfer advances for UC can normally be obtained in first AP, after that it's generally a budgeting advance which is normally either for helping you to start or keep paid work or for white goods etc.

The UC systems actually decides if you are entitled.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 21st Oct 19, 10:17 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    calcotti
    Worrying if internal guidance says there has to be a six month wait between loans. None of the public information I can find says this. For example https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/other-financial-support
    Eligibility
    To get a Budgeting Advance, all of the following must apply:
    • you’ve been getting Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or State Pension Credit for 6 months or more, unless you need the money to help you start a new job or stay in work
    • you’ve earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 together for couples) in the past 6 months
    • you’ve paid off any previous Budgeting Advance loans
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 21st Oct 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    MarkN88
    I’ve had family that have had them and not gd to wait six months.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 21st Oct 19, 1:26 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643

A new claim or benefit transfer advances for UC can normally be obtained in first AP, after that it's generally a budgeting advance which is normally either for helping you to start or keep paid work or for white goods etc.

The UC systems actually decides if you are entitled.
    No it doesn't state that, it states you need to be receiving the following benefits for 6 months before you can claim a loan, not wait after 6 months before you can apply for another one.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 24th Oct 19, 2:32 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    tomtom256
    No it doesn't state that, it states you need to be receiving the following benefits for 6 months before you can claim a loan, not wait after 6 months before you can apply for another one.
    So you have access to this guidance then? As I do, the online public stuff states the above, but the guidance given is every six months, to try and stop people falling into benefit debt.

Otherwise, people would be contstantly living off budgeting loans, which then defeats the whole purpose of a budgeting loan.

Their is a difference between public guidance and actual staff guidance/expectations.

You know like the sanction regimes etc that the DWP never have or that a percentage of WCA's have to fail at the first hurdle.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 24th Oct 19, 3:26 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    calcotti
    So you have access to this guidance then? As I do, the online public stuff states the above, but the guidance given is every six months, to try and stop people falling into benefit debt.

As per my previous comment. I find it very disturbing if public information is different to internal guidance. Obviously I would expect internal guidance to be more detailed but in this instance we are talking about different meaning.
    • Robbie64
    • By Robbie64 24th Oct 19, 10:01 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Robbie64

Otherwise, people would be contstantly living off budgeting loans, which then defeats the whole purpose of a budgeting loan.

Their is a difference between public guidance and actual staff guidance/expectations.

You know like the sanction regimes etc that the DWP never have or that a percentage of WCA's have to fail at the first hurdle.
    When Universal Credit was first devised, Budgeting Advances were intended to be restricted to be the exception rather than being paid on request (as has happened with Budgeting Loans under legacy benefits). The intention was that someone who made either multiple repeat applications or a repeat application without good reason within a short (possibly 6 months?) period of time would be called into the JobCentre for a discussion on budgeting. This plan was dropped at some point when UC went live, presumably because it was proving to be a difficult policy to put into practice. Possibly some old guidance may still exist but it's not going to apply now. Staff should not be applying it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,325Posts Today

7,945Users online

Martin's Twitter