Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • U4ea
    • By U4ea 8th Oct 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    U4ea
    Question about multiple reasons for delay.
    • 8th Oct 19, 12:30 PM
    Question about multiple reasons for delay. 8th Oct 19 at 12:30 PM
    Hi There! I hope someone can help me with this.
    Last month I was due to return from a holiday in Kefalonia. At the airport we were told our flight would be delayed by one hour because the outbound flight from Manchester had to divert to Dusseldorf because of a medical emergency. I know there's no compensation for that bit.
    The delay continued and eventual the plane arrived. we were told this was due to Air traffic Controlled delays. I believe this a is a claimable event.
    There was still no sign of us boarding and we were told it was due to an Operational reason. Again a claimable event.
    Eventually we got aboard the plane and after a further delay we were told that the crew was now out of hours and that we would be landing in Venice for a crew change and the refuel. Again a claimable event.
    We finally arrived in Manchester 5 and a quarter hours late.
    Is this claimable or does the first bit, the medical emergency negate the other factors.
    Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.
Page 1
    • DrA_Harrogate
    • By DrA_Harrogate 9th Oct 19, 11:39 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    DrA_Harrogate
    • 9th Oct 19, 11:39 AM
    • 9th Oct 19, 11:39 AM
    I stand to be corrected, but imho no delay to a previous flight, howsoever caused, is an extraordinary circumstance. The reasoning for this is that such delays are aprt and parcel of running an airline, and they need to have resources to cope with such events. If I am correct (and if not someone will jump in) then the delay qualifies for compensation. Bott online and EUClaim will have an opinion....
    • JPears
    • By JPears 9th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    JPears
    • 9th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    I think you are corect DrA, with the exception that I believe an ATC delay on the previous rotation, as long its the same day, counts as an EC and confirmed by EU?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 10th Oct 19, 1:55 AM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    • 10th Oct 19, 1:55 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 1:55 AM
    From recital 15 of the regs...

Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • U4ea
    • By U4ea 11th Oct 19, 3:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    U4ea
    • 11th Oct 19, 3:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 3:54 PM
    Thank you.

I'll go ahead with the claim then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

707Posts Today

7,442Users online

Martin's Twitter