Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Connoisseurus Rex
    • By Connoisseurus Rex 7th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Connoisseurus Rex
    Virgin: Address Not Serviceable
    • 7th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    Virgin: Address Not Serviceable 7th Oct 19 at 1:18 PM
    What are Virgin playing at??
    • Placed an order for fibre broadband 3 weeks ago
    • Installation date set for last week, called them morning of to check everything was ok
    • Get told the address is wrong and the correct one isn't serviceable. Will pass it on to the correct team and get an answer to me within 48 hours.
    • 4 days later still nothing so call back. Insist the address isn't serviceable (I went to their site on the call and surprise surprise their postcode checker has my correct address and confirms they can provide service there)
    • Order cancelled, as if it's no big deal to them

Absolutely terrible customer service. I asked about making a complaint and they recommended snail mail, then denied that doing so is an attempt to discourage complaints.

Now have to find an alternative provider that can service this address. Annoyingly virgin have the best speeds out there, but are let down by awful customer service. Any recommendations welcome or advice on what I can do about their postcode checker lying.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Oct 19, 1:26 PM
    • 5,925 Posts
    • 13,702 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 7th Oct 19, 1:26 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 1:26 PM
    Any recommendations welcome or advice on what I can do about their postcode checker lying.
    Originally posted by Connoisseurus Rex
    Not much. If it has inaccurate information and in fact they cannot provide service, you cannot compel them to do so.

You go on about Virgin having the "best speeds". How much "speed" do you actually need? Virgin have the best headline throughput numbers where I live, but I don't use them. I have FTTC over a traditional "BT" line, which provides about 72Mbps actual throughput, and that is way more than I need.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Connoisseurus Rex
    • By Connoisseurus Rex 7th Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Connoisseurus Rex
    • 7th Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    The postcode checker has my correct address and still says "congratulations, we can provide services to this address" and links to various bundles including fibre broadband.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 7th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 7th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    The postcode checker has my correct address and still says "congratulations, we can provide services to this address" and links to various bundles including fibre broadband.

So the checker is not itself correct compared with other Virgin checks.

Your "correct address" is your address but it appears that the Virgin postcode checker is not correctly recognising it.

Also postcodes cover more than one house: maybe you are just out of range.
    • Connoisseurus Rex
    • By Connoisseurus Rex 7th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Connoisseurus Rex
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    It's my full address, down to the flat.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 7th Oct 19, 4:22 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:22 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:22 PM
    Virgin fibre broadband packages aren’t cheap but they do offer excellent speeds;...I’ve been a Virgin fibre customer (110Mbps package) for years but last week I ditched Virgin for a cheaper (slower!) option. I really don’t need 110Mbps and Virgins incessant and hefty price increases (10% last month up to 42.50) was the last straw.

Perhaps??? there are some households in your post-code that can get Virgin fibre; e.g. the houses at the bottom of your street that may have a Virgin cable running directly past them. Or maybe the inclusion of your post-code in Virgins area-checker is just a complete ****-up altogether,...who knows.

I can understand your frustration but if Virgin are saying they can’t actually provide broadband to your house then there is little more you can do about it. If there is no Virgin cable running past your property at the moment then that situation is unlikely to change in the near future.
    There should be several viable alternatives for your postcode though,...unless you’re very unlucky.
    Last edited by Biggus Dickus; 08-10-2019 at 4:23 PM. Reason: duff info
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    • 5,925 Posts
    • 13,702 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    It's my full address, down to the flat.
    So?

If they can't install it, they can't install it.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Oct 19, 4:52 PM
    • 24,930 Posts
    • 14,438 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:52 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 4:52 PM
    Annoyingly virgin have the best speeds out there, but are let down by awful customer service. Any recommendations welcome or advice on what I can do about their postcode checker lying.
    You need to realise that if there is no Virgin cable outlet actually passing your property there is precisely nothing you will achieve by complaining about their postcode checker. It's obviously a simple mistake rather than an out-and-out lie. What do you think Virgin would gain from having a "dishonest" postcode checker? They undoubtedly want you as a customer, but if there is no (very expensive) infrastructure in your neighbourhood, you will simply need to accept that you need to purchase from another provider.

Prior to the merger of Telewest and NTL and then the use of the Virgin name, there were numerous local cable firms who basically went bankrupt due to the prohibitive cost of cabling streets without a resultant high take up of services. As a result, Virgin coverage is not anywhere near nationwide.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    • 13,479 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    Op should be able to see the VM cable points along the street .
    Small access point bit like a water meter lid on the pavement .
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    • 24,930 Posts
    • 14,438 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Op should be able to see the VM cable points along the street .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Indeed and they well be present in the local vicinity but not specifically for the OP's apartment.

Individual Postcodes cover multiple addresses, of course.

Perhaps the OP lives in a multi-storey development not yet cabled?
    • JohnHenry
    • By JohnHenry 8th Oct 19, 4:31 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    JohnHenry
    I bought a new build last year. Was gutted I had to leave VM. Was gutted when I saw my speeds I could get at the new property. FTTC only.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 8th Oct 19, 7:40 PM
    • 3,260 Posts
    • 1,453 Thanks
    Xbigman
    At my last address the flats were in blocks of 6 but VM only put in 5 cables to save money. For many years the management company refused permission for anyone to have a Sky dish. The postcode checker still lists the flats as VM available. This is just the way it is.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,074Posts Today

7,832Users online

Martin's Twitter