Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

School fund - gift aid claim

My son has just started at the local church primary school. Due to budget cuts, the school is asking parents to make a voluntary monthly donation to the school.

The donations are currently being paid into the PTA bank account and the PTA has charitable status.

The longer term plan was to set up a separate charity called X School Fund but this has not been done yet

The PTA accounts say it was collecting money as an agent of X School Fund (I’m not sure how it can do this if the fund doesn’t yet exist and has no legal status).

I think gift aid could be claimed in the donations as they are being laid to the PTA charity (with the need to get appropriate tax payer declaration from each donor). Only sticking point is the strange comment re agency in the PTA accounts.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Talk to the HMRC Gift Aid helpline?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Have you spoken to the PTA treasurer or the school's finance officer?

Without meaning to be rude, I often find that parents new to a school come up with 'amazing' ideas that they are desperate to do for us, but they haven't been at the school long enough to know what's already going on/been tried/being looked into and they rarely bother to ask before starting to make their plans. If you ask them first, they may already have it in hand, or have a reason for not doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure