Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 618Posts
    • 196Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 9:45 AM
    Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking 200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
    Read the full story:
    'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Nick R; 03-10-2019 at 4:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 22
    • gruntyl
    • By gruntyl 15th Oct 19, 10:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gruntyl
    Who else who paid by DD have NOT received their refund?
    I believe that we should have received our refund by yesterday.
    Nothing so far for me.
    No email either.

Gah!
    Poo.
    Last edited by gruntyl; 15-10-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 15th Oct 19, 11:41 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    ...which is still a hell of a lot quicker than the other route, yet people are still moaning like the world has ended.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    You may well be rich but other people might be relying on this money before they can even think about booking another holiday.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 15th Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    bradders1983
    You may well be rich but other people might be relying on this money before they can even think about booking another holiday.
    Originally posted by Potbellypig
    True, lest we forget under the old process EVERYONE would be waiting up to 60 days.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 17th Oct 19, 8:50 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Anyone got anything back yet who applied via the ATOL refund page?
    • prm1
    • By prm1 17th Oct 19, 10:04 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    prm1
    Lack of information from CAA
    Anyone got anything back yet who applied via the ATOL refund page?
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    From the lack of replies to this it would seem not.

It appears that the refund system is not as good as it could have been. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a little bewildered by the lack of information/detail following the completion of the online refund form. Although a claim reference number is displayed on screen on completion of the claim it would have seemed sensible to send an automated reply to the claimants' email address.

As there were issues with systems crashing on the first day the refund form was enabled online, I'm sure I was not the only one that was concerned as to whether the claim had been successfully lodged. A subsequent call a week later was time wasted as the only confirmation I was given was that it was like "a valid claim number" though no confirmation could be given as to whether it was actually in their system.

The lack of information from the CAA is certainly a concern. Hopefully all will be well ... but we just don't know!
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 17th Oct 19, 10:37 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    bobblebob
    If you try and make a 2nd claim using the same Thomas Cook booking reference, you get a message on screen saying this reference has a claim against it. Or something to that effect. So that tells me they have it
    • prm1
    • By prm1 17th Oct 19, 10:45 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    prm1
    If you try and make a 2nd claim using the same Thomas Cook booking reference, you get a message on screen saying this reference has a claim against it. Or something to that effect. So that tells me they have it
    More than one way to skin a cat then!! Thanks for this ... it shouldn't be necessary to have to do it though.

I wonder how many CAA helpline staff are being plagued with the same questions I had when a simple autoreply to the original claim would have alleviated concerns.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 17th Oct 19, 12:26 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    bobblebob
    More than one way to skin a cat then!! Thanks for this ... it shouldn't be necessary to have to do it though.

I wonder how many CAA helpline staff are being plagued with the same questions I had when a simple autoreply to the original claim would have alleviated concerns.
    Originally posted by prm1

Yea would have been a lot easier. When I applied for my Ethiopian e-visa, you fill all your details in, make the payment online but receive nothing back. So again you have no idea if they have your application or just taken your money
    • hufc2002
    • By hufc2002 17th Oct 19, 2:22 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hufc2002
    I received an email back later in the day (from CEGA) acknowledging that they had received my claim and that they would contact me if they require any further information. I assume they will require proof of monies paid i.e. receipts however they haven't yet been back in touch (claim was submitted 07/10).
    • ic
    • By ic 17th Oct 19, 7:19 PM
    • 2,688 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ic
    So I had two flight-only bookings to the US for next year. One with American Express has been refunded already - was a very straight forward process. The other with Barclaycard has been rejected and they've told me to go make a claim about ATOL. Just waited on the phone for an hour to get their disputes team to reopen it and READ the form, letter and receipts I sent them. How frustrating!

For anybody needing to deal with the Barclaycard disputes team, call them on 0800 161 5291, open 7 am till 11 pm.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th Oct 19, 12:35 PM
    • 27,729 Posts
    • 117,988 Thanks
    candygirl
    Still waiting for my refund from MBNA credit card, who said the chargeback would take 10 days ( 3 weeks ago!)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • traveler1
    • By traveler1 18th Oct 19, 12:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traveler1
    So many airlines went bankrupt this year, it's so sad
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 21st Oct 19, 5:13 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Got another email today from Gold Medal saying my flights are still available as Thomas Cook used them to book them, and they have been unsuccessful in contacting me regarding what i want to do. They then say if i dont ring them by the 31st the will automatically cancel them.

Ive applied for an ATOL refund so dont want the flights now the rest of the holiday has been cancelled, but im abit reluctant to ring them and cancel the flights myself. Im not sure how it will look for my ATOL refund if they see i have cancelled the flights, rather than the agent cancelling them on my behalf, or if it will even matter?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 21st Oct 19, 7:03 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Got another email today from Gold Medal saying my flights are still available as Thomas Cook used them to book them, and they have been unsuccessful in contacting me regarding what i want to do. They then say if i dont ring them by the 31st the will automatically cancel them.

Ive applied for an ATOL refund so dont want the flights now the rest of the holiday has been cancelled, but im abit reluctant to ring them and cancel the flights myself. Im not sure how it will look for my ATOL refund if they see i have cancelled the flights, rather than the agent cancelling them on my behalf, or if it will even matter?
    I assume you have a Thomas Cook ATOL certificate? (Some have had certificates from Gold Medal Travel.)

Best way to find out if effects your ATOL claim though might be to contact Gold Medal anonymously and ask some hypothetical questions before committing to any cancellation either way. Just refuse to give your details and talk generally to see where you stand financially. If they say cancelled flights are paid back by ATOL then happy days, if they say ATOL are checking and you will only get back the hotel then you need to ask if they will do the refund for the flights. There are lots of ways this could play out, at least you can talk to Gold Medal, by the sounds of it no one can talk to ATOL about their claim.
    • ic
    • By ic 21st Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    • 2,688 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ic
    So I had two flight-only bookings to the US for next year. One with American Express has been refunded already - was a very straight forward process. The other with Barclaycard has been rejected and they've told me to go make a claim about ATOL. Just waited on the phone for an hour to get their disputes team to reopen it and READ the form, letter and receipts I sent them. How frustrating!

For anybody needing to deal with the Barclaycard disputes team, call them on 0800 161 5291, open 7 am till 11 pm.
    Originally posted by ic
    So good news, today Barclaycard called me to say they'd reconsidered my claim, and were refunding the 1340 on flights, plus the 200 additional costs booking like for like replacements.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 21st Oct 19, 8:09 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Yea Thomas Cook ATOL. The ATOL website states this:

If you booked a holiday with Thomas Cook but your flights are with an airline unrelated to the Thomas Cook Group, your flights may still be available. If you wish to travel, you can do so and make a claim to ATOL for the cost of replacing your other travel services. You are not obliged to use your flights and can instead claim a refund under the ATOL scheme

So legally it seems i can claim a refund as part of the package holiday has been cancelled, even though the flights havent. Ive only paid the deposit for the holiday, so my flights havent actually been paid for yet anyway so assume if i wanted them i would need to pay Gold Medal directly. I will email them see what they say. Like i said i just want the deposit i paid Thomas Cook back and i will start again afresh, just dont want a cancelled flight that i initiate to forfeit my rights
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 28th Oct 19, 11:13 AM
    • 35,705 Posts
    • 41,884 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I'm not aware of anyone getting an ATOL refund yet looking around
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • stemano
    • By stemano 28th Oct 19, 11:40 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stemano
    I'm not aware of anyone getting an ATOL refund yet looking around
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I havent heard anything back. Guess its a waiting game. Got a claim ref but no emails from CAA since submitting day after form available
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 28th Oct 19, 12:30 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    bobblebob
    According to the Sun (so take it with a pinch of salt), the CAA are using 3 agencies to sort out the refunds, hence why some may have email confirmation and some don't.

Also according to the Sun, it could take longer than 60 days
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 28th Oct 19, 1:03 PM
    • 35,705 Posts
    • 41,884 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Yes , part of the issue seems to be the very poor quality of the data the CAA managed to get from TC . They SHOULD have been able to easily supply details of each booking including names and payment etc but apparently not .

Sorts of sums up the way the whole company was run
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

2,054Users online

Martin's Twitter