Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James_Curtis
    • By James_Curtis 27th Aug 19, 11:14 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James_Curtis
    CMS and house equity
    • 27th Aug 19, 11:14 AM
    CMS and house equity 27th Aug 19 at 11:14 AM
    Just a little advice if possible.

Background is that I have now been separated 5 years, divorced 2 years and am the paying parent for my 3 children. The child support is around £900 pcm and my ex and I had an amicable split so that she could maintain the family home and I was able to purchase another house to maintain shared support.

Since then, I have met someone else and we plan to move in together with her 2 children - though I will not become legal custodian for them - but to do this I would like to sell my house and should have around £180,000 equity after fees etcetera.

Would anyone know if this would be classed by the CMS as an income and therefore increase my monthly child support payments?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 27th Aug 19, 2:06 PM
    • 7,646 Posts
    • 9,954 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 27th Aug 19, 2:06 PM
    • 27th Aug 19, 2:06 PM
    No, it would be capital, not income.
    However, if you invest the money then any interest or other income you have from the investment would need to be declared.
    • Spikecast
    • By Spikecast 31st Aug 19, 5:01 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Spikecast
    • 31st Aug 19, 5:01 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 5:01 PM
    You should find your CMS payments would actually drop as you’ll have to declare the two siblings you’ll be living with depending on age.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,615Posts Today

7,973Users online

Martin's Twitter