Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,120Posts
    • 283,849Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 8:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 9:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 3
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    • 3,370 Posts
    • 29,759 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Yes, I freeze leeks - dry and chopped in a plastic bag - I might not use them to something where they are identifiable though - so mostly soups and stews. I also freeze spring onion (scallions) and sad celery - all chopped and in a plastic bag for quick use-ups and no waste
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 8,973.49/7,000 after Oct
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 2067.30/3k - 68.91% after October
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 109.23% 43,693/40k so far
    MFIT T5 No 2 42,188/59,998 or 70.32% paid after Q3
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jan 19, 9:02 AM
    • 32,539 Posts
    • 192,400 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've been lurking along for a few days, after Suffolk Lass mentioned the thread, and had to join in when I saw Kantankrus Mare mention watering right now - I've been starting to wonder about winter watering, actually ... all my garlic is in pots and containers this year, I'm needing to dig up a lot of the garden to get at bramble roots. Anybody got any feedback on watering in winter? I'm actually wondering about the plants freezing with water all over them, things like that.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 14th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 19,496 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I've never needed to water anything in Winter I must admit, so know nothing about doing it I'm afraid.

Spent a glorious few hours on my plot yesterday. Cleared a large bed and then started on the pathways and area around my shed, clearing out weeds. Thick layers of newspapers down and the mammoth task of worshipping the area. Managed 4 barrow loads before the winds defeated me. Plenty more to get done next time with more newspaper but need to be quick to get to the dwindling workshop pile.

I've got some onion sets to risk planting out next time I'm there and some flower bulbs too. Also planning to paint up a pallet, staple some liner to it and fill with compost as a planter to lay on my large woodchip area near the shed. I'm thinking flowers in that one....

Will be attempting a bonfire up there tomorrow for my visit as hopefully the winds won't be too bad.

Anyone sown anything yet? Last year I started far too early I think I so trying to curb my enthusiasm LOL

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I don't water over winter either. Finished chipping the xmas tree yesterday along with some cotoneaster (xmas tree being fairly hard to chip on its own with a cheap domestic grade chipper). That's going to get spread around the woodlandy bit at the bottom of the garden. I tend to start sowing in early Feb (maybe late Jan if I'm eager). I've got my windowsill propagators washed & ready
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 19, 1:57 PM
    • 32,539 Posts
    • 192,400 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both - it's the kind of off the wall enquiry that nobody writes about, so a thread of people-like-me is really useful (lurking on here, retired, single, currently living on savings about sums it up).
    Retired August 2016
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Jan 19, 3:00 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 11,749 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I seem to have lost all my seeds. They got moved before Christmas as I needed the utility room for something. I can't find them in the greenhouse, shed -I have looked everywhere. I just wonder if my daughter has thrown them out as she is on a decluttering mission - she says not but.........

I think I'll spend the next couple of days working out exactly what I need and the cheapest way of buying them

Onions and kale in the polytunnel doing well, still got loads of leeks and potatoes in the ground but not much else. Quite a lot in store or frozen. I sometimes wonder why my shopping bills are so high having all this stored/frozen food ??
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 18th Jan 19, 8:15 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 283,849 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Just because i can

I missed my local potato fair last weekend as I couldnt be in three places at once so we are off to a different one this weekend. I have my list of what I want - i want international kidney for earlies, either Pentland Javelin or Wilja and Rooster for main crops

I *might* have a go at growing shallots too this year. I've got 50 winter onions in and will need more but I will get those from Lidl for about 69p when the time comes.

I am still at that time of year when I can only get to the plot at weekends and on days off but the evenings are starting to get a bit lighter so that wont be for long. The only watering that gets done on my plot at the moment is multiple cans of it down the bloody rat holes that keep appearing in my chicken run. That backfired on us a couple of weeks ago and a blinking rat came back up out of the hole
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 32,539 Posts
    • 192,400 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh my word at the rat

There are potato fairs?

Yes, there are: http://www.potato-days.net/

I'm very happy to know that! And there's one I can get to, as well
    Retired August 2016
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 19th Jan 19, 9:13 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 283,849 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    We went to a a different potato fair today as we couldn't make it to the one we normally go to. We came back with 8 different varieties, none of which we've grown before but we wanted something a bit different for us. We've gone for international kidney, wilja, casablanca, estima, kingsman, kestrel, yukon gold and rooster.

My new plot is going to be mostly potatoes this year, along with garlic, onions and some shallots. We've never grown shallots either so hopefully they'll be good

• Scottish Mike
    • By Scottish Mike 20th Jan 19, 8:59 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Scottish Mike
    My seed packets are all about 5 years old now. I’m hoping they’ll all germinate this year. I don’t see why not.
    Debt free except for this blooming mortgage!
    Offsetting is the way to go!
    • devildolly
    • By devildolly 23rd Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    devildolly
    Just had some seeds delivered, potatoes should be on there way shortly and strawberries in a couple of months.

I have just bought a cold frame which is exciting. Can anyone advise whether this would be enough to protect seedlings in this weather or should I wait a few weeks before starting things off?

Also had 60 bags of compost delivered to fill the raised beds. Another question - my cats are taking a liking to the trug and using it as a loo which is gross. To protect the beds, I'm thinking MDPE pipe and bamboo canes to make hoops for netting, but is there another way of putting up cat/insect protection on the cheap?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 24th Jan 19, 11:32 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Depends where the cold frame is - as its usefulness is dependent on a number of factors, for example down at the bottom of the garden in a frost pocket is going to be not good, but against a south facing wall of the house is going to be much better (if not the best position). I built a cold frame out of scaffolding boards and an old double glazing unit, but anything I'm sowing now is going on a windowsill indoors

As for cat protection - canes & sticks

https://unrecordings.blogspot.com/2016/06/punji-sticks.html
    Last edited by unrecordings; 24-01-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: addng link
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 26th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 11,749 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I have just bought a cold frame which is exciting. Can anyone advise whether this would be enough to protect seedlings in this weather or should I wait a few weeks before starting things off?
    Originally posted by devildolly
    I'd wait a few weeks as I don't think we have had the worst of the weather yet. Certainly where we are (Hampshire) the worst weather is usually Feb and March.

I've found my seeds , my daughter had 'hidden' them in a box in the greenhouse. She is staying with us for a few months so the greenhouse is full of her stuff, patio furniture, tools, lawnmower, gazebo, barbecue - to mention just a few things. You literally can't get in without climbing over things. We've given her a space in the barn so I'm going to tell her (not ask her) to move her stuff so I can start growing things but I'm sure there'll be a mammoth clearing up job to do first. - such is life.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 26th Jan 19, 1:04 PM
    • 5,576 Posts
    • 62,621 Thanks
    Jazee
    I spent an hour in the garden earlier and planted out some flowers which have been in the greenhouse and sowed some lettuce and broad beans.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Nov 0 Total 2019 - 4583.20/5k
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 26th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Managed a couple of hours today preparing a propagator for my first batch of tomatoes and spreading the chipped xmas tree along the paths at the bottom of the garden - I always sieve out a tub of fine chippings for use in the house
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 27th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 9,057 Posts
    • 32,886 Thanks
    Primrose
    I,m a little late joining as it has felt too cold for much outdoor work yet but will bee growing my own again this year despite it becoming a litttle more of a physical effort. Still it,s a good way of getting some exercise in the open air.

i've dug and weeded my tomato and climbing bean border and my autum planted garlic is growing nicely. Sowed my chilli and pepper seeds last week and they're currently on lounge window sill waiting to germinate.

Any further activity will probably have to wait until we get some sunnier and dryer weather.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 27th Jan 19, 7:45 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    I've been lurking along for a few days, after Suffolk Lass mentioned the thread, and had to join in when I saw Kantankrus Mare mention watering right now - I've been starting to wonder about winter watering, actually ... all my garlic is in pots and containers this year, I'm needing to dig up a lot of the garden to get at bramble roots. Anybody got any feedback on watering in winter? I'm actually wondering about the plants freezing with water all over them, things like that.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I dont water anything in the ground over winter. Our good old british winter sees to that but I do pop maybe once or twice a week to water my sweet peas that are doing well in the greenhouse and my strawberry plants which are in plant pots in the green house ready to fill the gaps in my beds in spring.
    [COLOR="Red"]Make 10 a day challenge 2019 Jan 397.78 Feb 290.82 Apr 222.68 May 160.69 July 64.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....1,711.89 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721,41,828
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 30th Jan 19, 8:22 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 6,212 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Good morning everyone,

Please may I join in?
    I have a vegetable patch at the bottom of my garden along with a fruit cage. We have two apple trees, a pear tree, strawberries, black and red currants, rhubarb and a blueberry bush I planted last year but might not be up for a second season. Last year we grew potatoes, runners, beetroot in the patch and chillies, bell peppers and tomatoes in tubs. All were successful but I think they could have been better.

I'm currently waiting for my seeds to arrive and I have drawn up a planting plan of sowing and planting out times. I'm really excited because this is my dedicated pastime this year and I'm really hoping to grow a wider variety of veg in greater amounts this year.

We moved into our house nearly fourteen years ago. Yesterday I ventured behind the shed at the bottom of the garden for the first time. The previous owner was a dedicated gardener and I found all manner of things behind there. There was an old, intact cold frame without glass, some metal poles, rigid plastic that looks like it was a self assembly raised bed, old bits of metal, shed roofing felt, a lovely garden pot, more metal rods that have moveable parts that I've yet to decipher, lumps of wood, four half pipes that look to me like asbestos (I'll dispose of as per regulations) and other odds and ends. I had to saw off branches from the beech trees to get to it!

And so my garden year has begun! I'm loving reading all your news and tips.

Happy Gardening
    Last edited by Slowdown; 30-01-2019 at 8:24 AM.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 30th Jan 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 10,588 Thanks
    Living proof
    Welcome Slowdown! The back of your shed sounds like my allotment - I have inherited all sorts of treasures and I look forward to discovering what they are used for.

A question please on mypex weed membrane. Would it matter if I put it down in this cold weather? I garden on a very windy site but the next few days are forecast to be fairly calm. I just wondered whether it's the best thing for the soil.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 30th Jan 19, 10:56 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 6,212 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Thanks for the Welcome Living proof.

Sounds like we could set up a reclamation yard between us. I'll be back down there at the weekend to repair the shed roof (the reason I started the clear up at all), so I'll let you know if I find any more treasures! Keep us posted on your allotment discoveries.
    Last edited by Slowdown; 31-01-2019 at 7:13 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,775Posts Today

6,394Users online

Martin's Twitter