Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,120Posts
    • 283,849Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 8:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 9:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 2
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 4th Jan 19, 2:38 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Sorry to hear the tumour is back unrecordings. You seem so positive, I really hope you beat it into submission and you can live your life as positively and actively as you wish. I know from previous posts you are very supportive, with experience and advice to share with us less experienced forumites. So even if it is at a distance from your garden/allotment, do try and keep posting here!
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Thanks for the kind words - there's a certain bloodymindedness involved (either that or I'm too stupid to understand the danger I'm in)

Anyway, in October, before I lost the use of a hand, I got my onions, shallots & garlic in. Black Tuscany kale & Bedford Fillbasket sprouts are overwintering, Ive still got some carrots, some Oca (mainly just to keep it going - my crop is descended from two plants I bought about five years ago) I've also got some pretty ratty looking Tatsoi - and I've some Chinese Mahogany growing on a windowsill - not tried it yet but it's nearly ready for me to try a leaf. This year I might endeavour to add some photos too...

Safe gardening everyone
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 4th Jan 19, 3:04 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Sorry to hear about the return of your tumour unrecordings. Keep up that positive attitude!! You will beat it!!

Thanks for sharing your own experiences with your ops Zafiro. You have done brilliantly!!

Dad has been to the plot this morning, mainly to have a scavenge on another plot that has been given up but didnt find anything useful.
    I asked him if he had watered my sweet peas and the response?
    "What sweet peas" Tut!! You could hardly miss them in the greenhouse lol but then he doesnt think flowers should be grown on allotments. Tough as its half mine. And he had better get used to seeing flowers.
    [COLOR="Red"]Make £10 a day challenge 2019 Jan £397.78 Feb £290.82 Apr £222.68 May £160.69 July £64.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....1,711.89 miles
    Mortgage...£47,070£46,092£45,626.£44,182,£43,721,£41,828
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 6th Jan 19, 5:36 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Nice and mild today so spent a couple of hours pottering around and doing a little pruning (more to improve coordination than anything else) - I'm going to hurt tomorrow
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Jan 19, 6:46 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 7,588 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Have just ordered my grafted tomatoes - tried Sutton's 'Tutti Fruiti' varieties last year and they were yum !

Have also ordered my Chilli seeds (Ring of Fire - we like it hot!) with a view to starting them off next month, and will spend a pleasant couple of hours in the next week or so with various seed catalogues for the rest.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 7th Jan 19, 9:02 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Have just ordered my grafted tomatoes - tried Sutton's 'Tutti Fruiti' varieties last year and they were yum !

Have also ordered my Chilli seeds (Ring of Fire - we like it hot!) with a view to starting them off next month, and will spend a pleasant couple of hours in the next week or so with various seed catalogues for the rest.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

Sounds like a good start - I think I should sort mine out today. I have plenty of seeds from previous years. So it's all about getting started.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 7th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 19,496 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    OOOOOOh I'm in!

I have a renewed enthusiasm for getting my plot sorted now the issue with the neighbour is sorted and the summer of hell is behind me.
    This is just my time of year for getting up there and getting on with the big jobs.
    I scored a £40 polytunnel from FB selling, all still in its box, so the area for that needs clearing.
    This weeks plan is bonfires. Its cold but dry here so ideal really, and noone will mind it being done during the day.

I need to go through the seed box and be a bit more ruthless with getting rid of some.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • devildolly
    • By devildolly 7th Jan 19, 1:02 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    devildolly
    I would love to join too. I recently moved house and now have 0.2 acres to play with, all grass with a few apple trees. Have built four raised beds (each 2m x 1.4m), and have two concrete pads for pots (which used to be where greenhouses were).

Just need to order the soil for the beds and figure out what to grow in each. I've done some small scale growing before but nothing on this scale.

Only thing done so far is the garlic is in the trug and growing nicely.

So excited.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Jan 19, 3:04 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 7,588 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I would love to join too. I recently moved house and now have 0.2 acres to play with, all grass with a few apple trees. Have built four raised beds (each 2m x 1.4m), and have two concrete pads for pots (which used to be where greenhouses were).

Just need to order the soil for the beds and figure out what to grow in each. I've done some small scale growing before but nothing on this scale.

Only thing done so far is the garlic is in the trug and growing nicely.

So excited.
    Originally posted by devildolly
    Ooh - a lovely blank canvas ! Enjoy !

Have you thought about putting a new greenhouse onto one of the concrete pads? I don't know how I ever managed without mine.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 7th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I need to go through the seed box and be a bit more ruthless with getting rid of some.
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    I had a bit of a seed buying binge a few years ago So last year I resolved to have a clear out and just sowed the 'use it or lose it' seeds in a partly overgrown bed at the bottom of the garden - I'm not sure anything came of it though (not that I could recognise)
    • Moneycat
    • By Moneycat 7th Jan 19, 7:31 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Moneycat
    Hello to everyone,
    I'd like to join too!
    A brief introduction: i'm completely flower obsessed so my main aim is to grow flowers for cutting. I took over a half an allotment plot in February last year and it's still very much working progress. It'd difficult to find the time as I have a full time day job + commuting, but I dream of an early retirement so that I could spend more time on the plot which is my 'happy place'.... maybe 2020???
    Last year we grew some vegetables as well; potatoes (not a good crop), tomatoes did well, few beetroots, onions. Chillies got eaten on the allotment but did well in pots in the garden.
    Flower wise I grew mostly hardy annuals; sweet peas, calendulas, scabiosas, to name a few as well as sweet williams and dahlias. None did absolutely amazingly but equally there were some gems there so I'm still as full of enthusiasm as I was last year!
    I have ordered more dahlias as well as some peonies and other perennials to go in.
    So far the plot is not saving me any money at all - in fact it's costing me loads.... but it's my quilty pleasure so to speak.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Jan 19, 10:03 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I can't find my seed box with all leftover seeds from last year. I have a suspicion that my DD has thrown them away as they were in the greenhouse which she offered to tidy for me. I think it is 'deep breath' and don't upset her. It's a good excuse to go through all the 2019 seed catalogues and paring back to just what I need but I'm not looking forward to spending the money.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Jan 19, 10:30 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    So far the plot is not saving me any money at all - in fact it's costing me loads.... but it's my quilty pleasure so to speak.
    Originally posted by Moneycat
    I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure. Starting/renovating a garden or allotment requires a capital investment that will pay back over a long period of time. think of the cost compared to say gym membership

And...

If you've had a bad week at work, try this:
    When you get in the garden/on the allotment, set an alarm on your phone for an hour or so hence. When the alarm goes off - what are you thinking?
    I'd bet the answer is 'nothing' but with added serenity.
    That is priceless
    • SunMoonStars
    • By SunMoonStars 8th Jan 19, 8:19 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    SunMoonStars
    Hi folks,

I'd like to join in this year.

I am contemplating investing in a Keder greenhouse this year but am struggling to justify the cost. I know it should withstand the wild winds that we get here on the West of Scotland, but I also can't help thinking that I could buy four standard polytunnels for the same price as one Keder. So if s standard one does get wrecked by the storms / wind / natural missiles, a straight replacement of a big standard still works out cheaper by quite a long way.

Does anyone have experience of Keder? Or any thoughts on this?

Meanwhile, I am just enjoying going through the catalogues and sticking up on seeds. I love January for this!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 9th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Free chilli seeds:

I got a chilli growing kit for xmas with three varieties of seeds, including Naga (Bhut Jolokia) - which is apparently one of the hottest varieties out there - so I won't be eating those, but it pains me to chuck perfectly viable seeds away. It's a little packet of around a dozen seeds (all Naga), so:

First person to PM me their address gets the seeds. UK only, no instructions provided (post here though, I'm sure someone can help)
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 9th Jan 19, 12:16 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Living Proof is the winner :-)
    • devildolly
    • By devildolly 9th Jan 19, 12:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    devildolly
    Ooh - a lovely blank canvas ! Enjoy !

Have you thought about putting a new greenhouse onto one of the concrete pads? I don't know how I ever managed without mine.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    I have. i think i will look into it next year when I see what works best in what area. I have a surplus of sheds so a greenhouse could always go in one of these spots too.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 9th Jan 19, 8:57 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 2,901 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Thompson and Morgan have got a 10 packs of seed for £10 (plus postage) offer on if it assists anyone

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/10-for-10-seeds-sop?source=newsletter-seeds-090119&utm_source=RedEye&utm_medium=email&utm_camp aign=TM_TN522W-10-for-10-090119&utm_content=TM_TN522W-10-for-10-090119
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 10th Jan 19, 11:33 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Thrice
    Morning all,

Can i just ask where everyone buys their seeds from? I normally just nip to B&Q or buy ones from Lidl if I see them, but should I be looking at spending a bit more, or are seeds just seeds??

I'll check that link above, I'm assuming there is companies out there that have catalogues that I could maybe order from?
    SPC010 £54.11
    2019 1% = £25. 0% so far
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 10th Jan 19, 11:52 AM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 19,496 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Morning all,

Can i just ask where everyone buys their seeds from? I normally just nip to B&Q or buy ones from Lidl if I see them, but should I be looking at spending a bit more, or are seeds just seeds??

I'll check that link above, I'm assuming there is companies out there that have catalogues that I could maybe order from?
    Originally posted by Thrice
    I mostly buy the gardening mags when they've got a stack of freebie seeds of things I eat or like to grow.
    Or it's Aldi,Wilko, £Land ... A lot mention PremierSeeds on eBay.
    Unless you're after some of the lesser known varieties i'd be tempted to stick with what's accessible to you HTH

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 10th Jan 19, 12:08 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Been for a quick visit to the plot to water my sweet peas and strawberry cuttings. Surprised to find that a family opposite me have given up their plot due to work commitments. They had put so much hard work into it and got it running really well. Someone else has snapped it up and gave me lots of leeks that were on the plot.
    Mine are tiny in comparison. They are all washed and chopped. Leek and potato soup maybe. Does anyone freeze leeks?
    [COLOR="Red"]Make £10 a day challenge 2019 Jan £397.78 Feb £290.82 Apr £222.68 May £160.69 July £64.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....1,711.89 miles
    Mortgage...£47,070£46,092£45,626.£44,182,£43,721,£41,828
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,163Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter