Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 13,938Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 2
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 26th Dec 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 13,938 Thanks
    3forholidays
    I would also like to join as long as you don't mind an intermittent poster.. I am hand making presents for next year but need to think about Christmas way in advance. Keeping Christmas alive for the year will help I think.

Happy New Year to you all and here's hoping for a FAB 2019
    Originally posted by bit by bit
    Welcome to the thread bit by bit. I think that real life gets in the way sometimes so we can all be intermittent posters at times.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 26th Dec 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 13,938 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Hey id like to join. Next year is going to be a struggle as we get married in September and i expect we'd find it a little tough with finances after.

Hoping for ideas on how to keep costs low and reasonably cheap.
    Originally posted by apricity
    Welcome to the thread apricity. Hopefully we might be able to help with ideas for a low cost Christmas.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 26-12-2018 at 9:28 PM.

SPC No 043
    • lindez
    • By lindez 26th Dec 18, 10:17 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    lindez
    Hi can i join in please, I am normally not a Christmas person but i need inspiration to get me to look forwards to Christmas's in the future.
    MFWB#44
    MFTT5 #28
    save 12k in 2019 #71
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 26th Dec 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 13,938 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Hi can i join in please, I am normally not a Christmas person but i need inspiration to get me to look forwards to Christmas's in the future.
    Originally posted by lindez
    Welcome to the thread lindez. Plenty of inspiration to be found here but we donít talk about Christmas all the time but real life too. Please join in if/when you can.

SPC No 043
  • archived user
    Thanks for the lovely new thread , can't believe its the 8th one .

Christmas was lovely and quiet here just how i like it . I usually take the decs down on boxing day but Dd wants them up longer so they will now come down NYE .

Is it bad that I've already bought a gift for next year ? I also have planned to do a box with little items in for my niece who will be 22 months by then , things like books /rubber ducks & frogs etc all individually wrapped .

I will be glad to see the back of 2018 its ending as stressful as it began Dd has been diagnosed with Depression and put on meds , i guess considering the years she's had its not that surprising .

Welcome to all the newbies .
    Last edited by CHRISSYG; 29-12-2018 at 1:19 PM.
    • teabody
    • By teabody 27th Dec 18, 7:06 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    teabody
    Hi all, I subscribe every year but have not posted for perhaps 4 or 5 maybe more years. Hope to join you this year and get organised once more. One thing I did do last year was collect all christmas cards received and use them to make gift labels which went down well. Very money saving as I did not have to buy any this year and I feel happier for having recycled!
    My plan is to do some preparation for Xmas 2019 every month.
    • apricity
    • By apricity 27th Dec 18, 9:10 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    apricity
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I have already put £10 into next years savings for Christmas to get a head start.
    Wanting to save £365 , see where it takes me.

I'll be making gift tags out of my Christmas cards and i Have a lot of left over wrapping paper & labels too . Next year I may just get everyone vouchers. I find it so hard to buy actual gifts for people.

This year was lovely. My first Christmas away from my family as me and my fiance traveled to stay with his parents and will be here until new years day.Been a lot different to the Christmas's I'm used to.
    We were going to go home on Monday but we were promised Chinese and for myself i hate just doing nothing and being just us 2. it's nice but doesn't feel nice when you're ringing in the new year on your own as your other half is asleep.

I played scatagories for the first time tonight. Enjoyed it so much! We also went out for chilli at his aunties but we did a little shopping before hand. I didn't buy anything nice for myself but did buy 2 packs of meal planning & shopping list boards to help us get more organised...the hubs-to-be always asks what's for tea so it'll be helpful.

sort of can't wait to get home - i got a wicker basket and some tubs to help organise our house more.
    2019 is the year i get organised... hopefully!
    Getting married 21.09.19
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 28th Dec 18, 9:28 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,871 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Next years wrapping paper all bought = 5 rolls and 35 tags for £2.50. Each paper is 3 metres each roll. Got some gorgeous smelling Christmas tea lights in Sainsbury’s for £2.00 so that’s part of my grans present next year sorted . Also got some Christmas jute handmade bunting from notonthehighstreet sale. Which will look nice hung around my fireplace.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 28th Dec 18, 9:56 AM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 28,995 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Also got my wrapping paper for next year from Sainsburys on Boxing Day. There wasn't many tags left but have managed to get some to co-ordinate. Will probably have to pick up some more somewhere if I see any (probably plain silver)

Despite making the bulk of my cards I picked up a couple of packs to keep in "just in case"

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. Welcome to all the newbies. My advice is if you haven't already start putting aside for Christmas now into a separate account. We find it far easier to put a bit away each month, we don't miss it and it is there if we see anything suitable throughout the year.

My aim for Christmas 2019 is definitely to reduce the amount I spend. When I make a list of who to buy for and the budget I really must stick to it

Just before Christmas I won a £20 giftcard for The Jewel Hut so that is already spent. My brother got me a bodyshop voucher so have bought the bits I hinted at but didn't get and have got £15 on Amazon waiting for me too. Have also stocked up on some more crafty bits (not that I needed any more really but when prices are good I begrudge waiting)

Not been that impressed though with the sales I have browsed. Seems a lot of places started them just before Christmas too. Anyone picked up any bargains?
  • archived user
    If you have given or recieved HMV vouchers I would spend them sooner rather than later as it looks like they may be about the go under .
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 28th Dec 18, 1:42 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,878 Thanks
    lazysheep
    Went to do my normal food shop today and managed to pick up 3 10m rolls of wrapping paper for £1 each. Had to hunt for the 10m ones in the boxes but I like the longer rolls as I have several children to buy for now and their presents can be quite big so I need quantity rather than posh paper! I didn't really need more paper but I buy it when I see it 'just in case' I can't get any next year - I mean it doesn't go off....
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 28th Dec 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,621 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    glad to find the new thread, great to see new and old friends here already. haven't been to the sales yet, as l have enough wrap and tags to sink a ship.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 28th Dec 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,151 Thanks
    nic2075
    I had a quick look round the shops yesterday. Didn’t see anything that I hadn’t seen reduced before Christmas. I did pick up a little fox needle felting kit. Had fun trying that our earlier today. Even if I did stab my fingers several times. And my fox is a tad wonky. It is now on the Christmas tree next to our wonky felt giraffe that my DS chose in December lol.

I have already started my Christmas saving. I need to more than ever. I’m taking the kids to a Eurocamp in northern France in July. We all need passports. And dis has his P7 residential trip (£250) to be paid before April. I don’t know how I’m going to pay for it all. My belt with tightened severely for the first half of the year.
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 28th Dec 18, 6:14 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Hi all

Lurker here but really want to join in and be a little more organised this year.

Christmas went really well on the whole but December seemed to fly buy and even though presents were bought nice and early I was still rushing around nearer the day.

Thinking forward I've decided a couple of things-
    Frozen Turkey crown as we have so much leftover and it was on the dry side. Everytime we have fresh it seems drier so sticking with frozen.

Nigellas ham in coke- a hit with everybody

M and S Veg- bought mash and red cabbage and it was great ( though I didn't like the mash but everyone else did) and it was so easy. All veg apart from roasties will be bought from here next year.

Takeaway Christmas eve- loved it though I did make pudding.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast Christmas Morning- universally loved by everyone. 8 seconds in the microwave so there a little warm. Not to filling but seemed like a lovely treat.

Started our savings for 2019 and trying to plan ahead where we can x
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 28th Dec 18, 8:41 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,871 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Started my savings, £1 a day going into a savings account. I don’t miss it leaving my account and it will add up to pay for next Christmas.

Managed to get most of my special Christmas cards reduced. Also got tom smith boxed cards reduced to 75p a box.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    • fizz1987
    • By fizz1987 28th Dec 18, 10:09 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    fizz1987
    hi.. please can i join ... i have been watching from afar but never joined anything.. i love all the advice.. but wasn't brave enough to join...
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 28th Dec 18, 11:55 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 17,875 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to the thread LINDIZ, TEABODY, MISCHIEFMANAGED and FIZZ. We really are a friendly lot so do stick around.

NIC needle felting is one of the crafts I want to try this year, maybe a kit would be a good way to start for me. The other one is mosaic.

Iíve made a list of lessons learnt this year so I donít make the same mistakes, they include making sure Iíve got the basics in because I focussed so much on the actual Christmas food this year I nearly ran out of oil for the roasties and vegetable gravy granules.

Iím doing the same savings plan as I did last year as it worked well. I set a budget for everyone and worked out the cost of all the birthday and Christmas pressies for the year (we have a lot) plus the Christmas food cost then put away a twelfth of that every month. Hopefully itíll work as well this year too.

Havenít been to the shops as have been a bit under the weather but Iím hoping thereíll be something left next week. Iíve got a few birthdays to come this month so Iím hoping to be lucky and pick up some bargain pressies.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 29th Dec 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,621 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Peppa, yes, l am so with you, everyday storecupboard items will go on the checklist. Also started saving towards next year, 4 of us save £10 a week, draw out £500 last Friday in November, and the £20 left in gives us Christmas and new year weeks 'free'.
    The Christmas cupboard still has loads of adults presents in it, so l can pull back on those. l will say again very sternly, l will not go to the boots 70% sale.....
    Christmas dinner was fine, but l forgot to do the red cabbage, so will need to make it into something this week. DS1s vegan meals have been easier to do, and so far, three of the main meals we have all had, veg chilli, stuffed red onions in filo pastry, and ultimate nut burgers.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 29th Dec 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,151 Thanks
    nic2075
    I recommend needle felting Peppa. It was fun, even though my fingers hurt today. Both from stabbing them and my arthritis. The kit I used came with a white felt shaped fox already. I actually felt this was harder to attach the felt onto, rather than shaping it yourself. I watched a few you tube videos as I went. I also joined a needle felting UK fb page. So plenty of ideas and info on there. I’m sure you will be great at it as your really crafty.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 29th Dec 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 13,938 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Hi all

Lurker here but really want to join in and be a little more organised this year.

Christmas went really well on the whole but December seemed to fly buy and even though presents were bought nice and early I was still rushing around nearer the day.

Thinking forward I've decided a couple of things-
    Frozen Turkey crown as we have so much leftover and it was on the dry side. Everytime we have fresh it seems drier so sticking with frozen.

Nigellas ham in coke- a hit with everybody

M and S Veg- bought mash and red cabbage and it was great ( though I didn't like the mash but everyone else did) and it was so easy. All veg apart from roasties will be bought from here next year.

Takeaway Christmas eve- loved it though I did make pudding.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast Christmas Morning- universally loved by everyone. 8 seconds in the microwave so there a little warm. Not to filling but seemed like a lovely treat.

Started our savings for 2019 and trying to plan ahead where we can x
    Originally posted by Mischiefmanaged
    Welcome to the thread MischiefManaged. We have had a frozen turkey bit for the Christmas dinner for several years - we are just a small family of 3 adults and donít want to be eating turkey for days so buying frozen means that we can get the appropriate size.

SPC No 043
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,374Users online

Martin's Twitter