Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • falkirkzidane
    • By falkirkzidane 23rd Jan 16, 8:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    falkirkzidane
    Collective Energy Switch Feb 2nd
    • 23rd Jan 16, 8:26 PM
    Collective Energy Switch Feb 2nd 23rd Jan 16 at 8:26 PM
    Hi All,

The energy club has a collective switch and states it will happen on Feb 2nd. Does anyone know if this means the collective switch will be on the table there and then on February the 2nd or if this is when it kicks off and the offer will be made in due course after a few weeks or so?

Thanks in advance.
Page 6
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 3rd Feb 16, 9:57 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I was looking forward to this one as my last big switch is ending.
    However I am moving house march/april.

I has stated the process and got caught out with th T's and C's.

MSE site say you CAN take it with you when you move house.
    "- If you move home you can take it with you"

The CEC site states it is NOT portable.
    "and it's not portable so you can't take it with you if you move house."

Does anyone know which it is please or how best to proceed [choose another!]
    Cheers Andy
    Originally posted by andy poulton
    Thanks for flagging this - this has been amended. The British Gas tariff definitely IS portable. You'd initially go onto a deemed contract with the previous owner's supplier, but can arrange to be moved onto this tariff by British Gas.

Hope that clears things up.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON MSE Collective Electric Only Tariff Feb 16
    32 cheaper for me but will cost me 30 to leave E.On. I can change my gas only to EDF and save 34 no exit fee from my current no exit fee tariff. All in all a bit of a damp squib. Seems to be dual fuel only - no electric only option.
    Originally posted by molerat
    The gas is overpriced for me. All the savings are on the electric but I am not being given an electric only quote which works out 60 cheaper than the E.On Sep MSE fix.

Looking at my daughter's consumption she would save 132 electric only but 94 dual fuel, again moving just gas to EDF would save her 76 with no tie in.

Where is the electric only option - are they not offering this to anyone ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    Morning molerat

Hope you found the Electric Only tariff. Details are at the end of the MSE email. Not sure where you and your daughter are at with your current tariffs but don't forget about the Price Protection window. This kicks in when fixed term contracts are coming to an end. It's open 49 calendar days before the tariff ends until 20 days after. During this time and provided we're told, we'll make sure you're prices don't change whilst a change of supplier goes through. Also, exit fees don't apply during this window so you won't pick up the 30 charge.

Sorry if this doesn't apply but hope it's of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 3rd Feb 16, 9:59 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 3,921 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Oh the frustration. I've been trying to log in and get a comparison as I think I could save about 100 a year even though I switched to Sainsbury's in September (no exit fees either which will save me 60 technically) plus the 30 cashback. I'm assuming that due to such popular demand the site is struggling with the amount of traffic??
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 3rd Feb 16, 10:01 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I've checked to see if my email address is eligible to join up to the Cec and it states I am, put all my details in and tells my email address is invalid.

Any help would be appreciated
    Originally posted by mumlette23
    This sounds like most likely a slight problem with the information entered when trying to register. It often happens if you accidentally add a space.

Could you try again and if you still have issues drop us a note through to collectiveswitch AT moneysavingexpert.com

Thanks
    • matchboxfull
    • By matchboxfull 3rd Feb 16, 10:17 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    matchboxfull
    Been trying to log in with two computers at once for the last 20 minutes. No luck.

I'm on BG standard tarriff and could prob save about 300 a year if I could log in!
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 3rd Feb 16, 10:24 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    Same here. I am with Sainsbury's Energy so I could switch with no penalty. Can't get onto the website though. If I miss this because of website problems I ain't gonna be happy.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    E.ON Fixed 1 Year v19 Tariff

It looks like I will be staying with EON and moving to the Fixed 1 Year v19 Online tariff for electric (or maybe v20 following this.)
    Originally posted by youravinalarrrf
    Glad you're staying youravinalarrrf. Just to let you know, there are no exit fees for changing from one E.ON tariff to another. Our Fixed 1 Year version 19 is still available at the moment. Not sure how long it will be there as tariffs can be withdrawn at any time. If you've registered with our website, you can switch through there so no phone call needed.

Sorry if I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs youravinalarrrf but hope this is of interest.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 3rd Feb 16, 10:30 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    shaggy
    Thanks for flagging this - this has been amended. The British Gas tariff definitely IS portable. You'd initially go onto a deemed contract with the previous owner's supplier, but can arrange to be moved onto this tariff by British Gas.

Hope that clears things up.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    does this mean that you can take the British Gas CEC tarriff with you without penalty if you move house within the contract period?
    • bbobb
    • By bbobb 3rd Feb 16, 10:38 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bbobb
    I checked for an up to date energy comparison last night and I've got several suppliers that show as cheaper than the big switch winner. Any thoughts ?
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 3rd Feb 16, 10:40 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    shaggy
    I checked for an up to date energy comparison last night and I've got several suppliers that show as cheaper than the big switch winner. Any thoughts ?
    Originally posted by bbobb
    Then I would consiider those cheaper suppliers !
    CEC is not the be-all and end-all of all tarriffs
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 3rd Feb 16, 10:42 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Originally posted by bbobb
    Hi bbobb

As some previous posters have mentioned, yes, this is entirely possible and totally normal.

The collective tariffs are market leading for average usage across all regions. Dependent on your usage and the region you live in the tariffs can definitely be beaten - one of the reasons why we include a full market comparison before you choose the tariff.

Hope this helps to reassure you!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Feb 16, 10:50 AM
    • 27,993 Posts
    • 13,842 Thanks
    Cardew
    The BG dual fuel collective Electricity prices are by a long way the cheapest available. Their gas prices are much more expensive than many others.

Overall, for my heavy consumption, they are marginally the cheapest; even comparing gas and electricity from separate suppliers.
    • bbobb
    • By bbobb 3rd Feb 16, 10:50 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bbobb
    Thanks for the replies. I only mentioned this as the switch clearly claimed to be the cheapest on the market which it isn't. I will of course use the comparison site to get the best deal and I am very grateful for this service. My post was not a criticism just an observation.
    • berbatov10
    • By berbatov10 3rd Feb 16, 10:53 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    berbatov10
    I have just checked with BG who are doing the MSE collective energy switch. They say I can move the deal with me if I move house, anyone else been told that as its not what it says on website
    • matchboxfull
    • By matchboxfull 3rd Feb 16, 11:01 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    matchboxfull
    Am I the only person who can't access the site?
    • macman
    • By macman 3rd Feb 16, 11:03 AM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,707 Thanks
    macman
    No. MSE Dan is the only person who can!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 3rd Feb 16, 11:05 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    Are you sure you have a 3-phase supply?
    That is normally only provided to commercial premesis (usually ones with high consumption)

You will have major issues getting a domestic tariff if you have a 3-phase supply.

Sounds like you are actually simply on a E10 syle legacy tariff - attempting to switch supplier will end in tears. Even you having removed yourself from the legacy tariff may cause issues.

Best to get the job done proerly and get the wiring to the house seen to and the meter changed to a universal type. (I presume the fact you have left the E10 tariff means you have already got rid of the various appliances designed to be used with it)
    Originally posted by wavelets
    Yes I do have 3 phase - I think all our cul de sac has it, suspect that many had storage heater CH when built - I think our house had individual ones, a neighbour still has a large one in the utility with feeds to radiators like a normal CH system!

When I tried to change to SP, I was told I had an E10 meter, but eventually it turned out the meter database had an error and in fact it's an E7 meter. However, we've been on a single rate tariff since we moved here in 2007, and both BG and Sainsburys websites can handle this. Don't know if SSE, Eon and Npower can - didn't check as the BG switch was slightly better.
    • matchboxfull
    • By matchboxfull 3rd Feb 16, 11:11 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    matchboxfull
    No. MSE Dan is the only person who can!
    Originally posted by macman
    Ah.

Now have a dead panda...
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Feb 16, 11:20 AM
    • 27,993 Posts
    • 13,842 Thanks
    Cardew
    I have an Economy 7 meter. I know that BG will aggregate off-peak and peak consumption and treat as a single total on a 24/7 single rate tariff. i.e. 3,000kWh peak and 1,000kWh off-peak will be treated as 4,000kWh.

However if I switch to the BG dual fuel collective are there any measures I need to take to ensure it goes through without a hitch. i.e. can I stipulate single rate with an E7 meter when switching?
    E.ON Tariffs
    I thought I'd missed it.

Then if I look far enough down the page I find British Gas for a dual fuel deal. I didn't look any further down.

So looked at Electricity only. Eon were not bad, but not the cheapest for E7 for me. But as I don't use too much low rate electricity, then I'd currently be better off with single rate (which I know Eon will do despite the E7 meter).

But it only saves me 2 a year compared to their existing Fixed 1 Year v19 Online tariff. (same daily standing charge and a small reduction in the unit rate).

Think I'll hold off until my existing deal expires in a few months time as I have an early exit fee to consider. Existing deal currently costs 1 per month extra on average over the year. No where near a big enough difference to tempt me to switch today, sorry.

Edit: Actually, switching to non-E7 does make BG competitive for dual fuel (and BG will also supply single rate despite an E7 meter). But still would only save me about a quid a month on average - not enough to tempt me to switch either, sorry.

Seperate suppliers is still cheaper for us.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Hi footyguy

You're right, we can bill customers with a two rate Economy 7 meter on a single rate tariff. All we do is add the day and night usage together and charge at the one rate. This can be set up on our website too.

Not sure who you're with but, if it's with us, there are no exit fees for changing from one E.ON tariff to another.

Hope this is of interest footyguy.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,657Posts Today

7,328Users online

Martin's Twitter