Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen S
    • By MSE Helen S 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen S
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 4
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 20th Jul 15, 10:53 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Any update on how good/bad or even trustworthy the Revolut card is....I'm travelling to the Caribbean, USA & Canada soon & am thinking of using the Revolut card but am a little sceptical.
    Originally posted by Electro247
    Make sure that you have options.
  • Electro247
    Thanks Nifty, If you mean a Halifax Clarity CC & some currency cash, then yes I have options, BUT It would be good to have some feedback on Revolut, a card/app that sounds to good to be true?
    • llanedeyrnjack
    • By llanedeyrnjack 21st Jul 15, 10:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    llanedeyrnjack
    Hi all,

It could of course just be me pressing the wrong buttons.

I downloaded the "WeSwap" app, applied for and have received my MasterCard......BUT I am now having problems logging into my account and (for me at least!) the site is not user friendly.

I downloaded the "Revolut" app and today have managed to create an account (I think!) but each time I try to confirm my identity (using passport details) the screen says 'VERIFICATION FAILED' and then the site promptly crashes. It does appear that I have been allocated a MasterCard which will apparently be printed tomorrow and will then be posted to me......I am not holding my breath!

I will post my future successes/failures/frustrations as they unfold.
    Originally posted by sansosteneglider
    Hi there sansosteneglider,

This also happened to me when trying to verify my identity. I contacted revolut through the support function & they said that it had to be done manually.

I had to email a photograph of myself, my open passport alongside myself & the front of passport as well. Once they received these I recontacted them through the support function & they confirmed that I would be verified by later that afternoon. This was done & I was then able to put more than £1000 per year on my card.

support@revolut.com

They are very helpful if you contact them through the app though

Hope this helps

llanedeyrnjack
    • llanedeyrnjack
    • By llanedeyrnjack 21st Jul 15, 11:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    llanedeyrnjack
    Thanks Nifty, If you mean a Halifax Clarity CC & some currency cash, then yes I have options, BUT It would be good to have some feedback on Revolut, a card/app that sounds to good to be true?
    Originally posted by Electro247

Hi Electro,

I am yet to use the card physically as it is not due to arrive until later this week but I have converted Sterling to Euro already on Friday afternoon. I converted £300 & it was done seamlessly within seconds of me pressing the button. I got a rate of €1.4407 which gave me €432.21.

Very happy with that & there is also a breakdown of the transaction on your front screen so you can keep a record of rates etc,

I think that long term this card may make some banks reduce or even scrap some of their charges, at least I hope so,

Cheers

llanedeyrnjack
  • Electro247
    [QUOTE]Hi Electro,

I am yet to use the card physically as it is not due to arrive until later this week but I have converted Sterling to Euro already on Friday afternoon. I converted £300 & it was done seamlessly within seconds of me pressing the button. I got a rate of €1.4407 which gave me €432.21.

Very happy with that & there is also a breakdown of the transaction on your front screen so you can keep a record of rates etc,

I think that long term this card may make some banks reduce or even scrap some of their charges, at least I hope so,

Cheers

llanedeyrnjack/QUOTE]

Thanks, your putting trust into Revolut, which is a positive for me but you've topped up funds/credit without yet having/received a card to be able to spend the funds/credit. My card is also somewhere in transit, once it arrives I'll top up a small amount to build some trust. The only thing that concerns me is Revolut are NOT a bank, which should be a good thing after what the banks did to help cause our recession but for some strange reason I still trust a bank more than Revelot, I suppose it's a hard habit to break but I so want the Revolut system to work as the app is superb. It's going to be difficult to place trust in Revolut from across the other side of the world with the card/app loaded up with funds.
  • Revolut Official
    Hi sansosteneglider,

Apologies for the inconvenience with the ID verification, if the ID verification fails can you please send a picture of your ID (front & back), your face and a picture of you holding your ID to support@revolut.com and we will process this manually.

There are some delays on card delivery due to a surge in orders. If you need the card urgently please contact our in-App support chat and we'll send you an emergency card out immediately.

Hi all,

It could of course just be me pressing the wrong buttons.

I downloaded the "WeSwap" app, applied for and have received my MasterCard......BUT I am now having problems logging into my account and (for me at least!) the site is not user friendly.

I downloaded the "Revolut" app and today have managed to create an account (I think!) but each time I try to confirm my identity (using passport details) the screen says 'VERIFICATION FAILED' and then the site promptly crashes. It does appear that I have been allocated a MasterCard which will apparently be printed tomorrow and will then be posted to me......I am not holding my breath!

I will post my future successes/failures/frustrations as they unfold.
    Originally posted by sansosteneglider
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Revolut. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Paidineuros
    Hi all - first post here. Be gentle!

I'm wondering whether a pre-paid card such as revolut will be able to link to my PayPal account?
    In theory, enabling me to bypass paypal's poor exchange rates for buying goods in euros at the moment (with the actual exchange rate)?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks
  • Paidineuros
    PayPal and Revolut
    Hi sansosteneglider,

Apologies for the inconvenience with the ID verification, if the ID verification fails can you please send a picture of your ID (front & back), your face and a picture of you holding your ID to support@revolut.com and we will process this manually.

There are some delays on card delivery due to a surge in orders. If you need the card urgently please contact our in-App support chat and we'll send you an emergency card out immediately.
    Originally posted by Revolut Official

Hi Revolut Official!

Will I be able to link the card to my PayPal account to use it that way?

Many thanks
  • oconnort
    I registered for revolut card and top up £ 10 didnt recieve £5 bonus did i miss something on the registration process or will it be added later?
  • Revolut Official
    Hi Paidineuros,

Yes you can link your Revolut card with your PayPal account.

Hi Revolut Official!

Will I be able to link the card to my PayPal account to use it that way?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Paidineuros
    I am the official company representative of Revolut. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Revolut Official
    Hi oconnort,

If you missed entering the code just top up £10 or more and message our in-App support chat and we'll manually add the £5 bonus.

I registered for revolut card and top up £ 10 didnt recieve £5 bonus did i miss something on the registration process or will it be added later?
    Originally posted by oconnort
  • Itsallonline
    Ok my experience so far. Verification to send over £1,000 does not work well via the app. So have to email in a picture of me holding my passport, a picture of me as well. This seems silly. Are all customers really going to do this?? Can't see it.

I am using the android app:

There is no 'my pin' section on the 'my card' tab.

Customer support is slow via the app. Probably overwhelmed. However they do respond and it seems to work pretty well.
    Last edited by Itsallonline; 23-07-2015 at 1:47 AM.
  • savingexpert
    Weswap Prepaid Card

Got one of these recently - loaded it fine and converted to US$ - but when trying to purchase from a US website the transaction failed.

When I contacted Weswap they indicate this is because their card is not 3D secure - (that additional password page) - which is used by a lot of retailers for additional security. I was told it just depends on the seller's site - some will want 3D secured cards - and I'll have to use my normal credit card!!! Not exactly what I wanted.

Card is probably fine for purchases in the country using a PIN or cash withdrawals but if you are trying to pre-purchase events, excursions, tickets before you go on holiday you are likely to struggle like me.

Would be nice if that had been highlighted beforehand - their website says: "You can also use your card online. This can be very helpful in buying goods or services from foreign websites".

But when their card isn't 3D secure it makes that really difficult.

They are refunding my money but the problems have delayed me and now I need to get another card Back to square 1.
  • Revolut Official
    Hi Itsallonline,

Apologies for the inconvenience, if you are still experiencing the PIN issue please contact us again through the in-App support or via email (support@revolut.com) and we will resolve this issue.

Ok my experience so far. Verification to send over £1,000 does not work well via the app. So have to email in a picture of me holding my passport, a picture of me as well. This seems silly. Are all customers really going to do this?? Can't see it.

I am using the android app:

There is no 'my pin' section on the 'my card' tab.

Customer support is slow via the app. Probably overwhelmed. However they do respond and it seems to work pretty well.
    Originally posted by Itsallonline
  • Itsallonline
    Update - Show my pin is only available once the card has been issued.

Card arrived today, really well packaged. Hopefully i can use it all ok!
  • Amarron
    I have just verified myself via the app and it worked absolutely fine. I used my drivers license and I was verified within two minutes. I'm using the android app and there is a pin section in the my account tab, although it doesn't seem to give you the option to change it.

I've yet to top up and use the card as my trip to the US is not until September but will let you know how I get on.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 25th Jul 15, 1:09 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I have just verified myself via the app and it worked absolutely fine. I used my drivers license and I was verified within two minutes. I'm using the android app and there is a pin section in the my account tab, although it doesn't seem to give you the option to change it.

I've yet to top up and use the card as my trip to the US is not until September but will let you know how I get on.
    Originally posted by Amarron
    Is your name imprinted on the card?
  • Amarron
    Not too sure, not within the app. The physical card is in my travel wallet so will let you know later. Has anyone used one of these cards to make a withdrawal from an atm in the US?
    • macpep1
    • By macpep1 27th Jul 15, 2:40 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 26,888 Thanks
    macpep1
    I replied for the Revolut card well over 2 weeks ago, I am due to fly out on Saturday morning & already loaded the money onto it but have 'blocked' it just now in case it has been lost, I have just emailed support as I am getting a little concerned now.
    Last edited by macpep1; 27-07-2015 at 3:07 PM.
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    Long Term Flylady
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 27th Jul 15, 4:30 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Not too sure, not within the app. The physical card is in my travel wallet so will let you know later. Has anyone used one of these cards to make a withdrawal from an atm in the US?
    Originally posted by Amarron
    Have you looked in your Travel Wallet?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

350Posts Today

4,774Users online

Martin's Twitter