Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 15th Jul 13, 12:24 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Benefits cap comes into force
    • 15th Jul 13, 12:24 PM
    MSE News: Benefits cap comes into force 15th Jul 13 at 12:24 PM
    "A cap limiting the amount of benefits households can receive each week, has come into force today in parts of the UK..."

Read the full story:

Benefits cap comes into force

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 8
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 20th Jul 13, 9:15 AM
    • 14,753 Posts
    • 13,198 Thanks
    zagfles
    Yep - I couldn't understand why my dad thought my income was so much higher than it is, until I realised he thought the benefit 'cap' meant that everyone on benefits now gets £26k.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Yes, a couple of years ago we got a flood of people panicing that their tax credits were going be cut because they'd read misleading headlines that you won't get tax credits if you earn over (co-incidently) £26k. Even HMRC weren't immune, they themselves seemed to believe the headlines and sent people letters saying that!

The reality was the £26k limit only applied to a family with 1 child, no childcare/disabilities, but the headlines and the HMRC letter implied it applied to everyone.

As they say, a little knowledge is a bad thing. As is believing everything you read in the papers. Trouble is, these are 90% of voters...
  • clemmatis
    Who, presumably, have a TV and/or read a newspaper.

40%?
    Originally posted by Dunroamin
    But who may not have read an article/seen a report that gave the 40,000 figure (yes I meant 40,000).

I take it in your RL everybody always knows details like that /heavy sarcasm
    Last edited by clemmatis; 20-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 20th Jul 13, 2:50 PM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,354 Thanks
    Ames
    And also, if people read the articles instead of the headlines there wouldn't have been so much panic over the housing benefit changes. I've lost count of how many people thought they'd be affected - even owner occupier pensioners were worrying about their spare bedrooms.
  • Dunroamin
    But who may not have read an article/seen a report that gave the 40,000 figure (yes I meant 40,000).

I take it in your RL everybody always knows details like that /heavy sarcasm
    Originally posted by clemmatis
    In my RL, people tend to be reasonably well informed, especially about things that affect them and their families. I suppose it depends on the company you choose to keep.
  • mazza111
    But people who only read the headlines may be sick, I wasn't having a go at anyone about it. Like my old mam, she's just not got the concentration when it comes to reading, but can still do the big crossword in the paper every Tuesday She just doesn't take in what's in print, so relies on what she hears on the telly. I'd rather have her company than most others in all honesty.

I think we all know people who are playing the system, I'd rather see these cracked down on, than those genuine claimants who, for example have high housing costs because of the area they live in.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,270Posts Today

8,702Users online

Martin's Twitter