Is the landline dead?

Options
Poll started 28 Aug 2012

BT’s just announced another line rental hike (info and help in Cheap Home Phones). Once families queued for their turn on the home phone – now, even many under-10s have their own mobile. Is the landline dead?

What percentage of (non- work) calls made and received are on your home phone compared to mobile/web calls?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

Comments

• art_for_arts_sake
    Options
    Is the landline dead? Not when it's a condition of having one to access broadband from many ISPs. Yes, there are other options, but a landline is still the most common for accessing the internet.
  • onoski
    onoski Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I'd love to cut my home phone line off! I only use it for the broadband.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The home phone is dead, landline not quite yet. Dont have a phone plugged in at home, all phone calls are made through mobiles. Landline is purely used for broadband.
  • RussWWFC
    RussWWFC Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only use for home phones that I can see is 0800 numbers, waste of space otherwise apart from the landline hosting your broadband, that's all it is now, a chance to squeeze extra cash out of internet users
    Wycombe Till I Die
  • N.I.M
    N.I.M Posts: 2,248 Forumite
    Options
    My family live in the Republic of Ireland and a lot of providers give free weekend calls to the ROI so I use it a lot at weekends to catch up and make sure everyone is still alive etc. That and 0800 numbers, but the line is mainly in for the Broadband.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    :j:j:j:j
  • fallenxiii
    Options
    I use my landline mostly for my broadband connection OR for 08xxx numbers that cost a fortune on mobile.

Where possible I use the SayNoTo0870 site to find a geographical number instead.
    Money Saving Digital Marketer
  • HeadAboveWater
    Options
    Haven't had a landline since I first moved out of my parents house about 10 years ago. Have only ever used my mobile.
    For internet I used 3 mobile broadband for a few years and have now switched to their MiFi.

I've got both on good deals (I think so anyway!), so I'm paying £21 total a month :D
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had to have a landline as part of my Virgin Media package. Only my mother and aunt call me on it though.
  • VEB_3
    Options
    I have to use a landline, there is no mobile coverage for any network where I live in Oxfordshire.
    I have a sure signal box (mobile signal via internet line) but our broadband is too slow and inconsistent for that to be a realistic alternative.
  • slickric1234
    Options
    martin can you get a campaign going for a cheaper landline if its purely for broadband

bt have us over a barrel
    i dont want a landline, but as virgin dont have true fibreoptic cable broadband in my road its sadly the only option for good internet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure