Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
    • KK22
    • By KK22 31st Jan 10, 7:44 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    KK22

Went to Marriott Times Square to the restaurant/bar 'The View' Well worth it even if drinks are very pricey as you'd expect, you pay for the view but its worth it.
    Originally posted by nicky29
    Hey, great review, very informative. We're going back in May and really cannot wait! I fancied going to The View this time for drinks and was wondering if you could remember rough prices for the drinks? Thanks
    • Lady S
    • By Lady S 31st Jan 10, 7:46 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    Lady S
    The Bryant Park Hotel is lovely, we stayed for a night there and had Thanksgiving dinner - highly recommended.
    Originally posted by Philippa36
    Did you book for your thanksgiving dinner? We quite fancy juniors, but we are open to suggestions.

If you don't mind me asking which type of room did you have? Was the ice skating on in Bryant Park then?
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 31st Jan 10, 9:50 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    I TS
  • nicky29
    Hey, great review, very informative. We're going back in May and really cannot wait! I fancied going to The View this time for drinks and was wondering if you could remember rough prices for the drinks? Thanks
    Originally posted by KK22
    Hi! Yes we paid about $9 for Bacardi and Coke, $16 for cocktail and $6/7 for beer if i remember rightly! Have fun! PS Worth it for couple of rounds at the beginning of the night just for the memories! PPS Someone also recommended La Quinta at Sky Bar for views of ESB!

PS As for comments about Chinatown, point taken, i understand it is not particularly right to be buying these goods but its just if anyone is going for them i wouldnt want anyone getting ripped off unnecessarily!
    Last edited by nicky29; 31-01-2010 at 10:25 PM.
  • thatsfabulous
    I really enjoyed The View when I went in 2008. One thing to bare in mind is that unless your a guest at the hotel there is a charge of $7 per person after 9pm I think it is? so may be worth going earlier to save some money.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • snowydogh
    Hi all....

I was in the thread back in June/July time after I had just returned from NYC..

well...I'm thinking about going in December for my birthday. I'm just thinking about it at the minute (money and things) but I would absolutely love to go.. I'm hoping to get a well paid placement year job for my degree, and If I get it, I would like to treat myself to NYC on my birthday!!

Just looking for advice on a few things...just to note - i'm hoping to go from roughly 19th dec - 23rd dec ....:-S, as my birthday is the 20th..

Anyway...I'm wondering about what the average hotel prices for this time would be? obviously it's Christmas, so would expect it to be higher.. but any ideas.. I'm interested in going to the roosevelt - but I checked their website, and the dates are currently unavailable for that time of year - even september time it wouldn't let me check prices

Also, as it's my birthday, me and my fiance would like to try and get a room with a view - anyone got any suggestions on hotels with great views....and also, if i mention my birthday do you think it would be possible to get a free upgrade (being christmas, i'm not so sure about this but thought I would ask)

I have been looking at the flight+hotel deals on expedia, but after reading some posts I'm a bit weary of them. Although they do say includes taxes & service fees, so I think it would be ok.

Any tips or advice you could offer me would be briilliant - regarding the flights/hotels etc... I'll leave the itinerary till after I've booked - if I do...

When would be the best time to book? I would ideally like to do it in june time as I will have the money saved for booking things then...but would it be better to wait to further on in year etc??

I'm just more interested in help on trying to get the best possible prices for flights/hotels etc... although I would like a relatively spacious room with a view...so again, hotels that may be better for this than others..

when I stayed at the Affinia Manhattan last year - their standard room we were first offered was in the corner, and was very small...just enough room for a bed - we were not too happy...and we were on different floors from our party - so we ended up getting a 2bedroom suite with living room, kitchenette and a balcony with fabulous views of downtown manhattan - so as you can see my expectations have gone up a bit after that although being only 2 of us this time, I would rather just have a lovely room with a view (forget the other stuff hehe)

Anyway - thanks for the help in advance - I know you's will be quick and to the point with advice as have done for me in the past...

oh - one other thing - is it likely to snow the week before christmas?? like is it normal??

Thanks

SDH
    xox
    Last edited by snowydogh; 01-02-2010 at 2:58 AM.
    • Lady S
    • By Lady S 1st Feb 10, 8:44 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    Lady S
    We were looking at going in December last year. We first looked at about september time and the prices for hotels was a little over what we expected to pay. We decided to hang on a little bit and from that point onwards it just seemed to get more and more expensive so we put the plans on hold.

This was to the point that we couldn't even have afforded to stop in some of the airport hotels.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 1st Feb 10, 9:17 AM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    greenface
    I Think Jesus will struggle for a upgrade at christmas (would have to carry passport with D.O.B)SNOWYDOUGH- The Rooservelt is a good hotel in a great area for location if you are a shopper. Keep an eye on icelolly.com they seem to have good prices for the rooservelt and flights combined. Good thing for me the tour operator selling these deals on iceolly are over the road from my sister so i can keep a eye for good deals.
    Lady S dont knock a airport hotel you have done the hard part and got over the pond but what youll save on cheaper accomadation you will spend on travel and time unless your a plane spotter not much there.
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
  • HGLTsuperstar
    re December birthdays in NYC - check out my (VERY LONG) trip report on the previous NYC forum.
  • marias1981
    im goin on the 25th march for birthday treat for hubby, but his bday in on the 20th march, will we still be able to blag some freebies at the hotel ect?

ps he hasnt got a clue were going!!!!
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 1st Feb 10, 4:23 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    phatbear
    "blag some freebies at the hotel??"

Such as?

After all your husbands birthday would have been and gone.

Maybe I should try it on because when we are going it will only be 27 days away from our 9th anniversary.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • marias1981
    theres a big difference between 27days and 5 days! lol
    • greenface
    • By greenface 1st Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    greenface
    im goin on the 25th march for birthday treat for hubby, but his bday in on the 20th march, will we still be able to blag some freebies at the hotel ect?

ps he hasnt got a clue were going!!!!
    Originally posted by marias1981
    cant you give him a freebie
  • thatsfabulous
    Hi Maria,
    As Mark ( thats strange not saying marky) said depends on the hotel I guess but its worth a try.
    Send them an email telling them its a surprise hoilday for your hubbys bday and if there is anything that they can do to make it special on your arrival you would be greatful. May get some chocolates or something?!
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • snowydogh
    I've snipped the rest of the post out. You've not stated a budget? What do you want to pay? The reason I ask, because if it isn't a realistic budget, then you'll have to reconsider.

If you want spacious, and December are you prepared for the prices. I'm not overly keen on "rooms with a view" because they are always at a premium price.

Oh, and where do you want to go from.. we know you're destination is NYC, but is there any point researching a price from LHR, when you actually want to depart from Glasgow or Edinburgh..

M
    Originally posted by M4RKM
    Thanks everyone for replies...

I could most likely stretch to about 1000 for hotel+flight combo (this was through expedia I was looking). But to be honest - any relatively good value suggestions (i.e. what you consider to be good value for what you are paying for - I don't want crazy things from say the plaza or ritz etc...somewhere reasonable for good quality - though as I say, I'm quite interested in the roosevelt.)..don't worry I'll still have spending money on top of that

I wouldn't normal be concerned if I had a room with a view or not - to be honest, It's obviously not a priority - but I am planning on making this trip a special one to celebrate my birthday and christmas together with my fiance...and coming from new york in june when I had a balcony and amazing views, just really totally made the trip for me (along with seeing wicked on first night)

Well I live in N.I - so not much options from there - they did have direct flights, but they seem to have disappeared, and then came back again, and now I can't find them again....I have checked prices from travelling from Dublin and Belfast, and glasgow - and glasgow seemed to be around 100 cheaper for hotel+flight combo.....Although I am a bit weary of expedia after what I have read from some people, but the majority of people have good reports from them so I'm in two minds..

to be honest, I'm prepared to travel to any airport in UK if the overall price ends up being cheaper (including getting to UK airport) ...so I'm quite open to the best possible location to fly from....although I'm leaning towards either dublin or glasgow, as these seemed to be better deals than flying from Belfast (with unreasonable times and not direct)...

Thanks again guys for any advice you's can offer... as I said, I'm not totally decided on whether we will go or not , and depends on a job offer I have in place, but I'm looking ahead to weigh up my options....

Thanks guys!

"YEAHHHH THE KNICKS RULE"
  • nicky29
    not particularly right? Honestly, do you always go on holiday and break the law. If that person with the sheet and handbag was a cop, you'd not be back in the UK yet. Seriously, it is ILLEGAL.

Maybe I'm just a law abiding citizen, and stick to shops that sell goods in a normal retail environment, rather than breaking laws of countries I don't live in.

If other people want to buy illegal goods, that should be their choice, we should not be advising or helping people on forums "not to get ripped off". We should be pointing them down the legal routes to get a cheap handbag.

M
    Originally posted by M4RKM
    Hmm slightly harsh tone i think, for your information NO i dont make ahabit of breaking the law, i work hard for my money and spent a good $500 in Macys also!
    I like to think that people reading these boards are wise enough to make their own choices, like it or not people will go regardless of what you say and im just advising them not to be naive and think they are getting quality goods and pay stupid money to these people (yes some people sadly do think they are getting the real deal.) I posted my report to help people, my trip to Chinatown was a small part of that so thanks for your comments but this was my report and my experience and im saying it how it is. Yes i bought a fake handbag and its the first and last time probably get over it! So people please try Century 21 for your cheaper bags BUT if you are around Chinatown as many people will be and you do want to buy one of these bags just dont be ripped off as i said before!
  • Mr Lahey
    Hmm slightly harsh tone i think, for your information NO i dont make ahabit of breaking the law, i work hard for my money and spent a good $500 in Macys also!
    I like to think that people reading these boards are wise enough to make their own choices, like it or not people will go regardless of what you say and im just advising them not to be naive and think they are getting quality goods and pay stupid money to these people (yes some people sadly do think they are getting the real deal.) I posted my report to help people, my trip to Chinatown was a small part of that so thanks for your comments but this was my report and my experience and im saying it how it is. Yes i bought a fake handbag and its the first and last time probably get over it! So people please try Century 21 for your cheaper bags BUT if you are around Chinatown as many people will be and you do want to buy one of these bags just dont be ripped off as i said before!
    Originally posted by nicky29
    I love it, i always buy dodgy goods wherever i am. The best are in Asia, you should see what you can get in Saigon!

At the end of the day you can pour your money into Macy's and fill up the coffers of some investment bankers, or you can put a few quid in a lone traders pocket - So what if what he is selling is dodgy.

Help the local economy - Buy fake goods
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 1st Feb 10, 7:41 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    phatbear
    Hi Maria,
    Send them an email telling them its a surprise hoilday for your hubbys bday and if there is anything that they can do to make it special on your arrival you would be greatful.
    Originally posted by thatsfabulous
    Then when you check in and they ask to see some i.d they will say "but his birthday was 5 days ago"
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 1st Feb 10, 8:17 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    You can always go to Hersheys in TS and put a belated birthday message up on their flashing sign !
    • greenface
    • By greenface 1st Feb 10, 8:54 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    greenface
    hope my Breitling watch i bought from Turkey this year isnt fake because im straight back on that plane find his stall and demand my 40TL back. He said i could go diving to 50meters in salty water "but dont wear the watch" "cheaper than primark !!!!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

9,122Users online

Martin's Twitter