Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • craftingmad
    • By craftingmad 28th Dec 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,573Posts
    • 6,173Thanks
    craftingmad
    Stash Busting 2019 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more!
    • 28th Dec 18, 11:19 AM
    Stash Busting 2019 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more! 28th Dec 18 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone I'm back and raring to go with my stash busting challenge in 2019

The challenge is simple. From 1st January 2019 you are not allowed to buy any new craft supplies until you have used what you have (adhesives or items for orders are allowed) but of course nobody is going to hurt you if you happen to fall off into the dark (or pretty paper) side for a bit

My aim for 2019 is to make 2019 items from my stash

This thread is a great motivation to me and hopefully others so I'd love for you to join me on the journey.

Let me know what your targets are and I'll add you to challenge.

Can't wait to hear how we all get on
    Last edited by craftingmad; 31-12-2018 at 4:02 PM.
    Mortgage - 125k 32k 24k OP Made 2010 29320 OP 2011 4200
    BTL Mortgage 81K BTL Mortgage 82
    No Craft Spending in 2019 10/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2019 31/2019

1% club member 17,18& 21 - 100% reached 3 times 10k New Target 300.57/5000 6%
    NSD JAN 8/16
Page 14
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 14th Oct 19, 7:44 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    I hate that, when you see something on wrong and have to unpick it. I have my faithful friend Jack the (seam) Ripper to help though!

Yesterday I also finished a twiddle blanket, one I made from fabric with lots of buttons, ribbons, beads and a bell. I also finished two more scrunchies, so another 3 to add. Halfway to my total now.

25/50
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

Sealed Pot Challenge #173

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 14th Oct 19, 7:46 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Oh, and what did you come back from Crafting Live with?!!!

• emsi_b
    • By emsi_b 14th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    emsi_b
    I've not been yet! I dread to think what I'll decide I really need! Hopefully having to buy a new fridge this weekend will temper my impulse shopping urges.

I got out the trusty seam ripper and got the piece unpicked last night, and resewn tonight. I pinned the next piece, then tomorrow I need to wind the bobbin up (little man's favourite nursery rhyme, I wonder why?), sew on the last panel and then work out how I'm doing the corners. I have left myself plenty of material in case I decide to try a mitred style.
    Once this quilt is finished, I really must make some Christmas cards!
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 15th Oct 19, 6:55 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Me too...I started them back in February while I was in the mood, just need to finish them with an embellishment and put the inserts in. I've promised to make some for a friend's craft stall on the 26th, so need to get my finger out!!

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 16th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Finished another twiddle blanket, I knitted this one and used up various embellishments on it. So another 1 to add.

26/50

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 17th Oct 19, 5:33 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Made a set of bunting for my friend's craft fair, and a mini fabric bag for a shoebox gift yesterday, plus finished the fronts of around 20 cards, but not counting them until inserts are done. So another 2 to add.

28/50

• emsi_b
    • By emsi_b 19th Oct 19, 7:40 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    emsi_b
    I am terrible, I have no willpower and bought way more than I actually needed. I did get the paper I needed, but I also got more sticky tape (forgiveable), more Christmas papers, a Christmas stencil, some embossing ink and powder, two quilting templates, a quilting kit, 2 fabric pieces, in addition to the free gift of a pack of toppers and card. I really ought to have exercised a bit more self restraint. I'm a bit annoyed with myself, especially as I'm currently trying the stencil out and not overly happy with the outcome!! I will Google other ideas to see what I can do to improve it.
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 20th Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Oh dear, but just means you've got a few more bits to use up in the destashing. I'm like that too, if I see something I think is a good idea, I'll get it! Luckily that hasn't happened recently.

Yesterday made another set of bunting for craft fair, that's used up a pack of fat quarters and some bias tape.

29/50

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 21st Oct 19, 3:53 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Hooray..finished some cards ready for the craft fair on Saturday. They are all completely finished, in cello bags, priced and with a label saying what the words are in the insert. That's a weight off my mind, and a dent in my stash. There's 35 of them so far....so have reached my first target of 50. Going to up it to 100 now before the end of the year.

64/100

• halogen
    • By halogen 21st Oct 19, 4:17 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    halogen
    Anyone into polymer clay that might want my stash? I have more than I'll ever use and I'm rubbish at it anyway.
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 22nd Oct 19, 8:36 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Oh dear Halogen, afraid not, I too have a big stash of it, plus tools and a pasta machine to roll it thin. I bought it to make miniature foods etc for my dolls house displays, but never seem to get around to it. One day....!!

• Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 22nd Oct 19, 10:56 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    No, sorry, Halogen, I have more than enough Fimo stuff here.

I could give you a book on how to make polymer clay beads, if you want? You don't have to be terribly artistic to make those.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 25th Oct 19, 3:33 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    halogen
    No, sorry, Halogen, I have more than enough Fimo stuff here.

I could give you a book on how to make polymer clay beads, if you want? You don't have to be terribly artistic to make those.
    Originally posted by Wraithlady
    thanks. I used to make beads but i hated the fingerprints i always ended up with. plus I never found anything to do with the finished beads anyway.
    • emsi_b
    • By emsi_b 26th Oct 19, 5:50 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    emsi_b
    You could always try a primary school or nursery, if you can't find a crafty person to pass it on to? That or eBay!

I have done a tiny bit of crafting this week, managed to get some Christmas stamping done, just need to get them coloured and made into cards! My mum has been off on half term and managed 22 cards with a stinking cold, and a busy social schedule, so I really need to try to crack on!! I should get more done at craft club on Tuesday though.

In other stash reducing news, someone who knows the lady who runs the craft club has asked for offcuts of Christmas papers to put inside jam jars for a jar tombola, so I am sorting out some scraps to take with me, win win! I've got some jars to go too!
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 28th Oct 19, 7:26 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Over the weekend I knitted and decorated another fiddle blanket, so used up some wool and lots of buttons.

I also made a Christmas card to go in a shoebox gift.

Total 66/100

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 29th Oct 19, 7:03 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Monday I made a cloth bag to put some spare items for Christmas shoeboxes in, to pass on to the lady who organises them.

67/100

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 1st Nov 19, 7:38 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Another cloth morsbag yesterday to add to my total. Hoping to have a bit of sewing time today so will make a couple more.

68/100

• loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 2nd Nov 19, 6:01 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    Made 3 more morsbags today, so some more fabric used up.

71/100

• emsi_b
    • By emsi_b 2nd Nov 19, 7:01 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    emsi_b
    Good going loopychriss! I've got some more colouring in of my stamped toppers done- I did have to buy another skin coloured promarker, but I've already used it quite a bit, so not a silly purchase. I made 3 cards on Tuesday. Not a great amount, but they were a fancy easel type, so a little bit more time consuming. I've got a few inserts to make still, so will need to either get stamping again, or cheat and use the printer!
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 3rd Nov 19, 7:50 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    You're doing well too emsi_b.... I'd love to do colouring in, have all the pens and adult colouring books, but other things always take priority!

I dug out some hexagons I'd started yonks ago yesterday for a patchwork something or other, so spent the afternoon and evening tacking the fabric to the papers. This will not be a quick project, but at least I can use up my scraps of leftover fabrics on them. Estimated finishing date about 2030!!

Also knitted and finished another fiddle blanket over the last couple of days.

I did succumb in Aldi and buy two packs of fat quarters at 2.99 each.,..these have been earmarked for bunting though, and I can use the leftovers towards the hexagonal patchwork.

72/100

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,309Users online

Martin's Twitter