Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 15th Oct 19, 8:37 AM
    • 238Posts
    • 82Thanks
    sausage_time
    ATM charges in Prague
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:37 AM
    ATM charges in Prague 15th Oct 19 at 8:37 AM
    I have used 2 ATM machines in Prague, and avoiding DCC have been charged £3-£4 each time. Does anyone know free to use ATMs here?
    I took £200 equiv each time, so only 2% or so. But annoying!
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Oct 19, 9:27 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,218 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:27 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:27 AM
    Use Monzo, Starling or Revolut bank accounts.

Monzo and Revolut let you take out the £200 equivalent fee free per calendar month, Starling has no limits. You'll get the Mastercard rate on all three and none have any limits on purchases in shops etc.

I mainly use Starling now but I do have the other two as back up.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 15th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 7,137 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:29 AM
    Strange. I have never been charged a fee in the Czech Republic on Clarity, even at the airport. (It is a year since I was there, and I've only used "bank" ATMs.)

I've used Sberbank, Česka spořitelna and Raiffeisenbank.

Also you can get charge/loading free Czech currency at Moneycorp machines at Gatwick (and perhaps elsewhere).

Which card were you using?
    Last edited by chattychappy; 15-10-2019 at 9:31 AM.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 15th Oct 19, 9:54 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:54 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:54 AM
    I was using ye olde Sainsbury's Gold Travel MasterCard. At the airport and in town. I don't think the card was the issue, it is because I maliciously declined DCC. I'll look for the operators you mention if I need more, many thanks!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Oct 19, 10:54 AM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 15th Oct 19, 10:54 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 10:54 AM
    Also you can get charge/loading free Czech currency at Moneycorp machines at Gatwick (and perhaps elsewhere).
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Yes, Stansted.
    • landsberger64
    • By landsberger64 15th Oct 19, 12:52 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    landsberger64
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:52 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:52 PM
    Was it a EuroNet machine ? They are all over the CR, and further afield. Even without DCC, they charge.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 15th Oct 19, 7:53 PM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 15th Oct 19, 7:53 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 7:53 PM
    Use Monzo, Starling or Revolut bank accounts.

Monzo and Revolut let you take out the £200 equivalent fee free per calendar month, Starling has no limits. You'll get the Mastercard rate on all three and none have any limits on purchases in shops etc.

I mainly use Starling now but I do have the other two as back up.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Not sure how this would help as this appears to be a fee charged by the ATM not Saninsburys..
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 15th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    Used my Clarity card in Prague about two months ago and no charge was made.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 19th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 19th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    I checked one of the machines I used, it was indeed EuroNet. Older, wiser. I did not need any more cash, so was not able to try any of the other banks suggested. Thanks for the suggestions though - next time.

Unrelated, does anyone know the contactless limit for purchases in Czech Republic? Despite my best efforts, I was not able to bust it!
    • born again
    • By born again 19th Oct 19, 9:04 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    born again

Unrelated, does anyone know the contactless limit for purchases in Czech Republic? Despite my best efforts, I was not able to bust it!
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    Worldwide limits

You sure you were not using google or apple pay? As retailers can set different limts.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 20th Oct 19, 9:02 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    sausage_time
    Worldwide limits

You sure you were not using google or apple pay? As retailers can set different limts.
    Originally posted by born again

Interesting! I had quite a few purchases over the 500 CZK limit, the highest was 1,940.00 CZK (which hit my account at £66.96). This was with the physical card (and not pay app on phone). No PIN, no signature, nothing. But clearly the transactions did go through. I did have one for 710 CKZ which has not arrived (after 6 days) - most of the others showed in pending straight away, and hit the account next day.
    • Migster
    • By Migster 20th Oct 19, 6:55 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Migster
    According to Wikipedia, there is no contactless limit, but above 500 CZK you are required to enter your PIN (so contactless + PIN, rather than chip + PIN).
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 20th Oct 19, 7:20 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    sausage_time
    According to Wikipedia, there is no contactless limit, but above 500 CZK you are required to enter your PIN (so contactless + PIN, rather than chip + PIN).
    Originally posted by Migster
    As I mentioned, no PIN was asked for! I have seen Contactless and PIN in other countries.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 20th Oct 19, 7:53 PM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    Robisere
    Another vote for Halifax Clarity, used on our recent Danube cruise. The only problem was in Hungary, which of course uses its own Forint currency.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th Oct 19, 8:38 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    eDicky
    Another vote for Halifax Clarity, used on our recent Danube cruise. The only problem was in Hungary, which of course uses its own Forint currency.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Why was that a problem..?
    • Wellard Mann
    • By Wellard Mann 21st Oct 19, 2:47 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Wellard Mann
    Originally posted by Robisere
    I didnít have any problems on a recent trip to Hungary. I used both a Santander Zero and a Barclaycard Travel card with no charges, taking the precaution of asking the establishment to bill in forint. I made one small cash withdrawal with a Metro debit card, declined DCC and wasnít charged by the ATM. It was a bank ATM, not a EuroNet one though. It seemed as if there was a EuroNet ATM on just about every street corner in Budapest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,799Posts Today

7,874Users online

Martin's Twitter