Can I get benefits?

Long story but I have serious mental health issues ( self harm, OCD, PTSD and anxiety). My current job involves dealing with clients with similar issues and as a result I have fallen apart and am signed off. Returning to work is a huge trigger but I earn 50% of our income. My GP currently keeps signing me off as he feels I should not go back but my wage drops to half pay in November and then after 6 weeks to SSP. If I were to leave my job, could I claim anything or would I be classed as making myself intentionally redundant?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,844
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Long story but I have serious mental health issues ( self harm, OCD, PTSD and anxiety). My current job involves dealing with clients with similar issues and as a result I have fallen apart and am signed off. Returning to work is a huge trigger but I earn 50% of our income. My GP currently keeps signing me off as he feels I should not go back but my wage drops to half pay in November and then after 6 weeks to SSP. If I were to leave my job, could I claim anything or would I be classed as making myself intentionally redundant?
    You will need to continue claiming SSP until the 28 weeks end. Whether you'll be entitled to any Universal Credit on top of that will totally depend on your circumstances. Put your details into the benefits calculator and it will tell you if there's anything you can claim on top of that. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • If you have serious mental health issues...which you have had for at least 3 months, and which are likely to last longer than a further 9 months you MIGHT be eligible for PIP (personal Independence Payment).

This would still be payable when/if you are ready to go back to work and is not means-tested.

It might be worth your while looking at the criteria and seeing if you might qualify.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you have a full Class 1 NI record for the tax years 2016-17 and 2017–18 you would be able to claim New Style ESA even if you left your job provided you have a Fit Note. ESA is not means tested. Claiming UC if you have left job there is a risk of being sanctioned for voluntarily giving up work although if their is good reason, such as health issues, this should not happen.

However it makes little sense to give up work while you are receiving SSP. Once the SSP ends you can claim ESA if you meet the NI contribution requirements.

Use the benefit calculator to check your entitlement to UC based on your joint income and savings. If you claim both EAsA and UC the ESA is deducted in full from the UC so if there is UC entitlement you may want to bother claiming ESA (although it is worth noting that RSA is paid fortnightly rather than monthly and gives Class 1 NI credits rather than Class 3).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure