Going to Kenya in December, where to get the best travel insurance?

Hi guys. I am going to Kenya in December. I will be going solo. I have sorted everything bar the visa and travel insurance. Any recommendations on where to get my health insurance?

Comments

• sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Travel insurance will depend on a couple of factors, Do you have any pre-existing conditions and how long are you going for? are you going anywhere else within the next year, as an annual plan might be more suitable.

If you have maybe one condition eg asthma, hayfever then price comparisons are a good start
    Also see if you want any extras,
    I normally start with Quidco - for the cash back, then check travel supermarket, compare the market (for 2 for 1 movies and meals for a year)

Personally because I normally have to get the long term plans my current one is for just under 2 years backpackers I use alpha as I've use them in the past and the website is easy to navigate and all my documents are there if I can't get my ones in googledrive and though quidco getting a nice little cashback after 6 months. I've not had to claim but good to know they are there.

This is all assuming you've been in the UK for 6 months out of the last 12 to be classed as "resident" for travel insurance, I got tripped up a couple of years ago because I had been out of the country for too long.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    We use Columbus and have done for years as it has a massive selection of "add ons" for activities (elephant trekking and zorbing for example). Haven't done either by the way, but they are just random things which popped into my mind.

We have an annual policy which also covers us in the UK for stays of two booked nights away or more. Fortunately we haven't had to claim so can't comment on how good that part is.

Although it may be outside your age group, I know of two people who are with Saga who have had to claim whilst abroad - one for a broken leg ski-ing and the other with a broken hip from slipping on rocks in Greece. Both couldn't speak highly enough of their experiences as far as the treatment and claim process was concerned. One was able to fly home on an ordinary flight, but my cousin with her broken hip was repatriated on a fab looking jet* to the airport nearest to her home where an ambulance met her and took her to the hospital.

* of course her husband photographed the plane!!!!!
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,700
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    From this site's homepage hover over "Insurance" then select "Cheap Travel Insurance" and follow the instructions.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sazaccount wrote: »
    I use alpha as I've use them in the past and the website is easy to navigate and all my documents are there if I can't get my ones in googledrive and though quidco getting a nice little cashback after 6 months. I've not had to claim but good to know they are there.

Check who the underwriter is (the firm that actually offers the insurance since Alpha is just a marketing name) and then read what this forum has to say about how they handle claims. A decent website is very nice, but if the insurance lets you down when you need to claim then that is a more fundamental issue.
  • Check who the underwriter is (the firm that actually offers the insurance since Alpha is just a marketing name) and then read what this forum has to say about how they handle claims. A decent website is very nice, but if the insurance lets you down when you need to claim then that is a more fundamental issue.

Thats not too great of a read!! Fingers crossed I never have to use it, medical/travel insurance was a condition of my work holiday here in canada, but from Jan I'm hopefully covered under MSP/company benefits
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kattie89 wrote: »
    Kenya is an awesome place to go, and I would prefer go to Nairobi. The last time I was there, when I had some few minutes to chill out in bar, I was visiting [ ]], and found out about cool bettings system, that can allow you win some extra money by making bets on your favorite team. The only thing you have to own is your wish to play.

SPAM reported
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport