Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sanfairyanne
    • By sanfairyanne 8th Oct 19, 3:21 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 7Thanks
    sanfairyanne
    0 WOW
    Brexit uncertainty regarding travel plans
    • 8th Oct 19, 3:21 PM
    0 WOW
    Brexit uncertainty regarding travel plans 8th Oct 19 at 3:21 PM
    My passport expires on 31/3/20.

I am going to Germany on 16/10/19 on a single ticket.

My plan is to return in November; a few days after the Brexit deadline of 31/10/19.
    I'm fairly confident that I'll be allowed to leave the country (I checked here https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe)

However, I need some assurances that I'll be ok to leave on a single ticket because the website is a little ambiguous. It asks if I'll be travelling after the 31/10/19. As I mention I'll be departing before that date, but returning afterwards.

Does anyone know, I'm not too late to get a new passport, but I'd have to go for the fast service which is about an extra 100.

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • katejo
    • By katejo 10th Oct 19, 4:17 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    katejo
    • 10th Oct 19, 4:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 4:17 PM

My plan is to return in November; a few days after the Brexit deadline of 31/10/19.
    I'm fairly confident that I'll be allowed to leave the country (I checked here https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe)

However, I need some assurances that I'll be ok to leave on a single ticket because the website is a little ambiguous. It asks if I'll be travelling after the 31/10/19. As I mention I'll be departing before that date, but returning afterwards.

Does anyone know, I'm not too late to get a new passport, but I'd have to go for the fast service which is about an extra 100.

Many thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by sanfairyanne
    Does your passport include any months carried over from the previous passport? If 'no deal ' happens, any time carried over doesn't count towards the 6 months validity required. I have had to renew mine 15 months in advance of the expiry date. It seems that you need to say 'yes' to the question about travelling after Oct 31st.
    Last edited by katejo; 10-10-2019 at 4:19 PM.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 13,403 Posts
    • 9,229 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 10th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 4:53 PM

Many thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by sanfairyanne

When you depart, you will be travelling from one EU country to another. Your passport is valid so you will not face questions: after all, under the present law you have the right to live and work in Germany indefinitely.

For comparison, I entered Poland earlier this week. The official checked my passport carefully but there were no questions, and I did not show any kind of ticket.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Westin
    • 10th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    When you depart, you will be travelling from one EU country to another. Your passport is valid so you will not face questions: after all, under the present law you have the right to live and work in Germany indefinitely.

For comparison, I entered Poland earlier this week. The official checked my passport carefully but there were no questions, and I did not show any kind of ticket.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    I would agree.

You are leaving the U.K and entering Germany on a date when we are still in the EU - nothing therefore has changed.

I see no problem with your travel schedule.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,617Posts Today

7,734Users online

Martin's Twitter