8 year old boy's birthday party

I know this has probably been done to death, but just in case it hasn't...y

My ds turns 8 next month and has mentioned the dreaded "party" word. He doesn't know what he wants to do, and I'm drawing a blank too.

I don't want to have it at home (despite my dd saying that her at home parties were the best) because the thought of a tribe of 8 year old boys rampaging through the house fills me with horror!

They're a bit old/big/jaded for the local soft play type places.

The local sports centre has a hall and does football type parties, but unless you invite at least 30 kids they're rattling about the place, and I can't face the thought of 30!

Did cinema last year

local bowling place is extortionate

Any ideas pleeeeeeeeeease!

Comments

• genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    My 7yr old just had his party at home last month about 8 all together. We did star Wars theme, they had to do little tasks to receive their Jedi certificate. The invites we did ourselves saying they had been summoned by the high council for Jedi training, they had to complete a mini obstacle course spar with Yoda (my husband), make there own lightsabers - these were swimming woggles/noodles cut in half and silver and black tape wrapped at one end for a handle. Homemade green playdough to sculpt yoda.
    But the best of all was a treasure hunt outside and in which led them to their party bags in my case plastic cups filled with sweets and wrapped in cellophane. When they arrived we had an episode of clone wars playing on a projector we had borrowed. The cake was 4 swiss rolls some royal icing an licquorice for the handle and the light part was blue buttercream. They ate wookie cookies and drank yoda soda (lemonade with a touch of green food colouring and new labels made) plus hotdogs and burgers

The boys were great and we did have the weather on our side.

HTH
    Jaine
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • genieuk wrote: »
    My 7yr old just had his party at home last month about 8 all together. We did star Wars theme, they had to do little tasks to receive their Jedi certificate. The invites we did ourselves saying they had been summoned by the high council for Jedi training, they had to complete a mini obstacle course spar with Yoda (my husband), make there own lightsabers - these were swimming woggles/noodles cut in half and silver and black tape wrapped at one end for a handle. Homemade green playdough to sculpt yoda.
    But the best of all was a treasure hunt outside and in which led them to their party bags in my case plastic cups filled with sweets and wrapped in cellophane. When they arrived we had an episode of clone wars playing on a projector we had borrowed. The cake was 4 swiss rolls some royal icing an licquorice for the handle and the light part was blue buttercream. They ate wookie cookies and drank yoda soda (lemonade with a touch of green food colouring and new labels made) plus hotdogs and burgers

HTH
    Jaine

What a party! I'd have loved that at any age :T

A treasure hunt is a great way to get them out of the house for a while or my son was at a party last week that was held in a local pub. The food was cheap and cheerful and they were allowed to decorate the room any way they wanted. There wasn't a charge for the room as it was a weekday afternoon and they were allowed to play on the skittle alley that is usually reserved for the old fogies. They had a superhero theme and everyone was there from the incredible hulk to Ben 10.
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    genieuk wrote: »

HTH
    Jaine

When you put it like that, it doesn't seem quite so daunting....I'll maybe have a chat with him about a theme
    Thank you:)
  • Taypier
    Taypier Posts: 96 Forumite
    genieuk wrote: »

HTH
    Jaine

My OH would have loved to have gone to your boys party. Might suggest the same for his 25th! :D I bet it was the best party his friends have ever been to.:T
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks for the compliments, supposedly the boys were talking about it a few days later, so they must have had fun.

I don't believe in inviting the whole class or spending a fortune on party bags where half of it ends up in the bin when they get home.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • Tired_Mom
    Tired_Mom Posts: 670 Forumite
    If you do go with the Star wars theme do a search on this forum as someone has recently done it. I for one am with you on the not having a boys party at home, the thought makes me shudder.

For my DS's 7th birthday we did laser quest and they had a wonderful time. Most of them have booked one for their party since and DS wants it for his next party as well. It was very reasonable at £9 which included 2 games, dad went in with them and I drank coffee with the other moms. They then have food and are given a goody bag all included. I boosted the goody bag with a gormiti and took spider man cupcakes for his birthday cake so they had one each for their pudding. It may come up as quasar or laser. Hope this helps.
  • I also had a party at home for my 7 yo DS. He had 7 friends round and we did a mario kart tournament on the wii. 4 players per race top two from each set go through to the final. Played a couple of games of this then put some music on they had a dance around. Ordered them a take away (which came to £45!!) and sent them home with one of them little mario kart toys you can get for about £1.99 instead of a party bag.

By the time they get to 7/8 they have their own set of friends and dont feel the need to have a massive party with everyone attending. They also felt very grown up because they all got to eat a chinese takeaway!

Previous year did a party a ski center - took them all sledging during a normal session and afterwards to mcdonalds as it was much cheaper than a dedicated party at the skicenter.

HTH's
  • Oh, I understand the struggle! When kids are kids, like 6 or even 7, the are still ok to have some pizza and cake at home with their best friends, but now they are a bit older and start demanding something 'cool' to do. Great thought on not having a party at home, I did last year for a bunch of 7-year-olds, and the place was a mess...I suggest indoor rock climbing, you can keep an eye on all of the kids so they won't disappear, and it tends to be not expensive. After that take those hungry kids to Burger King or McDonalds, cheapest option, or to a burger or pizza place that you like.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    This isn't cheap (although when you split it per head it can be no more expensive than bowling) but what about a Games Bus party? link below is just an example, there's loads that do them.

http://www.gamewagon.co.uk/events/kids-birthday-parties/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItvfflKb45AIVDVPTCh3Jzg-LEAAYASAAEgI0bfD_BwE
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• The thread is from 2010.

The kid is now 17.

I doubt if he still wants his mum to throw him any sort of a party!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure