Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pandilex
    • By Pandilex 29th Sep 19, 8:18 PM
    • 406Posts
    • 190Thanks
    Pandilex
    VirginMedia seems to have no competition at 150mbps
    • 29th Sep 19, 8:18 PM
    VirginMedia seems to have no competition at 150mbps 29th Sep 19 at 8:18 PM
    I have 150mbps, and I pay 49/month for it.

This is quite a lot. Their introductory offers are 100mbps for 27/month and 200mbit for 32/month for 12 months on a 12 month contract. I'd be fine with 100mbps.

Existing customers aren't eligible though. So I considered switching, at least for a while.

However, there is simply *no competition*. MSE's broadband page doesn't list any providers above 67mbps. Looking on comparison sites like USwitch, the only similar result is BT offering 100mbps (small print: only 50mbps guaranteed or similar) for what works out as 48/month with an 18 month contract. And that's their *introductory* offer.

I'm half tempted to see if I can just cancel my virginmedia contract, then come back to them as a new customer. I was wondering if anyone had done this. I can use tethering or ask a neighbour to share their wifi to tide me through.

Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 29th Sep 19, 8:25 PM
    • 35,702 Posts
    • 41,872 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 29th Sep 19, 8:25 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 8:25 PM
    You don't "need" 150mb speeds .

BTs backbone network is built to ensure at least 40mb across their network with no buffering. That's ample for UHD TV for smart TV and streaming etc.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 29th Sep 19, 8:43 PM
    • 4,037 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 29th Sep 19, 8:43 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 8:43 PM
    Vodafone do 75mbps.

It does vary where your house is, and can’t guarantee that

Its only 23 month so good value
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 29th Sep 19, 9:10 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 13,700 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 29th Sep 19, 9:10 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 9:10 PM
    Why do you need 150Mbps?

That's the first question that needs answering before looking at what your alternatives are and what you can do.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 29th Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 29th Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    I was wondering if anyone had done this. I can use tethering or ask a neighbour to share their wifi to tide me through.

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by Pandilex
    You may find that sharing a neighbour's internet connection through Wifi would breach their terms and conditions/contract with the neighbour's provider. However whether the provider would find out and/or take action is another matter.

With regards to internet speeds, 150Mbps is complete overkill for the vast majority of the internet public, and this is why most of them tend to be capped out at somewhere between 38 and 76 speed wise.

If you're happy to pay for it then that's up to you. However if you drop your speed into the more competitive section of the market (ie the up to 38/76) it may give you some ammunition to bargain a new deal with Virgin at a lower speed.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Sep 19, 12:09 PM
    • 13,458 Posts
    • 6,166 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:09 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:09 PM
    Thread title is false as BT Open reach are rolling out FTTP with 150 and 300 meg initial speeds .
    Though as others have posted i see no advantage in 150 meg .
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 30th Sep 19, 12:53 PM
    • 35,702 Posts
    • 41,872 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:53 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 12:53 PM
    Yes , like I pointed out , all you need is 40mb for whatever streaming sites you use or sky Q .

Speed is not king , backbone network capacity is . Pointless having a headline speed of 200mb when it's only that speed to the exchange and then throttled due to lack of capacity
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,379Posts Today

8,086Users online

Martin's Twitter