Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dldbsl
    How can I obtain a Credit Report for a debtor who owes me money?
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    How can I obtain a Credit Report for a debtor who owes me money? 18th Sep 19 at 5:29 PM
    Just looking for advice or to be pointed in the right direction please...

Following previous advice on procedures and what documents to use I have successfully taken a builder to Court for money I am owed and obtained a CCJ. This person is very evasive and I believe use of bailiffs is unlikely to be productive. I cant see that he owns property otherwise I would look at a charging order.

Could anyone recommend somebody I can go to to obtain a credit report for the person who owes money - the idea being to identify a bank account(s) or who they bank with and enforce the debt via the County Court and freeze the account.

Im willing to pay for the service buy an internet trawl only talks about getting your own report.

As background I did report this matter to Action for Fraud months back and they greed I have been a victim of fraud but eventually dropped the case after a month as 'there were no lines of enquiry to follow up' - reading reports they seem to give up easily on tens of thousands of cases so maybe it was a mistake to report to them rather than local police.

https://www.checkmyfile.com/credit-report.htm
    Last edited by dldbsl; 18-09-2019 at 6:20 PM. Reason: more info
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Sep 19, 5:32 PM
    • 24,106 Posts
    • 26,835 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:32 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:32 PM
    You can't.

You may be able to employ a DCA with the rights to do so.

However, it won't give them the names of the institutions.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 18th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    • 65,414 Posts
    • 57,552 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    There's no requirement for long held bank accounts to be reported.
    ““there really is no such thing as ‘the future’, singular. There are only multiple, unforeseeable futures, which will never lose their capacity to take us by surprise.””
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • Alexis95
    • By Alexis95 18th Sep 19, 6:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Alexis95
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:13 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:13 PM
    Just looking for advice or to be pointed in the right direction please...

Following previous advice on procedures and what documents to use I have successfully taken a builder to Court for money I am owed and obtained a CCJ. This person is very evasive and I believe use of bailiffs is unlikely to be productive. I cant see that he owns property otherwise I would look at a charging order.

Could anyone recommend somebody I can go to to obtain a credit report for the person who owes money - the idea being to identify a bank account(s) or who they bank with and enforce the debt via the County Court and freeze the account.

Im willing to pay for the service buy an internet trawl only talks about getting your own report.

As background I did report this matter to Action for Fraud months back and they greed I have been a victim of fraud but eventually dropped the case after a month as 'there were no lines of enquiry to follow up' - reading reports they seem to give up easily on tens of thousands of cases so maybe it was a mistake to report to them rather than local police.
    Originally posted by dldbsl
    As mentioned above, you can't.

And even if you could, it's too late now. The gate in unlocked and the horse has taken advantage. The time for a credit report is before you extend credit to someone, not afterwards.

How is it a builder owes you money anyhow?
    General rule of dealing with builders is to only pay them after the work is complete, and even if pushed to pay earlier, pay them no more than the materials after they have been delivered to you, and possibly stage payments for labour after each stage is completed.

But generally, not until all the work is complete.

Anyway, that advice is too late now. You lent the builder some money presumably. So presumably you had some kind of assurance he was good for it, perhaps a car or a cement mixer?

If you think there is even a hope of getting your money back, or if not, just to deter him doing it again, get the CCJ first. Without that, no one will assist you.
    You presumably thought there was something to be gained, before you went to the time, trouble amd expense of securing a CCJ against the builder.

If you get a CCJ, As you have a CCJ, you can apply to the court to enforce it if necessary.
    Maybe the court will order him to disclose his financial situation to them.
    Or maybe you could go for an attachment of earnings.
    Or at the very least, perhaps consider winding up or bankruptcy against him.
    If he has any assets, then a bailiff may assist, but I should warn you that they don't take tools of his trade usually, as they expect him to use them to earn you the money to repay you (if he can't repay immediately). The bailiff will usually find out his financial situation and be able to advise you further, if it does come to that.

But first hurdle is obtaining the CCJ, if he's not willing to resolve this out of court, perhaps through the help of a mediator.

- Whoops, just re-read your post and see you already have the CCJ.
    Now onto enforcement then
    Has the defendant informed the court how he plans to settle the judgement the court found against him?

In regards Action Fraud, they tend to accept all complaints, and only close them as they can find no evidence to support a criminal prosecution, the burdon of proof for which far exceeds any civil claim.
    Last edited by Alexis95; 18-09-2019 at 6:22 PM.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 18th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • 65,414 Posts
    • 57,552 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    Some publicity may aid your cause.
    ““there really is no such thing as ‘the future’, singular. There are only multiple, unforeseeable futures, which will never lose their capacity to take us by surprise.””
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dldbsl
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    Whoops, just re-read your post and see you already have the CCJ.
    Now onto enforcement then
    Has the defendant informed the court how he plans to settle the judgement the court found against him?

In regards Action Fraud, they tend to accept all complaints, and only close them as they can find no evidence to support a criminal prosecution, the burdon of proof for which far exceeds any civil claim.[/QUOTE]

+++CCJ obtained by default - hasnt responded to anything sent to him
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 6:26 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dldbsl
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:26 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:26 PM
    Some publicity may aid your cause.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    yep done this all over FB
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 6:45 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dldbsl
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:45 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:45 PM
    whats DCA plz?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Sep 19, 6:56 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 4,574 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:56 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 6:56 PM
    Debt Collection Agency.

But you’ll need to pay for their services.
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 7:18 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dldbsl
    already used one to locate him so that i could get ccj
    they say its another 35 +vat for an employment report - but its really bank that i need
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Sep 19, 7:28 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 4,574 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Bank report?
    What information are you looking for?
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 7:39 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dldbsl
    Bank report?
    What information are you looking for?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

who he has a bank account(s) with eg HSBC, Barclays, TSB, Santander etc - the Court can freeze then to pay me whats owed

see...............https://www.checkmyfile.com/credit-report.htm
    Last edited by dldbsl; 18-09-2019 at 7:41 PM. Reason: add info
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Sep 19, 8:07 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 4,574 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I don’t think as a member of the public you’re privy to that information.
    • Alexis95
    • By Alexis95 18th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Alexis95
    yep done this all over FB
    already used one to locate him so that i could get ccj
    they say its another 35 +vat for an employment report - but its really bank that i need
    who he has a bank account(s) with eg HSBC, Barclays, TSB, Santander etc - the Court can freeze then to pay me whats owed

Even more intrigued now.

So, if I understand you correctly, you gave this builder some money? Cash presumably? Was it all used notes, non-sequentially numbered?

And you didn't even have a contact address for him???

Feel free to post a link to a FB site if you like

In the meantime, just carry on.

Dont worry about the details of his bank account for now, just file form N316 with the court and get the court to order the debtor to attend court to provide information under oath about the judgment debtor’s means and any other information needed to enforce the judgment, and any other relevant financial information, for example bills and statements, bank accounts, etc.

That might spur him into applying for a set aside I keep reading are given away like confetti, according to posts on this site.
    Last edited by Alexis95; 18-09-2019 at 8:12 PM.
    • dldbsl
    • By dldbsl 18th Sep 19, 8:27 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dldbsl
    Even more intrigued now.

So, if I understand you correctly, you gave this builder some money? Cash presumably? Was it all used notes, non-sequentially numbered?

And you didn't even have a contact address for him???

Feel free to post a link to a FB site if you like

In the meantime, just carry on.

Dont worry about the details of his bank account for now, just file form N316 with the court and get the court to order the debtor to attend court to provide information under oath about the judgment debtor’s means and any other information needed to enforce the judgment, and any other relevant financial information, for example bills and statements, bank accounts, etc.

That might spur him into applying for a set aside I keep reading are given away like confetti, according to posts on this site.
    Originally posted by Alexis95

the last thing I would want is the CCJ setting aside!!!
    wasting my time and money.....he chose not to respond to anything he has been sen
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 18th Sep 19, 9:06 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 2,181 Thanks
    boo_star

see...............https://www.checkmyfile.com/credit-report.htm
    Reports obtained by third parties don't show who the accounts are with, or what the account numbers are.

They only show on your personal report.

So even if you could get a report, it wouldn't show you what you want to see.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter