Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • custardy
    • By custardy 26th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 35,002Posts
    • 29,663Thanks
    custardy
    Royal Mail changes
    • 26th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    Royal Mail changes 26th Apr 19 at 1:11 PM
    lots of rumours flying about just now but from multiple sources with the same basis.

Special delivery. RM will be removing the 1pm guarantee and making it a straight next day product. I'm told this is pretty much fact and will be coming in. no idea on 9am but assume it will stay.

RM is looking to drop a delivery day.
    Either Saturday or Monday.

bets seem to be on removal of Saturday with an overhaul of the Saturday operation making a specific Saturday service slanted to parcels.
    This is being touted as a when,not if situation.

Apparently the date for the review of the USO has been brought forward which would tie into this.

Thought the ebay group would be interested.
Page 3
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Jun 19, 3:18 PM
    • 35,002 Posts
    • 29,663 Thanks
    custardy
    They obviously want the smaller ones.

I can remember doing a survey about selling on ebay.

The questions included who do you use to send parcels and why.

It asked what RM could do to get me to use them.

My reply was cheaper prices as it was not economically viable to use them.

Shortly after doing that survey they introduced the small parcel cheap rate, presumably to capture the ebay market.

But they are still so expensive for everything else.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Yup because the cheapest way for RM to deliver those small parcels is with the postie they pay to walk the streets with letters anyway.

Whilst they are moving into larger parcels (even up to 30KG wth Tracked large) its small parcels that are the bread and butter for RM.
    massive profits vs letter traffic.

Its not easy to get a balance. Say Rm slashed the larger parcles and get a large influx from the likes of yourselves.
    RM is a large network and its not easy to react quicky to those changes.
    The majority of mail centres were built when letter traffic was higher vs parcels. So they are creaking at the seams for space with parcel growth.
    They can react to a degree with agency staff though.
    Same with delivery offices. the majority are barely for for purpose on the space front.
    Agency staff are rarely used in Deliveries.

Then you get onto the costs of these reactions. Rm staff are well paid. So even if you get staff to work overtime to absorb the extra parcel volume. The overtime costs impact heavily. Whereas a delivery postie getting more small parcel may incur some overtime it will be to a lesser degree.

I'm no parcel strategist but you can bet RM are weighing up the pros and cons with every price/size change.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,617Posts Today

9,117Users online

Martin's Twitter