Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anic
    • By Anic 22nd Jun 09, 9:47 PM
    • 839Posts
    • 1,299Thanks
    Anic
    0 WOW
    Passport Interview - What Questions do they Ask?
    • 22nd Jun 09, 9:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Passport Interview - What Questions do they Ask? 22nd Jun 09 at 9:47 PM
    My 16 year old son has an interview on Saturday for his first passport (he has never had a child one nor been on either mine or my husbands passports).

We had a look at the internet to see if he can get an idea of what sort of questions they might ask and the only website we can find is this one.

Passport Questions

If he was to go on these sample of questions he would only get three correct

Does that mean he would fail and not get a passport and have to reapply or is it more simple than that?

He needs a passport for a job he has a conditional offer for and is panicing that he'll get them all wrong and not only not get the passport but lose the job offer as well.
Page 6
    • Nims 20
    • By Nims 20 24th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nims 20
    Just Received Interview Letter
    Hi everyone,

So I sent my application few weeks ago and I received interview letter today. I googled searched and this forum link came up. Iím glad I did that as I wasnít sure what to expect in the interview and obviously some of you have which clarifies things.

Unfortunately, I am not in contact with my family and havenít been for a very long time, my father died when I was very young and I couldnít answer that on the application either. I donít know my mothers D.O.B. and canít contact her to ask. Iím not sure if this is going to be a problem in getting the passport. Iím confident in answering everything else regarding my identity, from previous address to where I live and my bank details etc. Like I said Iím just a wee bit apprehensive about the family information stuff.

Has anyone else had problems remembering those details and if so did that have a negative outcome in obtaining their passport?

Btw this thread is very helpful. Iím glad I found it, better knowing what to expect.
    • scottygirl
    • By scottygirl 24th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    scottygirl
    I didnít know my father nor had his name on birth certificate
    , mum had died many years ago. When I applied for my first passport about 3 years ago I was asked to send in a accompanying letter explaining these details as why fathers details where left blank. I think they phoned me asking for the accompanying letter before I got an interview so you maybe fine. Interview was really easy more of a chat than a interview asking about family school dates etc everything you should be able to answer good luck x
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 24th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I think I understand this...?
    Originally posted by BillTrac
    I hate text speak, and especially when not writing texts. I assume this is text speak? First few words is enough for me not to read the whole of the post.
    • Nims 20
    • By Nims 20 24th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nims 20
    I didnít know my father nor had his name on birth certificate
    , mum had died many years ago. When I applied for my first passport about 3 years ago I was asked to send in a accompanying letter explaining these details as why fathers details where left blank. I think they phoned me asking for the accompanying letter before I got an interview so you maybe fine. Interview was really easy more of a chat than a interview asking about family school dates etc everything you should be able to answer good luck x
    Originally posted by scottygirl

Thanks for that. Yes by the sound of things it should be alright. Your circumstances and mine are similar so that certainly eases my apprehension. They didnít ask me for a letter to explain the missing details so hopefully this is just to see me in person to confirm my identity. Thanks again for the quick reply!!!128077; Nims
    • Kellyshoy
    • By Kellyshoy 11th May 18, 2:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kellyshoy
    Passport interview- Lost passport
    Iíve got to have an interview because passports over the years.

Will it be the same questions? !!!128552;
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 14th May 18, 5:38 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    smudge56
    Iíve got to have an interview because passports over the years.

Will it be the same questions? !!!128552;
    Originally posted by Kellyshoy
    I presume you mean you have lost at least 3 passport over the past 10 years. No the questions will be different as itís a different type of interview. More related to your passport history
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 16,952 Posts
    • 145,136 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have just arranged my grandsons interview for mid December and phoned up first to ask about it, as he is away at Uni and won't be back until then. They were very nice and the lady said tell him not to stress Its to basically see that he is who he says he is.

My DDs passport expired last year and my son-in-law hasn't had one since he was a small boy (he is 48 next week ) My DGS was dreadfully stressed about it, but I said I will take him into London and be there for him when he comes out He has his driving licence which has a photo on it, but he isn't hasn't been on the electoral register as far as I know as he was only 18 this year.
    I know his parents DOB and hopefully its what they will need He sent his birth certificate in along with all the right photo's and documents signed correctly The counter signer was his old school teacher, so hopefully that will be OK as well Considering it so far has cost me just under £95 for the bloomimg thing, then our fares into London from Kent its one very expensive Christmas present from me to him ,but it lasts 10 years (probably longer than I will )
    Very worrying for this young man though, as if being away at Uni wasn't worrying enough

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Nov 18, 11:53 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    eDicky
    My DGS was dreadfully stressed about it, but I said I will take him into London and be there for him when he comes out

Very worrying for this young man though, as if being away at Uni wasn't worrying enough.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Sorry, but you haven't explained and I don't understand - what is there to be worried or stressed about..?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 14th Feb 19, 3:30 PM
    • 6,460 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Just applied for my first adult passport online and posted the ID documents off. It asked me to post them to the Glasgow passport office but Durham is my nearest. Does this mean when I get asked to go to an interview I will have to go to Glasgow?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Feb 19, 5:28 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Just applied for my first adult passport online and posted the ID documents off. It asked me to post them to the Glasgow passport office but Durham is my nearest. Does this mean when I get asked to go to an interview I will have to go to Glasgow?
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    No.
    Once your passport application has been received and it has been determined that you need to attend an interview for identity confirmation, you will be contacted and asked to book an appointment and you can do this at an interview office of your choosing.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 14th Feb 19, 6:33 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    LadyDee
    My bfriend went 4 1 bout 4 wks ago - they asked him his mobile number, his e:mail addy & his doctors age (as he signed his form) all of which he couldn't ansa!!! he told them he never fones himself so y wud he no his numba, he asked me for his e:mail addy as he only uses it for things like insurance renewal etc and asked the girl interviewing him if she knew how old her doctor was??!!!

She just smiled and signed it all off! Wot a farce, but he got it so I'm not complaining! Think its more to see if u seem to be the person u say u r.

Don't worry bout it. U'll b fine
    Originally posted by Wardy
    Probably less trouble than trying to translate this load of rubbish.
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 14th Feb 19, 7:36 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    smudge56
    The office you are asked to send to is for an even allocation of work throughout the offices.
    As Shaun said, you donít have to travel to glasgow for your interview. There are interviews offices all over the country. Nearest office isnít always an office that processes applications.
    • travelgran
    • By travelgran 15th Feb 19, 2:59 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    travelgran
    My grandson went for interview recently. He was asked about the person who countersigned his photo, how he knew her and her approximate age. He was also asked did he turn right or left to walk to school!
    A friend who originally had a non British nationality was asked the same question about walking into town and whether she grew vegetables in her back garden, not to mention how she spoke English so well.
    I mentioned the direction ones to a friend who said they were exactly the sort of questions asked of her mother when memory loss was being investigated.
    I think either big brother is watching us very closely, or they are looking at how hesitant or prompt your answers are!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Feb 19, 5:38 PM
    • 6,460 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Questions like "what is outside your bedroom window" and "what way do you turn to go to work" etc, what do they prove and achieve? How could the passport office possibly know the answers to them?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th Feb 19, 6:33 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Questions like "what is outside your bedroom window" and "what way do you turn to go to work" etc, what do they prove and achieve? How could the passport office possibly know the answers to them?
    They probably wouldn't have any idea if the answers given were correct but in reality they wouldn't be looking for the correct answer, simply the way that they were answered.

About 7 years ago, I flew into Charlotte NC in the USA and although I have a UK pasport, I have a Visa rather than an ESTA due to this passport having entry stamps from a few "dodgy" countries.

Because of the visa, I was taken into an interview office where I was questioned by an immigration officer who asked me loads of questions about my employment history. Some of these questions involved him asking me about the type of helicopters I was working on, how many engines they had and what type of engines.
    There was a good chance that he didn't know if the replies I gave were correct but he may have been more interested in my body language rather than my spoken language.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,804Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter