Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 31st Aug 12, 10:18 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    roddydogs
    I would say that it annoys the heck out of me if I only have a mobile number as it would cost me a fortune to call.

Any calls I make are from my home phone unless away on holiday and keeping in touch or very short important calls when I will use my mobile. I suspect this may be a generational thing as those of us of a certain age didn't grow up with mobiles
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Yes, but thats you choice if you only want a Mobile, If I want to call someone that only has a mobile, I have no choice.
  • rickbonar
    Small suggestion. Calling people idiots is not a very good way to win them on side when you're trying to persuade them of an argument. Also I would appreciate you following the rules at the top of this page "Be nice to all MoneySavers". If you can't do that, then I don't think this forum is for you.

Kind regards

Martin
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Martin... I think dear old BT (bless her ology heart) is popping in all over the MSE forum as newbie posters to try and kid(ology) people that are realising what a rip off their 'service' is to think twice about leaving.

Being charged for NOT using the phone... yep sounds another benefit of privatising the telephone network!
  • rickbonar
    No-one ever rings our landline except people trying to sell us things. And my 96 year old grandmother who has pressed the wrong speed dial button and doesn't want to speak to us (and refuses when we try).

People who ring my mobile actually want to speak to me, and I can see who's calling anyway, in case I don't want to speak to them...

I tried to get virginmedia to cancel our landline the other day and only supply us with broadband. The conclusion of the call (after I threatened to leave altogether) was that I could get broadband only (M) for 22.50 a month, or broadband and phone (L) for 21 a month. He said if I didn't want a landline just unplug it. But since we now get free calls after 7pm and at weekends on the landline, we've just turned off the ringer. I wonder why it was in their interests to keep me with a landline when I didn't want one?
    Originally posted by jud!th

I suspect you've got a point with the idea that the landline is used by salesmen to peddle double glazing, computer helpline scammers, you have won a prize dial 9 etc.

Perhaps it is the telephone provider that gives out your number to these sellers at a price?
    That's the reason they want you to have a phone... they could just supply broadband but know they can make more be you having to have a phone that you don't neccessarily need.

But if you run a business like me especially from home then I believe you really do need a landline.
  • rickbonar
    Right then, back to work!!!
  • sd08aus
    Martin... I think dear old BT (bless her ology heart) is popping in all over the MSE forum as newbie posters to try and kid(ology) people that are realising what a rip off their 'service' is to think twice about leaving.

Being charged for NOT using the phone... yep sounds another benefit of privatising the telephone network!
    Originally posted by rickbonar
    The idea was not to make people think twice about leaving but to understand that whatever replacement they use will, at some point, be just as abused as BT and similar organizations are abusing them now and intend to in the future - basically meaning they should be aware of this and find a solution to restrict or cancel such a process from happening again

As for calling people idiots incapable of original thought - unfortunately most people do not listen and hear or even understand what is going on around them and has been for some time - usually the only way to get them to maybe take even a partial notice is to give them a crack across head - you may not like it but you have to see the FACTS and REALITY behind such methods occasionally.

If you are going to talk about a subject at least talk about it in realistic terms otherwise the whole venture goes in circles going nowhere
  • rickbonar
    I'm now with talktalk and the abuse isn't as bad as when I was with BT.

For example they don't charge if you make no phone calls unlike BT who do. And there was a site that made a comparison of the charges of each phone and broadband provider ... I don't know if uswitch etc do this?
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 31st Aug 12, 2:15 PM
    • 17,253 Posts
    • 26,865 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Yes, but thats you choice if you only want a Mobile, If I want to call someone that only has a mobile, I have no choice.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Yes its the individuals choice to only have a mobile, I accept that. Its also my choice to be annoyed at how expensive it is to call one.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Bootsox
    • By Bootsox 1st Sep 12, 12:07 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Bootsox
    The only good thing about a landline as far as I'm concerned... it can help you in financial applications!
    Originally posted by Pmarmalade
    I know exactly where you are coming from on this one, some on-line applications insist (and electronically check) that you provide a bona fida landline number.

Otherwise, I am on the cusp of ditching my landline (ADSL broadband speed useless anyway) once my lock in with TalkTalk ends.

Already own and pay for a mobile and have a Huawei E586 MIFI unit (Amazon do SIM only data deals which are ok, providing you are not into streaming).

Any rip off 0800, 0870 numbers I can phone via VoipCheap or at work.
    • tracey3596
    • By tracey3596 4th Sep 12, 9:01 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    tracey3596
    Like a lot of others here, landline now only for broadband .... and OH to talk to MIL every weekend!
    A few years ago, we used Talktalk's supposedly free evening & weekend phone package, with broadband; for some reason, the monthly bill kept going up - and up - and up. When it went to 70 - plus per month, OH said "enough"!
    NOW - all the family use mobiles with a provider who gives free calls in the same network and our phone land-line rental, charges and broadband are less than 30/month, whilst our mobile charges are much-reduced too.
  • rickbonar.

Originally posted by rickbonar
    Got to laugh!

I'm the newbie now!
  • Fairoaks
    This online poll is biased. Over 60s are most in favour of landline & many are excluded from this poll as they are the least likely to have internet.
    Calls from landlines can be free using 0800 numbers & certain time frames for national calls & 0854 numbers. Reception is often better too. Obviously mobiles have their place when away from home. I use both according to where I am.
    • Porcupine
    • By Porcupine 11th Sep 12, 12:11 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Porcupine
    There's a point here that people don't seem to realise...

1. If you get broadband down your landline, the line rental maintains the line. Crackly line, slow connection, outages, storm damage? Your line rental pays to fix these, which affect broadband just as much as voice.

2. Landline calls cross-subsidise other services. There's a reason why Virgin are so keen on throwing in a 'free' landline to their packages. Because they hope you'll use it and clock up (expensive) call charges. Take the landline away, and you can't spend on calls. So even if you never use it, some proportion of people do and that makes it cheaper for everyone.

So you can have broadband without line rental, but it isn't any cheaper - in fact it's likely to be more expensive.
  • smitj017
    This online poll is biased. Over 60s are most in favour of landline & many are excluded from this poll as they are the least likely to have internet.
    Calls from landlines can be free using 0800 numbers & certain time frames for national calls & 0854 numbers. Reception is often better too. Obviously mobiles have their place when away from home. I use both according to where I am.
    Originally posted by Fairoaks
    Another point is that this is a forum full of 'Money Saving Experts', who are aware of the cost involved in using a landline. Many people will use the landline just because its there, and won't look into the cost involved.

Also Sky require you to connect your box to a landline. While they don't really police single boxes, those with multiroom are required to keep it connected to the phone line all the time. You can also find alarm systems which require a landline to connect to.
    • janiebquick
    • By janiebquick 13th Sep 12, 7:39 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    janiebquick
    Not in this house, it isn't. I only give out my mobile number to a selected few people as, quite frankly, I do not want to give anyone permission to ring me any time they fancy. You can even text a a landline these days.
    • bundly
    • By bundly 13th Sep 12, 7:41 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    bundly
    I must be a dinosaur.

I make all my calls on my landline. I am with Sky, all calls are free 24/7 up to 60 minutes, also to 13 countries.

Only use a mobile when meeting someone in case plans go awry.
    • Azari
    • By Azari 21st Sep 12, 12:48 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    Azari
    As long as we have Mil, we'll have to have a landline. She doesn't ring mobile numbers .... yes, I know that is illogical, but good luck trying to get her to understand
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    It's perfectly logical if she does not have a contract mobile.

You can make any landline call for as long as you like for 5p using 1899 or free in the evenings and at weekends if you get the appropriate BT contract (no extra cost).

Thus you can talk to landlines for hours for very little a month whereas calling mobiles always incurs a per minute charge.

The problem is with morons who won't answer their landlines because they think they are being 'cool' only using a mobile.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • archived user
    Yep mines dead but thats cause theres only a handful of people know my number. All and sundry get my mobile number. OH only had it to fax his timesheets in and i'd get rid of it tomorrow as i think its a waste of money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

562Posts Today

6,256Users online

Martin's Twitter