MSE News: Warning over bank holiday cheques

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers were warned today that cheques could currently take up to two weeks to clear because of the high number of bank holidays ..."
Read the full story:
Warning over bank holiday cheques

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• 2sides2everystory
    Options
    "With a wider range of payment options available to us than ever before, taking five minutes to check up on your ways to pay can help you make sure that you aren't affected."

With a wider range of instant payment options available to the banks than ever before why haven't they implemented them?

Let me give you a ridiculous example of why I had to intervene and spend 2 x 5 minutes of my time on Saturday ...

I have standing orders set up to pay my kids pocket money fortnightly on a Friday. They bank with the same major bank I do. Transfers are instant between our accounts, right ?

Wrong - not on a bank holiday or a weekend unless I trigger it myself. My boy called me - seems that he was downtown and his ministatement showed he was not as in funds as he was expecting on a Saturday morning. I logged on to online banking - instant transfer - had to adjust the Standing Order of course which on Saturday 23rd April was telling me "Next Payment 22nd April" but job done. Then I had to do it again for DD (Dearest Daughter - don't get me started on Direct Debits!)

Why couldn't the banks have set their computers to do that ? Everyone knows banks don't turn off their computers on "Bank Holidays" and weekends. They seem to be expending more effort thesedays on preventing instant transfers on the flimsiest of excuses which their systems are perfectly capable of than they spend on achieving instant transfers. Funny that, eh?
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers were warned today that cheques could currently take up to two weeks to clear because of the high number of bank holidays ..."

1. It's not just cheques that could take longer to clear - it's also things like credit-card payments.

2. It's a bit late for this when two of the four bank holidays around last week/this week/next week have already passed. It would have been far more useful to publish this warning a week ago.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would have been better included in last week's newsletter. Millions would have seen it, many of who probably never visit this forum.
  • redbull5
    redbull5 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    ahh, thats why its taking over 2 weeks for my bonds to be paid into my current account, i thought they were lost in transit lol.

Hopefully there will arrive later this week, Will be good to top up the ISA.
    From England - Live in Edinburgh and work as a bus driver
  • Theblueone
    Theblueone Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I could have done with thinking about this before now. I have a tescos credit card payment due 4 may. Sent the cheque 21 April thinking this was plenty of time only to now realise that this doesn't leave the required number of working days!

So better to be safe than sorry I have just rung them up to check. The person who answered the phone said well you have only left five working days so I can't guarantee it will be on time! (well I never I'd worked that out for myself!)

I did get her to put a note on the account to say that i had called,when I had sent the cheque and for how much so fingers crossed.

Maybe worth people in the same situation do at least giving their credit card company a call to explain at least that way it shows you have tried to acknowledge!

Not sure it would hold any water if it didn't quite make it on time but at least I tried!
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What actually happens during these 5 working days? I understand that the cheque would initially be processed by hand, but then surely after that everything is done automatically?
  • jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    corbyboy wrote: »
    What actually happens during these 5 working days? I understand that the cheque would initially be processed by hand, but then surely after that everything is done automatically?

I find it amazing that we've seen the fiftieth anniversary of sending the first man into space, but banks still take up to six working days to clear a cheque!
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    Options
    1. It's not just cheques that could take longer to clear - it's also things like credit-card payments.

2. It's a bit late for this when two of the four bank holidays around last week/this week/next week have already passed. It would have been far more useful to publish this warning a week ago.

Aye mse guy is always a bit slow in posting his 'news' :p

usually he posts it after some other mse member has, but in this case he has completely dropped the ball and done it a week late :rotfl:
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    jgriggle wrote: »
    I find it amazing that we've seen the fiftieth anniversary of sending the first man into space, but banks still take up to six working days to clear a cheque!

It can be done in around ten minutes BUT it's how the banks generate profit and keep running for free.

It's going to be an interesting new world of banking when cheques disappear
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slow news day?
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories