Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • easy
    • By easy 20th May 09, 11:49 AM
    • 2,337Posts
    • 2,748Thanks
    easy
    0 WOW
    Want to take DS somewhere on an aeroplane. Not far, not a lot of money, Any ideas?
    • 20th May 09, 11:49 AM
    0 WOW
    Want to take DS somewhere on an aeroplane. Not far, not a lot of money, Any ideas? 20th May 09 at 11:49 AM
    DS is 9 and has never been on a plane yet, altho he's done 3 cruises in his life. It's time he had that experience I think.

I fancy taking him somewhere for 2 or 3 nights, was thinking Jersey/Ireland ish, but have no idea of any good child-friendly hotels.

Ideally East Midlands airport (only 25 mins away).

Just looking for suggestions please.
Page 1
  • Donnie
    • 20th May 09, 3:08 PM
    • 20th May 09, 3:08 PM
    Ryanair currently has Nantes, Bergerac, Pisa for 16 return(of course it may be cheaper in a couple of days).

Jersey/Ireland sounds too close/similar to where you are now.
    • quickstepqueen
    • By quickstepqueen 21st May 09, 6:14 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    quickstepqueen
    • 21st May 09, 6:14 PM
    • 21st May 09, 6:14 PM
    My stepchildren fly from East Midlands back home to Inverness. It's a small airport, and you could take DS to Loch Ness to nessiewatch LOL
  • sturll
    • 21st May 09, 7:22 PM
    • 21st May 09, 7:22 PM
    wtf is ds?

Nintendo DS?
  • Megansmum
    • 21st May 09, 7:53 PM
    • 21st May 09, 7:53 PM
    We went from east midlands with ryanair on a deal 60 2 adults and a child. Taxi from pisa airport to camping torre pendente is twelve euro. A small caravan is 150 for 3 nights. You can view on: http://www.campingtorrependente.it/eng/default.htm

You are a 10 minute walk from the leaning tower and duomo. The camp site has a pool, restaurant, cafe, shop, gift shop, play area, internet cafe, bike hire etc.
    Marina de pisa is a lovely 30 minute bike ride away with a rock enclosed bay and beach.
    The food is to die for and the italians absolutely love kids!!
    The buses and trains are really cheap and clean and you can visit anywhere: LOucca, sienna, viarregio, florence, livorno etc.

We go every year and took our eldest 2 (21 and 17 ) when they were young and now we go with our 22 month old too!
    Came home last night from spending 6 days there and every day was sunny and 25 degrees!!
    2009 - Attempting to grow my own Kitchen garden..... did it!!!
    2010 - Attempting to make my garden a beautiful place for dd2 to enjoy!
    • irishwench69
    • By irishwench69 22nd May 09, 11:56 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    irishwench69
    • 22nd May 09, 11:56 AM
    • 22nd May 09, 11:56 AM
    wtf is ds?

Nintendo DS?
    Originally posted by sturll
    Possibly that as well, but I think it means 'Darling Son' in this case

There's a whole section of similar abbreviations (DD - darling daughter, DH - darling husband etc)

HTH!

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
    Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • sturll
    • 22nd May 09, 2:22 PM
    • 22nd May 09, 2:22 PM
    Possibly that as well, but I think it means 'Darling Son' in this case

There's a whole section of similar abbreviations (DD - darling daughter, DH - darling husband etc)

HTH!

IW x
    Originally posted by irishwench69
    Why not just say son??

:confused:
  • potnoodle
    • 22nd May 09, 8:19 PM
    • 22nd May 09, 8:19 PM
    ds, dd, etc, are used on most forums ive used on internet, i used to wonder too but now im used to it! (even had to google it, how blonde ?
    • PolishBigSpender
    • By PolishBigSpender 23rd May 09, 9:32 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,692 Thanks
    PolishBigSpender
    • 23rd May 09, 9:32 PM
    • 23rd May 09, 9:32 PM
    ds, dd, etc, are used on most forums ive used on internet, i used to wonder too but now im used to it! (even had to google it, how blonde ?
    Originally posted by potnoodle
    Most forums?

Perhaps 'most forums visited by people who earn wages and not salaries' would be more appropriate.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 23rd May 09, 9:46 PM
    • 18,414 Posts
    • 46,890 Thanks
    duchy
    Nope just "most forums" or actually fora if I was to really nitpick
    Of course my experience of forums only goes back to around 1993 and covers a wide range of topics across the spectrum. DH, DS etc goes right back to then and has nothing to do with income or education. Please refrain from talking out of your backside.
    Last edited by duchy; 23-05-2009 at 9:50 PM.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    • PolishBigSpender
    • By PolishBigSpender 23rd May 09, 10:16 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,692 Thanks
    PolishBigSpender
    Thankfully, I don't have to use such abbreviations.

I was always taught by my Cambridge-educated English teacher that there are two forms of English - 'wage' English and 'salary' English. For that reason, I don't do abbreviations.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • sturll

I was always taught by my Cambridge-educated English teacher that there are two forms of English - 'wage' English and 'salary' English. For that reason, I don't do abbreviations.
    Originally posted by PolishBigSpender

That's why you;re 'Cambridge taught' teacher was just that. Because those who can - do it, Those who can't - teach.

• Quasar
    • By Quasar 23rd May 09, 11:38 PM
    • 115,079 Posts
    • 239,167 Thanks
    Quasar

Netspeak does not necessarily reveal a poorly educated person. It is the convention that, like texting, when you type certain cliche phrases you can abbreviate them to make the post shorter and less time consuming.

Many Cambridge/Oxford educated persons use netspeak when posting on fora. The truly pedantic and humourless probably do not, of course, but that does not mean that those who do are necessarily the "wage" English sort. In fact, many conceited toffs aren't averse to type "IYKWIM" rather than "If You Know What I Mean".

Anyway there are worse people than "wage" English people. They are called snobs.

Last edited by Quasar; 23-05-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    If you do not make time for your wellness, you will be forced to make time for your illness.
    • melorablack
    • By melorablack 24th May 09, 12:54 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    melorablack

I'd rather be seen as being "wage English" than a snobby ignorant fool.

May I just ask....if you are so keen for everyone to think you are so well educated and a "salary" English person, why let yourself down by being rude and ignorant to others? Well done for enforcing that stereotype of the "salary" English class

• ailuro2
    Rule out Dublin - the flight is short, but the place is not very child friendly, and accommodation prices are on a par with Edinburgh.

I agree that Inverness is a great place to go to, loads to do in the area if you've a hire car, but since you want to keep it cheap, how about a deal to Glasgow Prestwick then get the (short journey)train from Prestwick to Glasgow?

Please don't feed the trolls - for anyone who doesn't know what a troll is, it's nasty little ugly things that pop out when least expected and try to cause trouble - even more widespread on these boards than the shortening of common phrases to acronyms.:rolleyes:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ will provide some interesting reading for those with too much time on their hands.
    Last edited by ailuro2; 24-05-2009 at 9:47 AM.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Peakma
    I have family in Jersey,and go over with the kids for a holiday most years.They love it,and are eager to go back this year.Loads of different beaches,all beautiful in there own way,shelly,sandy,rockpools,body boarding etc.
    The flight is short enough to be just fun,rather than a chore.I'd reccomend Jersey,I think every 9 year old child would love it.Theres a lot of german war bunkers, if he's interested in that sort of stuff.
    My Kids favourite beaches are Greve de lecq,great for rockpools and a nice cafe called Coleens for a tasty burger.
    St.ouens bay,where the sea goes way out ,and the sea stays shallow for quite a way,great for kids body boarding,then food at the splash.We went here last year when the tide was up and they found it so exciting to be sat in the window of the Splash,whilst the waves were hitting them!
    Or portlet,where you have to go down lots of steps,to the beach,then theres a child friendly pub at the top.
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 27th May 09, 6:11 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    Teahfc
    After 9 or 10 posts that were the usual BS ( Bull shoot) among posters back to the Opening post.

Budget
    Time of year

Both would help so we can get some proper ideas put together for you
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 27th May 09, 7:36 PM
    • 23,855 Posts
    • 64,224 Thanks
    Pollycat
    After 9 or 10 posts that were the usual BS ( Bull shoot) among posters back to the Opening post.

Originally posted by Teahfc
    Totally agree with you there.
    Who cares whether somebody was taught English by somebody who went to Cambridge. :confused:

OP
    I just happened to notice in out local free paper that a company called Aurigny Air Services have just started a daily service from East Midlands to Guernsey, departing EMA 15:30, departing Guernsey 13:45, flight time of 1 hour 15 mins.
    No idea of prices, though.

I'm sure your som will love the flight wherever you decide to go.
    • easy
    • By easy 28th May 09, 10:29 AM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 2,748 Thanks
    easy
    Thanks for bringing this back on track. I had bowed out, because I didn't want to start boasting about my private education, and ability to adapt to all different social/intellectual situations and levels

My budget is around 500 for 2 adults + child, Ideally at the beginning of the summer hols (last week in July).
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 28th May 09, 6:07 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    Teahfc
    East Mids Airport - Dinard Brittany France.

Ryan Air

Thu, 30 Jul 09
    FlightFR 1652
    12:20 Depart
    14:35 Arrive

Back

Sun, 2 Aug 09
    FlightFR 1653
    15:10 Depart
    15:20 Arrive

Cost Less than 200.00 for 2 Adults and 1 Child.

Visit to Cobac park

http://www.cobac-parc.com/us_visite-cobac-parc.html

3 nights accomodation

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/residence-le-crystal.html?label=gog235jc;sid=d28d8a6b049b426580 8421729168a981;checkin=2009-07-30;checkout=2009-08-02

Children u11 stay free.

A couple of taxi rides at 10 each and a couple of meals another 100

and good night 600
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,695Posts Today

6,405Users online

Martin's Twitter