Kitten Food Help

Comments

• hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    MincePied wrote: »
    The kittens would bring much more enjoyment than the basic SKY channels ever will

That is so true! :)
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    i think you'll find your kittens will dictate what food they want and when, what mood they are in today and what they feel like munching on!! it often depends on what they had when weaned too (which is also out of your control)
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Blondetotty
    Blondetotty Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Will you have enough money for emergency vets bills if needed? The amount of times I've seen people not taking their pets to a vet because they can't afford it, or dumping them at a shelter I volunteer at because they've not been able to afford veterinary care is unbelievable. Please don't be one of those people.

I'm a firm believer that if you can't afford something, and it's ongoing upkeep or care, you shouldn't buy or get it in the first place. Pet ownership is a privilege, not a right.

I've just had £180 vet bill for a consult, sedation and blood test and nail trim (while he was sedated). My pensioner mum has paid out thousands on vets bills over the last year for her cat. Fortunately she continues to pay the £30 a month petplan insurance and gets back 75% of this cost but in my opinion £60 a month for all costs...litter, food, flea, worming, vaccinations, and insurance is barely enough for 1 cat, let alone 2. Add in toys, cattery stays, treats etc and you're well over budget.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but if you're really on that much of a fixed budget maybe you should consider an easier to afford pet.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    MincePied wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. My budget would be around £60 per month for ongoing costs. I have money for the initial vaccinations and neutering separately.
    I know that will be close which is why i am asking advice before committing myself.
    If i did need slightly more i would much sooner cancel the sky TV subscription (only paying £20 per month for basic channels) and use that money. The kittens would bring much more enjoyment than the basic SKY channels ever will
    I have 4 adult cats and they eat about £45 worth of food a month. We buy 120 pouches of Felix as good as it looks from Amazon £28.49 and sacks of dried Porta 21 from Zooplus a large sack last well over a month maybe 2 and costs about £30.

The cats are healthy and rarely need to see a vet now they are older, usually due to them being injured due to cat fight or exploring where they shouldn't.
  • charlotte1994
    charlotte1994 Posts: 854 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2019 at 3:17PM
    1) adopt don't shop! There are plenty of kittens that already need a home!

2) Yes a mix of wet and dry. Mainly dry food is better for their teeth. I remember my first family cat, we fed her only wet food as we thought it would be best, she had to have teeth pulled out in the end and they advised mainly dry food. My current cat, she has a (about) 60% dry food diet. It's better for them, but wet food is good to add, maybe one meal a day should be wet. Try if you have a Farm Foods near by you should compare cat food prices from there!

Don't forget other costs such as pet insurance (should be cheap if they're neutered kittens), fleaing and worming - try and purchase these from the vet if possible, cat litter (I buy mine from wilko. Cats can be fussy so you might end up trying different types!), health check ups, any vaccines they need etc. I have a 1 year old cat and I reckon she costs me about £20 in total - food, insurance, cat litter, medicines
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    I am a raw food advocate all the way.
  • If you have more than one cat, keep an eye on how much each of them is eating

We used to have two cats who were siblings from the same litter, one of them was a greedy guzzleguts, the other was a grazer. When she first had them my GF (who had never had cats before) was told not to worry about it, they'd sort it out among themselves. Unfortunately that's a complete myth, the result was one obese cat and one underweight cat. In the end the only solution was to feed them in separate rooms.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have more than one cat, keep an eye on how much each of them is eating

We used to have two cats who were siblings from the same litter, one of them was a greedy guzzleguts, the other was a grazer. When she first had them my GF (who had never had cats before) was told not to worry about it, they'd sort it out among themselves. Unfortunately that's a complete myth, the result was one obese cat and one underweight cat. In the end the only solution was to feed them in separate rooms.

We had the same problem with our younger two. We ended up putting a bowl in a higher place and feeding the smaller cat separately. Fortunately it was a phase and the younger one is less greedy now. What is a bigger issue is stopping him eating the plants on our balcony.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Franz123
    Franz123 Posts: 10 Forumite
    milk is the best for kittens.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Franz123 wrote: »
    milk is the best for kittens.

Absolutely NOT.

OP - with your £60 per month budget, what did you factor in?

Food, litter, worming tablets, flea treatment, insurance? £60 would not cover that I am afraid.

I have 4 cats at the moment, insurance for 4 of them is £85 per month, food around 50-60 per month (I buy Animonda Carny tins and Porta21 dry , both from https://www.zooplus.co.uk), flea treatment is arund £11 per month (from https://www.animed.co.uk), worming do not remember.

If you do not insure your cats - and you are on a budget as it is - how are you going to be able to cover potential vet bills?

Rather than 2 kittens, why not get an adult cat from a rescue?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure