How long does Sky box receive basic channels after cancelling sub?

Options
When we cancelled our Sky subscription we were told (I forget by whom) that the box would still receive free to air channnels for two or four years (I forget which). The box has stopped receiving a satellite signal so can someone please tell me how long free to air continues after a sub ends, and how to double-check what is going on with the box? Thanks.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The box doubles up as a free to air receiver when you cancel your subscription and it should continue ad-infinitum until the cables go, the satellites fall out of the sky or the box breaks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The box has stopped receiving a satellite signal
    This will be a mechanical fault due to the age of your equipment. It may even be that all that needs to be done is a simple re-alignment of your dish. It's also possible your decoder or cabling needs to be replaced.

Regardless, fully functioning ex-subscription Sky decoders will provide Free-To-Air channels indefinitely.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=Moneyineptitude;75564518Regardless,_fully_functioning_ex-subscription__Sky_decoders_will_provide_Free-To-Air_channels_indefinitely.[/QUOTE]
    The only thing that will happen is incorrect regional TV channel assignment to the registered postcode on the viewing card if/when $ky swap the cards out for their subscribers. That's pretty infrequent, but the boxes will work without a card inserted anyway.

Note the latest $ky Q boxes are owned by $ky and only rented (like Virgin cable boxes) to the end user. So these might be taken back by $ky in the future or, potentially, disabled?:eek:
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For a Sky satellite box you can just take out the card and it will work.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all. I took out the card (didn't work), put it back, twiddled every wire in sight and it's working.

About 50 years ago, when I was a kid, my grandparents' TV stopped working. My father said "give it a whack on the side", the equivalent in those days of restarting or twiddling wires. And hey presto!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One of my cable connections at the box is dodgy and I've never got round to sorting it. It does lose signal if I nudge the box or dust it too vigorously, so I tend not to.....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all. I took out the card (didn't work), put it back, twiddled every wire in sight and it's working.
    Your cabling is at fault then. Make sure all the connections are tightened and free of any kinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure