PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• Shropshirelass
    Options
    Sponge cake spread with apricot jam and sprinkled with coconut, and batch of crunchy oat biscuits. Should last us for a few days teatime snacks.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sponge cake spread with apricot jam and sprinkled with coconut, and batch of crunchy oat biscuits. Should last us for a few days teatime snacks.
    Ooh yum! *Vows to do the same with the raspberry jam in the fridge*
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Your sponge sounds amazing. Coconut on jam looks very professional, never mind tasting amazing.

I made a quick and easy fruit loaf for hubby's packed lunches. I cut it into 3 to freeze, so it's fairly frugal.

Usually I do a "tea loaf" but this time I tried the boiled method. It was easier to throw together without steeping the fruit overnight.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I made a pear crumble today, which went down well.

Even better is chocolate pear crumble ;)

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I made some chocolate chip shortbread biscuits. I only had baking margarine in the fridge and whilst edible, it's not as good as real butter.
    I also made 8 bread rolls. They were really good.

I bought some toasted coconut from the grape tree it's in big shavings, I need to find a recipe that I can use this in. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I made some chocolate chip shortbread biscuits. I only had baking margarine in the fridge and whilst edible, it's not as good as real butter.
    I also made 8 bread rolls. They were really good.

I bought some toasted coconut from the grape tree it's in big shavings, I need to find a recipe that I can use this in. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.
    I'd mix it with nuts and seeds = trail mix. Or just have it in yoghurt, but I probably wouldn't want to bake it if it's already toasted.

I don't like margarines, but strangely neither do I like buttery biscuits - I actually think marg gives a better (less greasy) result!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DWhite
    DWhite Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chocolate chip shortbread sounds like a nice treat, woudn't last long in this house as FIL loves shortbread.
    I'm sitting looking through a Girl Called Jack's website and looking for some nice, simple, healthy recipes to give a go. Also the pinch of nom website as they fit SW a lot more. I'm hoping to combine the two and come up with some nice treats.

I'm feeling uninspired today, unusually for me as normally my mind is full of baking ideas that I want to give a go!
  • DWhite
    Options
    I actually really want to make a 'soreen' loaf. But I've not found a recipe for it, in my mind it will be quite tricky. So if anyone has ideas or suggestions I'd like that.
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    I am feeling super proud of myself, as I think I have finally cracked bread. I have been trying to bake bread since high school, so almost two decades now. It has always, even with a breadmaker, turned out more like a brick than a loaf. My ex used to have to load the breadmaker, as if I did it we got rubbish bread. I kid you not.

Today I have a loaf in the over that has actually risen properly. I made one the other day that also rose. I am over the moon. A whole world of home-made bread is now open to me! :D
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • DWhite
    Options
    Well done KeepOn! Bread has been a challenge for me over the years, I can do 'normal' bread but when I've tried the more complicated stuff it's been very hit and miss and it's easy to get de motivated when it's such a labour of love!

Keep on with the bread, nothing beats the smell of freshly made bread filling the house, especially in Autumn
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback