Can you be dismissed for not declaring a disability

I worked for the same company for over two years. I recently went for a promotion and did not declare on my form that I had a disability. I have a learning condition called dyspraxia. I never been given any reasonable adjustments before in any other jobs.

Comments

• re14796
    re14796 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Can I get in trouble if I apply for a new job outside my organisation but declare I have a disability?
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    "Disability" is subjective and subject to change, down to whether someone considers themselves to be significantly affected in every day life at any given time.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    re14796 wrote: »
    I worked for the same company for over two years. I recently went for a promotion and did not declare on my form that I had a disability. I have a learning condition called dyspraxia. I never been given any reasonable adjustments before in any other jobs.
    re14796 wrote: »
    Can I get in trouble if I apply for a new job outside my organisation but declare I have a disability?

Lying, overtly or by omission, is never a good strategy with an employer. How would the employer make adjustments for a disability they were unaware of?

Dyspraxia isn’t a learning condition, it’s a coordination condition. Would you have been safe to carry out the responsibilities of the promotion?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_coordination_disorder
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Would likely depend on whether it would have a significant impact on your normal duties in this role, both on the:

1. Honesty element

2. Fact that you are potentially created an unnecessary workplace hazard for YOU and OTHER PEOPLE.

Having a disability is not an automatic exclusion when it comes to MOST jobs, and of the times it IS an automatic exclusion it is for a very valid/good reason. So quite why you didn't declare is beyond me, but hey ho!
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The short answer is usually no, but it could depend on the circumstances. What are you worried about specifically?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure