Cat and obesity management

Last check up, the cat is right on the brink of obesity. I feed her holistic wet and dental biscuits so having a re-think. I was looking into trying Royal Canin obesity management but the ingredient list looks like a horror story ! :eek: Has anybody tried these on their cat, have positive or negative remarks etc
Cheers

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Feed the moggie less !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ignore those squeaks for more

My vet says you should be able to feel a waist line.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Mine always gets a bit rounder in the winter when she goes out less and grows thicker fur - really hates the snow! But it comes off in the summer.

As said previously, just feed her less of what she's used to. Bit by bit every day slightly less. Feeding a completely new diet might cause her upset tum (though I suppose that's one way of losing weight!!!) so just gradually reduce the amount of what she's eating now. She'll get used to it.

Diet pet food just falls into the same category as rip off diet food for humans - just there to take more money from us poor gullible punters.

DS
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have 3 cats and the best tactic is that we have a twin bowl which we put food in both for them which seems to work. We do only fill it up twice a day, it will take time and you do have to ignore the pleas.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • auldblerk
    auldblerk Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    TripleH wrote: »
    We have 3 cats and the best tactic is that we have a twin bowl which we put food in both for them which seems to work. We do only fill it up twice a day, it will take time and you do have to ignore the pleas.

Yes and it's a case of everytime I go in the kitchen, she follows me in and expects something so will have to take a hard line on this and ignore her pleas
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We feed our boys both wet and dry food, but the dry food is in puzzle feeders.

As they were house cats (still only go out under supervision, not quite ready to roam free!) this was a good distraction for them.

We got some mice by Pheobe & Doc which aren't cheap, but since using those the boys have definitely lost weight.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My Fat Cat Diaries won't help, but will make you smile.

I went to visit a friend whose cat had become overweight. The family had worked hard to deal with this: food was measured out each day and that amount of food was stuck to: no adding a bit more because it didn't look like very much, or adding a bit more because the cat was pestering.

My friend said the cat seemed much happier once the weight came off, more active and enjoying the garden.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport