Why is the energy club cost estimate so inaccurate?

Options
Patr100
Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
I'm a relatively low gas user on Ebico zero.
I enter the Kwh annual count from last 12 months provided by ebico which is 2963. Ebico estimate I pay about £149 a year, which is about right.
Yet the energy club on the same Kwh figure says I am currently paying £422 a year!

If this is so inaccurate to start with , how can it get comparisons right?

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure the tariff you've selected is correct. IE not the prepay tariff?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Patr100 wrote: »
    I'm a relatively low gas user on Ebico zero.
    I enter the Kwh annual count from last 12 months provided by ebico which is 2963. Ebico estimate I pay about £149 a year, which is about right.
    Yet the energy club on the same Kwh figure says I am currently paying £422 a year!

If this is so inaccurate to start with , how can it get comparisons right?

Usually it's as a result of GIGO ;)

My guess is that you are hoping to compare the price of gas tariffs, but have input the figures for electricity.

:doh:
  • Patr100
    edited 10 May 2018 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Nope, none of the above. All the tariffs inputs etc are correct . My pure kwh count for electricity is actually lower than that for gas so accidentally inputting that would not have given a bigger figure. What confused me is that when summarising the figures , it lists a cumulative annual/monthly figure for both gas and electricity even if you are not a dual fuel with the same supplier but with two different suppliers.
    Would have been helpful to split them in the summary page as tariffs end at different points.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Patr100 wrote: »
    Nope, none of the above. All the tariffs inputs etc are correct . My pure kwh count for electricity is actually lower than that for gas so accidentally inputting that would not have given a bigger figure. What confused me is that when summarising the figures , it lists a cumulative annual/monthly figure for both gas and electricity even if you are not a dual fuel with the same supplier but with two different suppliers.
    Would have been helpful to split them in the summary page as tariffs end at different points.

Any more clues (like telling us the exact data you have input; postcode, usage data for each fuel, etc), or are we expected to keep guessing? :cool:

Not sure what you mean by "tariffs end at different points" :huh:
    Ebico Zero is a never-ending tariff.

Pretty sure you only get one DD collection per month on Ebico Zero too, so not sure why you want the costs split.

But if you click on 'feedback & info', that will give you the individual annual cost of each fuel (for the tariff you have selected)
    Divide by 12 for the estimated monthly collection amount.
  • Patr100
    Options
    Any more clues (like telling us the exact data you have input; postcode, usage data for each fuel, etc), or are we expected to keep guessing? :cool:

Not sure what you mean by "tariffs end at different points" :huh:
    Ebico Zero is a never-ending tariff.

Pretty sure you only get one DD collection per month on Ebico Zero too, so not sure why you want the costs split.

But if you click on 'feedback & info', that will give you the individual annual cost of each fuel (for the tariff you have selected)
    Divide by 12 for the estimated monthly collection amount.

I just already answered my own question. Read my answer again.
    This the cumulative figure but AS I SAID includes both electricity and Gas from two different suppliers, hence the confusion.
    SXftkv1.jpg
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Well done, I don't think anyone would have come up with that explanation without you explaining it to us :T

I know I would certainly not have come up with that explanation as it displays differently on my computer

MSE_CEC_tarif_dispay_format.jpg

I've used different consumption figures (and probably a different supply region) so the costs are different, but the format is what I refer to.

If you only want to compare gas tariffs, you can select this within the CEC, and you will only be shown your cost for gas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure