Free guide from Refuge for women experiencing domestic violence

Comments

• Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    That's the scheme up and running now, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34403806 and you can find the disclosure form is here https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/disclosure/ , I do hope if someone does use this from this post their fears are unfounded & if not that you get all the help you can.
    Booo!!!
  • Wow, it's nice to have such a thread around here.
  • shannonhill
    shannonhill Posts: 25 Forumite
    zita wrote: »
    I just would like to say that its great to see Domestic Violence awareness.

I escaped DV 6 years ago with my then 3 year old daughter. We left out home with a bag of clothes and went into a refuge runned by Womens Aid. Although it was very difficult to adapt it was the best thing that could have happen to us. We were re housed about 15 months later and had to start from scratch but we did it. I got furniture from a local charity, looked for free to colector stuff from the local newspaper and slowly built up a home.

If you have an escape fund all the better but sometimes the situation you are in is so bad you just need to escape.

I just hope that people out there male or female that are caught in a Domestic Violence situation dont give up on escaping due to financial issues. At the end of the day your life and well being its priceless, everything else can be replaced.

Sad to hear what you had to go through, and happy that it's all over now :)

Although I've never been in an abusive relationship before, I've counseled women who've gone through the phase, and it's very, very difficult. It's not just financial issues. Some feel that they're on the receiving end of the abuse because they've done something wrong. DV victims first need to stop finding fault with themselves and understand that their is nothing that can justify physical abuse.
  • Is anyone following the relevant storyline on 'The Archers'? A woman arrested and being tried for attempted murder when she tried to leave. Coercive control and marital rape have come up in course of the trial. Verdict this evening in an hour's episode, normally 12 minutes.

I've contributed to Refuge - the charity has raised approx £150K I believe, following an appeal 'Free Helen Titchener'.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is anyone following the relevant storyline on 'The Archers'? A woman arrested and being tried for attempted murder when she tried to leave. Coercive control and marital rape have come up in course of the trial. Verdict this evening in an hour's episode, normally 12 minutes.

I've contributed to Refuge - the charity has raised approx £150K I believe, following an appeal 'Free Helen Titchener'.

Me too - the story has raised the profile of coercive control.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can we have a separate thread for Men and can you make it a sticky like this one please.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is anyone following the relevant storyline on 'The Archers'? A woman arrested and being tried for attempted murder when she tried to leave. Coercive control and marital rape have come up in course of the trial. Verdict this evening in an hour's episode, normally 12 minutes.

What do you think of the Story Line NOW?

I helped someone who was a lot worse, it went on for a lot longer and did not end so well.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Wow, I hope this helps a lot of people. I've been in this position twice before, Never again, I hope
  • The links for advice are outdated and don't work. Is there any new guides anywhere?

Thank you
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    The links for advice are outdated and don't work. Is there any new guides anywhere?

Thank you

https://www.womensaid.org.uk/the-survivors-handbook/money-issues/#1447867807088-0eb8b339-9c8a

Although it's by women's aid, the advice applies to men too. I've linked the money section, but there's a wealth of information there on many topics.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback