Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 9th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Graffiti in Bank
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    Graffiti in Bank 9th Mar 18 at 5:52 PM
    Some context to this issue but some months ago a customer within a Halifax branch spotted some racist graffiti in a bank and made a big deal of it, demanding compensation etc, I later found out this graffiti had anti Semitic connotations.

Some months later in the same branch I spotted some anti Semitic graffiti so I had a quiet word with a staff member. I returned to the branch some days later, noticed nothing had been done so I sent an email into Halifax.

I received a call from Halifax some days later demanding to know exactly where the graffiti was to which I advised. Later the same day a staff member called me back to advise that the graffiti was removed but my complaint was not being upheld as nobody remembers talking to me and the area where the graffiti was is checked daily. I advised that I was unhappy with how Halifax had dealt with this.

Is this normal from the bank?
    Last edited by Outsider_83; 26-03-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Page 1
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 9th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    Was it the same bank as your other thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5743596
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 9th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    Same one, probably an issue but they should still remove it although I won't mention it again.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 9th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    Stay out of such issues, I assume the bank maybe fed up with such feedback.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 9th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    How long before the usual poster recommends you "moan, complain and ask for compensation", I wonder.

In fact it's probably precisely because of litigious compensation-culture proponents (like the aforementioned) that your bank interpreted your community mindedness as angling for a quick buck. Either that, or the handler woke up that day to discover his wife was cheating on him with his boss and his cat had left a present in his cornflakes, but I suspect the former. Sad that it's got to this state of affairs.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 9th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    Gosh I had no intention of seeking anything other than the graffitis removal, I'm just disappointed with the way the handler spoke to me but such is life.
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    The complaint handler mentioned that the area is reviewed every day and the longest it could have been within the bank was from yesterday (Thursday). I asked how they could account for me officially sending an email on Tuesday but the complaint Manager advised his position is final.
    I regret sending the email now but I just felt that as it included insulting references to ethnic groups it was better for everyone to have it removed. Is this the normal way for feedback to be handled or should I have stayed out of it completely?
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    If it offends you, next time take a photo and tweet it to the Bank. I'll bet you get a quicker and more efficient resolution..
    ====
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    Is this the normal way for feedback to be handled or should I have stayed out of it completely?
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    I've no idea if it's normal but no, you shouldn't have stayed out of it. Well done.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • 8i6daddy
    • By 8i6daddy 9th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    8i6daddy
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    If it offends you, next time take a photo and tweet it to the Bank. I'll bet you get a quicker and more efficient resolution..
    Originally posted by d123
    +1 for Twitter... Social Media is king in these situations. Bad publicity seems to get immediate attention. Long gone are the days of the traditional methods of "complaining"
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 9th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Cotta
    What I don't understand is why they refused to uphold your complaint but did advise they'd removed the graffiti, this is odd.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 10th Mar 18, 6:38 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Was it a Banksy?

I'll let my coat....
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,080 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Was it a Banksy?

I'll let my coat....
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    If your coat is mortgaged don't forget that you'll need consent to let it .
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 10th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    in my wellies
    Perhaps the caller was mixing you up with the other person who asked for compensation?
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 10th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 3,765 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    What I don't understand is why they refused to uphold your complaint but did advise they'd removed the graffiti, this is odd.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    No it isn't. They rejected your complaint that they hadn't acted quickly enough. But that doesn't mean they weren't going to remove it as soon as possible anyway.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 10th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 2,612 Thanks
    alanq
    Originally posted by d123
    By publishing a photo of the offensive material, instead of a few people in a bank branch seeing it, all of the bank's followers will see it - and there could be consequences for person posting the photo spreading the offensive messages. It may be worth taking a photo as evidence but the tweet should just describe the problem.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 10th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Mchambers
    OP...Moan and ask for compensation.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 7,428 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    eskbanker
    How long before the usual poster recommends you "moan, complain and ask for compensation", I wonder.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    That'll be about 16 hours then....
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 10th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    More importantly, was it grafitti or grafitto?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 10th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Mchambers
    That'll be about 16 hours then....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Not bad was it ?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 10th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    RG2015
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    Nothing wrong with being the self-appointed guardian of UK banking standards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,497Users online

Martin's Twitter