Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beffalump
    • By Beffalump 3rd Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Beffalump
    Where do I start?
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    Where do I start? 3rd Mar 18 at 3:37 PM
    Hi,
    I'm new to the site and to forums so please bear with me while I get used to it and advanced apologies if I'm asking dumb questions.
    I would like to know how to go about starting up a business selling candles and bathbombs.
    I understand this will never make me a millionaire but it's something I do as a hobby and give as gifts but have been asked by friends of friends if i can make for them and they'd be willing to pay for them. I really think I will only make possibly £500 to £750 a year maybe and so I would want any start up fees to be nominal as possible. I will literally only be selling (possibly) in my local area advertising through a leaflet drop.
    I am a stay at home mum and don't claim any benefits so this would be a source of income to me, my hubby earns £28k so I don't know if that would have any impact on tax and NI or anything.
    Any help or advice would be amazing thank you.
Page 1
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 3rd Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    It's not something I've done personally but know a few people who do similar. From what I've heard, if you only expect to be making £750 a year it might not be worth it as you will need to comply with the law even if you're only selling to friends.

For example, you will need insurance in case something goes wrong or somebody claims something was wrong. Even if you did everything 100% by the book, you'd still need money to defend yourself in court. It's simply not worth going without it, both to protect yourself (unless you have millions already in the bank!) and to protect your customers (if you did cause somebody injury, say a candle exploded, it's only fair that they should be compensated).

I think with cosmetics and candles, you will need to have your products assessed for safety, as well as ensuring that your labelling meets legal requirements. I haven't done any research but this site: http://www.cosmeticsafetyassessment.com/index.php?p=1_4_Assessments gives some prices for testing products. That would take up a big chunk of your £750 even if you only made a few products. Of course, you could then keep making the same thing for years without re-testing but many companies keep making new products to keep customers interested.

If you're not earning, you won't need to pay tax or NI but you will still need to register as self-employed and fill in a tax return. It's quite straightforward if you take your time and follow the instructions, as well as keeping proper records.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 3rd Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 6,044 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    your husband is irrelevant as, thanks to women's lib, you, as a (mere) female, stand on your own 2 feet

1. you will be selling items with a view to making a profit
    2. that means you are "trading"
    3. that means you need to register with HMRC as a self employed trader
    https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed
    4. you will therefore need to submit a tax return and pay tax on the profits you make
    5. the profits will be calculated after you have deducted relevant expenses incurred in undertaking your business
    Last edited by 00ec25; 03-03-2018 at 4:22 PM.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Mar 18, 1:47 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:47 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:47 AM
    Take a look at Amazon homemade, you only pay the commission (and no monthly charge) if you are selling less than 30 items per month plus you don't need to have barcodes etc.

You can get product liability insurance from Direct Line for about £70 per year.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • Book-Worm
    • By Book-Worm 11th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Book-Worm
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    You could try Amazon FBA
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    Our small library made £100 selling books on Amazon. Those we sold as merchant fulfilled were difficult because we had to monitor emails, and then package each individual book and rush off to the Post Office each time one sold. Those we sold on amazon Fulfilled FBA were much easier. All we had to do is to put them in bulk in large boxes, and get Amazon to collect. The profits then came back each month. We had to watch pricing because of the extra fulfillment and storage fees, but it is worth considering, especially since Amazon seem to give priority in listing their FBA merchants.
    • simonjstone
    • By simonjstone 14th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    simonjstone
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    ETSY have a great guide in setting up and there are some good facebook groups
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter