Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • voixdeville
    • By voixdeville 2nd Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 1Thanks
    voixdeville
    Buying ipads for a school
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    Buying ipads for a school 2nd Mar 18 at 10:02 AM
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knows where would be the best place to buy some ipads for a school? I will probably buy 30. Thanks
Page 1
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 2nd Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    I dont know but make sure you consider the VAT element.
    The school will ( ??? ) be VAT registered you are not ( ?? )
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 2nd Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    I suspect the school is part of the local council supply chain and therefore there will likely be a contract in place to supply these.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 2nd Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 2nd Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    I suspect the school is part of the local council supply chain and therefore there will likely be a contract in place to supply these.
    Originally posted by Comms69

I would have thought so too. Why is the OP buying them themselves?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 38,612 Posts
    • 35,334 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 2nd Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    And why i-pads? Other tablets are available at much more sensible prices ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • voixdeville
    • By voixdeville 3rd Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    voixdeville
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    Hi thanks so much for your replies. The school has had trouble buying from the local council- so wants to buy independently. What other tablets do you think are good value please? Thanks
    • voixdeville
    • By voixdeville 3rd Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    voixdeville
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    Im not sure where to go for advice on this, the school itself hasnt got a clue and they have put me in charge of resolving the issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 3rd Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 6,127 Posts
    • 11,528 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    Im not sure where to go for advice on this, the school itself hasnt got a clue and they have put me in charge of resolving the issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks
    Originally posted by voixdeville
    Has your financial auditor given you permission to do this?
    • Valli
    • By Valli 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 20,480 Posts
    • 232,810 Thanks
    Valli
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    If your school is a state school then they should be bought through the school; because then the purchase will be nett of VAT.
    Also, for a large-value purchase you *should* get quotes to find best value.
    Unless you're a PTA buying them. But you will also need secure (ie to satisfy insurance) storage and cases to protect them, too.
    Does the school buy in IT support? Who's going to update them? And buy/install the apps? There's a lot to think about!
    Who are you to have been put in charge? A member of staff?
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 3rd Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 6,044 Thanks
    00ec25
    so it is probable that OP is a teacher at said school
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=53215995&postcount=1

but, for reasons unknown, the school is so incompetent/ignorant, it has no access to professional procurement staff of a) its own, or b) at its funding body, to research how to buy a computer

pity the school
    • voixdeville
    • By voixdeville 4th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    voixdeville
    Unfortunately yes the school has a number of problems at the moment. Yes I am a teacher at the school, we don't buy in any IT support.

I know i will need quotes etc- and the items will be purchased through the school.

I would appreciate constructive advice rather than derogatory comments such as “pity the school” thanks.
    • voixdeville
    • By voixdeville 4th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    voixdeville
    Does anyone know of any independent organizatuons i could contact for advice? Thanks
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 4th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 19,468 Posts
    • 209,599 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    I don't know what to recommend to you, but I would certainly go for an Android tablet rather than Ipad.

What would I do in your situation?

I would write to the manufacturers. I have a Samsung that I find is good, other manufacturers are Acer, Huawei, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Google, HTC and Archos, among others.

I would suggest emailing them individually, as well as Apple, asking for the best way to get a quote for 30 of their tablets, outlining your situation, and see what they come back with.

It also depends on what apps you want on the tablet, whether they are expecting the apple apps or will manage with ones available in the Google Play store (easily accessible on a PC to have a look in).

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the hardware of the Ipad, but they charge twice the price they should because of the apple name.

Sorry, can't think of any independent organisations that could suggest anything to you.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 4th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Haylescom
    Ipads are expensive but are so useful for newer aspects of the NC. You could always look at chromebooks as well. Suplies for schools are usually quite competitive, or TTS. As you have no IT support though, you may want to look into purchasing from a firm who offer tech support. How do you get by without one? Are you primary or secondary? Subject leader? There's a facebook group for primary computing subject leaders.

Double check with the LEA that they definitely don't have a supplier who can do you a discount through bulk purchases. Another option would be leasing- lots of schools do this now so they can just replace sets when they're outdated.

Make sure you get plenty of quotes to pass to the finance committee of the governors before you make that decision. Have you been told what your computing budget is? I'm assuming you need to get this done before the end of March and the new budgets are in place?
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 4th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Haylescom
    It's worth noting as well that, in primary schools at least, each teacher is a specific subject leader and as such is in charge of the delegated budget for that particular subject.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 4th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 20,480 Posts
    • 232,810 Thanks
    Valli
    In addition to buying I pads we also bought a Mac, to administer the iPads and keep them upgraded, protective cases, a lockable trolley. We had to buy licenses for various apps, too, and subscription for various sites.

This would probably be outside the scope of a single subject budget anyway, but would come from a capital budget.

Why not talk to other schools in your cluster and start by getting in some IT support/advice?
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 31,903 Posts
    • 20,091 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Yes a lockable trolley is a wise decision, just a thought (maybe your aware of it so apologies) but these (when I say these I mean the chargers and not the Ipads) would get PAT tested which may add an extra cost.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 04-03-2018 at 5:56 PM.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 4th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 4,311 Thanks
    martindow
    If you are in a primary school it could be worth contacting the secondary you feed into. The IT people there ought to be able to help and there may be some advantage in aligning the tablets you get to what they already use.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 4th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 38,612 Posts
    • 35,334 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    You might get some advice from LASATech - scroll down to the tech bit.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Mar 18, 2:00 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Apple themselves heavily discount to educational establishments.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,497Users online

Martin's Twitter