Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 55
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 5th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    Regarding extras on new builds such as carpeting, tiles e.g., when did you have to pay for them and what were the terms? For example, was it before or after exchange and was the payment refundable? I'm wondering whether it's common to be asked for a non-refundable payment before exchanging contracts. What if the exchange doesn't go through for reasons outside my control?
    • nikkit72
    • By nikkit72 5th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    nikkit72
    Exchanged a few weeks ago, got transfer of deeds through today, and errors, so waiting on new one to come through,
    Going to view our house for first time saturday so i can meausre everything, hopefully build complete in next couple weeks, and co pleton hopefully 27/10, so exciting last few weeks seeing house being built,
    Dont forget that little Thanks button , only takes a sec
    • mrs M
    • By mrs M 6th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mrs M
    Our new build is ready to move into, expected to move last week so there is the new owners pack, a bottle of bubbly, some snacks and bits waiting for us... but our buyer hasn't signed the last bit of paperwork - they should be doing that today so we'll be moving in next week.... I cant wait! We have watched the plot go from a farmers field to a beautiful house, we want to make it a home now!
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 14th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    Reservation fee for a plot paid last weekend. Due for completion May 2018.
    Originally posted by dhokes
    Help to Buy application has been rejected as the developer currently doesn't have the funding for the next financial year. No developers do apparently. Waiting for their response.
    • Ithilien
    • By Ithilien 16th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ithilien
    After my previous message back in August, we've finally exchanged last week. Although the sales office advised there were no restrictive covenants, the contract contained two pages of them. Including "fleecehold" covenants ie. paying for permission to extend and alter the property on the outside.
    We were not best pleased; solicitor wasn't particularly helpful at the start either.
    Long story short, after weeks of negotiation we were happy to proceed. The builder agreed to give us some permission in advance (installing aerial, solar panels, shed etc), and we've got the cost of gaining further permissions in writing, to increase with inflation.
    We decided to go ahead as there is nothing in the area which comes close to the size and condition for the price.
    Now waiting for the build to be completed; probably by the end of March. House is halfway up; I think they're hoping for it to be wind- and water-tight by the end of next month. Can't wait to select the options; all this waiting is driving me mad.
    • smem18
    • By smem18 17th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    smem18
    Hello everyone.

We reserved a 1 bed flat in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire earlier this year. It was off-plan so we still haven't had the chance to see it! I think about it every day and am so anxious to visit the flat, but we have been told that this won't be possible until we do the pre-completion visit and snagging checklist. I am really hoping for new about this pre-completion visit any day now, because the contract states that this must be done a minimum of 10 days before completion.

Timeline was:

Paid reservation fee: 8th May 2017
    Mortgage offer: 1st June 2017
    Exchanged: 6th June
    Completion: estimated in early November.

The builder has been in contact to let us know that everything is still on schedule for November, but I still get nervous that there will be a delay. We have given notice to our landlord that we will likely want to move out sometime in November, and fortunately he has been very understanding about us not having a precise moving date. However he is really opposed to us moving in December because he worries about finding a new tenant so close to Christmas. He's asked if our completion ends up being in December, if we can continue to pay rent till end of January but I have been non-committal. He's been good to us but I don't want to be paying rent and mortgage simultaneously for any longer than necessary!

We never planned on getting a 1 bed flat, and wanted a two bed house originally, but our budget wouldn't permit in the end as we do not have time for a "project house" right now. I really hope we made the right decision, but we fell in love with the show flat and are excited to be paying into our own mortgage after 6 years of paying tens of thousands of pounds into the landlords mortgage...
    • Willis12376
    • By Willis12376 22nd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Willis12376
    Reserved our Bellway home early September.
    Mortgage offer sorted by L&C with little fuss and great customer service 3 weeks later.
    Solicitor instructed and endless amounts of paperwork supplied.
    Got our additions meeting end of November, and due to excange in mid December.
    Not due to complete until mid June which is going to be tense because mortgage offer expires on last day of June, so if there are any delays there could be an issue (especially if interest rates go up as predicted).

Now praying that all the speculation about stamp duty changed isn't just hot air!
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 22nd Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    Not due to complete until mid June which is going to be tense because mortgage offer expires on last day of June, so if there are any delays there could be an issue (especially if interest rates go up as predicted).
    Originally posted by Willis12376
    I'm in a similar position. I'm just about to start exchanging contracts on a house to due complete at the end of May and my mortgage offer expires in June. I'm going to try to get a long stop date added to the contract.
    • Willis12376
    • By Willis12376 22nd Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Willis12376
    I'm told that developers aren't usually more than a couple of weeks late and that mortgage companies are pretty flexible about extending, so think we should be okay.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 22nd Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    We have received our notice to complete - which will be on 3/11/17.

From the start our builders said "October/November" and unofficially told us the last week October/first week November. They've kept to that to the letter

I must say I am surprised to read about people not being allowed to view their homes though in the interim period, I guess it depends on the developer. Ours have been extremely accommodating even for when we've been dim and forgotten to do something like take a particular measurement, or when I was fussing over flooring choices for weeks.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 22nd Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Hello everyone.

We reserved a 1 bed flat in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire earlier this year. It was off-plan so we still haven't had the chance to see it! I think about it every day and am so anxious to visit the flat, but we have been told that this won't be possible until we do the pre-completion visit and snagging checklist. I am really hoping for new about this pre-completion visit any day now, because the contract states that this must be done a minimum of 10 days before completion.

Timeline was:

Paid reservation fee: 8th May 2017
    Mortgage offer: 1st June 2017
    Exchanged: 6th June
    Completion: estimated in early November.

The builder has been in contact to let us know that everything is still on schedule for November, but I still get nervous that there will be a delay. We have given notice to our landlord that we will likely want to move out sometime in November, and fortunately he has been very understanding about us not having a precise moving date. However he is really opposed to us moving in December because he worries about finding a new tenant so close to Christmas. He's asked if our completion ends up being in December, if we can continue to pay rent till end of January but I have been non-committal. He's been good to us but I don't want to be paying rent and mortgage simultaneously for any longer than necessary!

We never planned on getting a 1 bed flat, and wanted a two bed house originally, but our budget wouldn't permit in the end as we do not have time for a "project house" right now. I really hope we made the right decision, but we fell in love with the show flat and are excited to be paying into our own mortgage after 6 years of paying tens of thousands of pounds into the landlords mortgage...
    Originally posted by smem18
    Don't give formal notice until you are sure. Until you have that legal completion date. Until that point, things can move, and you may be stuffed. This can mean an overlap period which can be expensive but rather that than not having a roof over your head!

Review the terms of your tenancy agreement, make sure you give the proper notice when you can. Don't feel too bad for your landlord, after all you are paying the mortgage on what one assumes is at least the second roof over their head. They are running a business, your primary concern is your home. My landlord is nice too; I gave as much notice as we could (which is 6 weeks until the next formal date we can leave) to accommodate him and try and help him out.

We handed in notice to the letting agent at midday yesterday, by 5pm our house was advertised!!!
    Last edited by SuboJvR; 22-10-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    • Blue Cardinal
    • By Blue Cardinal 10th Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Blue Cardinal
    Hi everyone,

Long time, no post! I pretty much forgot about this forum until I popped on MSE for something else. Anyway, I'm further back in this thread talking about waiting for my new build.... well I've been in it now for 18 months!

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the build quality from Strata - and would have no hesitation using them again. Like any new building there were some settling cracks, but they came round and filled them and painted.

The exchange process was really smooth for me and my neighbors - and I don't know anyone who has had any major complaints about the houses at all.

We've decorated all of the rooms bar one, and recently had a shower installed in the main bathroom, although this was done by an outside supplier. We also put our own patio in - which was a mammoth undertaking, and I now see why the quotes we got were so expensive! £2,000 - pah I could do that myself I thought.... Oh, poor naive little me. Not surprised our grass wasn't growing as underneath it in patches there were massive sheets of concrete. So if you have have green fingers and wonder why your garden is struggling that would well be the reason. Living on the end plot, it looks like any old rubbish was shoved under our house as we found loads of bricks, breeze blocks, maintained plans to our house underneath.

Good luck to everyone!
    • Bubzfudge
    • By Bubzfudge 4th Dec 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bubzfudge
    Wanting to change plot!!
    Hi all, Iv been a lurker for some time but now have a burning question im hoping someone can help with.

We reserved a new build property mid October and got a mortgage offer mid November. We have since decided that we want the plot next door (semi detached) for access reasons (the driveway on one is in a funny place so would have to reverse right the way up the lane as nowhere to turn!!) and the builder is totally fine with this as the other one hasnt been reserved anyway. Question is.... will the mortgage lender be happy to just transfer the offer to a different property or will we have to start again?! Exactly same house just the other way round with it being the other side of the semi, same price etc so no changes in loan amount, just simply having 5a instead of 5b. Any one done a plot swop after mortgage offer but before exchange of contracts?

I phoned my broker who doesnt think it will be an issue but he needs to check with TSB so waiting to hear back from him but just wondered if anyone had done similar.
    Last edited by Bubzfudge; 04-12-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 2nd Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    Thought it might be nice to activate this thread again for those of us waiting on new builds!
    We've reserved with Barratt and are hoping to complete April/may. We're FTB using HTB and mortgage offer received.
    we have our choices meeting on Sunday, which is pretty exciting!
    House is currently up to finishing first floor brickwork, hoping the roof goes on in the next couple of weeks!
    Anyone else stalking their new build at the mo?
    • daz_79
    • By daz_79 2nd Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    daz_79
    We put our house on the market in August and foolishly whittled down new builds to one development, one House type then one House in particular. We are home movers using help to buy. After a very stressful and nervy few months we finally accepted an offer on our property and can proceed with the new build we originally chose. Mortgage sorted, Help to buy apprved, new build reserved and due to be complete in March. We were very fortunate as the sales guy at the development knew how much we wanted the house and stayed close to us while we were waiting for our current property to sell. We have been very fortunate in that he allowed us to have input into the decisions he had to make about the house whilst under construction and not yet reserved, in that he allowed us to choose the kitchen, bathroom tiles etc. We have also been very lucky with incentives and extras, savings us thousands. I can see the finish line in sight but wonít settle until we exchange with our buyer, which will hopefully be very soon as both sides are keen to progress.
    Darren
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 2nd Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    Sound great Daz, lucky to still get the choices before even committing!
    We had very little in the way of incentives as the plots reserve pretty much as soon as they're released, we only got upstairs carpets thrown in but better than nothing I suppose!
    Not long to wait for you now!
    • daz_79
    • By daz_79 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    daz_79
    No not long, just hope our buyer doesnít pull out and we can exchange ASAP. I do feel very lucky as buying 1 of the most expensive houses (6 in total of that house type) the sales guy and developer were very keen for us to buy it and so went to great lengths to help. In order for us to be able to drop our house price for a quicker sale they agreed to pay our stamp duty, legal fees and Estate agent fees to appoint 2 Estate Agents. In terms of incentives for the house we have got turf to front and back garden, integrated washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer. Full flooring including upgrade to laminate and luxury carpet and upgraded tiles to all bathrooms. Had our house sold after a week we wouldnít have got a quarter of that so although itís been very stressful, not being able to sell our house has actually benefited us. Weird I know.
    Darren
    • Claudiawalker98
    • By Claudiawalker98 12th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claudiawalker98
    After reading all 55 pages of this thread, I thought it was about time to stop stalking and post something!
    Me and my fiance have just reserved (2 days ago) a 3 bed semi on phase 2 of a gleesons development. We are FTB using HTB, currently renting. Estimated completion is June 2018, and im hoping I'm not jinxing us by posting on this forum as there seems to have been loads of issues for other people
    It's started to be built, and is currently just a few layers of brick
    I'm lucky that my dad is a bricklayer, and my uncle is a site manager, so I can go to them for advice and don't have to constantly be hassling the sales office (although I still probably will, I'm far too excited!!)
    Looking forward to following other people's journeys and hopefully sharing our own
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 12th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Nicola83
    We reserved our new build back in January and it's more or less complete now.
    We have a completion date of Friday 23rd Feb.
    It's been an amazing feeling seeing it turn into a home. The house was already built when we reserved It, but we got to pick our flooring and tiles, and it was great seeing them go in, and the kitchen.
    The development have been great in letting us on the site to see it, and last week when they put the carpets in, we got to go in it straight after. It actually looks like a home now, and has that amazing new carpet smell.
    Hope everyone else waiting loves their new house when it's up and ready, we can't wait to move in to ours next week!
    • daz_79
    • By daz_79 12th Feb 18, 10:39 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    daz_79
    Saw our house again today as they wanted us to check they had moved the power points etc to the right places (they were above skirting board so we requested middle of wall so we could wall mount the tvís). Itís come on so much since our last visit, the kitchen is nearly in and some finishing touches started. Flooring has been picked and ordered so will go in soon. If I knew how to post pics Iíd put a couple on. Excitement is kicking in.
    Darren
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,183Posts Today

6,921Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin