Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save 1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 254
    • MeganLloyd
    • By MeganLloyd 26th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MeganLloyd
    why does size matter
    I've tried getting my house re-banded downwards. The local valuation officer paid a visit, the upshot being that I could go to Triibunal if I wished but I wouldn't succeed because the house was too big to be down banded. And there I was thinking Council Tax was based on value. I mentioned this to a member of staff in the local authority's council tax department and she'd never heard of banding being based on size.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 27th Feb 18, 1:18 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    Mersey
    Clearly the greater the square footage the greater the generally speaking. But no, there is no "too big to re-band" rule if that is what you were told.

[Unless of course it's in Chelsea or a mansion in the countryside, ie little point arguing you shouldn't be in Band H if it's worth 20m]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • MeganLloyd
    • By MeganLloyd 27th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MeganLloyd
    No, this is a standard 3-bedroom stone cottage being charged more than similar and more expensive properties in the same village. I watched Martin's TV prog last night and I've done everything he said - checked what others are paying, valued the property at 2003 prices (I live in Wales). But apparently, as well as the size mattering, I not allowed to backdate the value either! There was an independent valuation made in early 2016 (125,000) which cut no ice. Still in Band E.
    • Heady Tulip
    • By Heady Tulip 27th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Heady Tulip
    I wondered if I could get some advice.
    Having watched Martin's show last night I am thinking of challenging my council tax band. I bought my house 2 years ago as a cash sale as the house has subsidence. Built in 2006, the houses were originally sold at 360k but within two years residents discovered subsidence issues with a number of them and made claims against the builders. Some of the houses were underpinned but the house I have was not, instead the previous owners chose to accept a cash sum in compensation.
    When it came to sell the house they then found that it's valuation was greatly depreciated and that it was not possible for prospective buyers to get a mortgage on the property. I purchased the house for 93K in May 2016.
    Is it possible for me to make a claim against council tax band given that the value of the house is less than a 3rd of the neighbours houses? (which are identical in size but obviously do not have the subsidence issue.)
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you Tulip
    • steven123steven
    • By steven123steven 27th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steven123steven
    reassessment
    it looks like other comparable properties are at the same band as me, but after completing the online tool here and with nationwide is should be eligible to move from a band c to b...has anyone any experience of going through the process when others in the street have not? thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I wondered if I could get some advice.
    Having watched Martin's show last night I am thinking of challenging my council tax band. I bought my house 2 years ago as a cash sale as the house has subsidence. Built in 2006, the houses were originally sold at 360k but within two years residents discovered subsidence issues with a number of them and made claims against the builders. Some of the houses were underpinned but the house I have was not, instead the previous owners chose to accept a cash sum in compensation.
    When it came to sell the house they then found that it's valuation was greatly depreciated and that it was not possible for prospective buyers to get a mortgage on the property. I purchased the house for 93K in May 2016.
    Is it possible for me to make a claim against council tax band given that the value of the house is less than a 3rd of the neighbours houses? (which are identical in size but obviously do not have the subsidence issue.)
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you Tulip
    Originally posted by Heady Tulip
    I have dealt with several CT appeals where there was a subsidence problem. You will not be able to make a valid appeal as you are well out of time, but you can ask the VOA for a band review. You should also provide evidence of subsidence such as a structural engineer's report. If the house has since been underpinned, then this has to be taken into account.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    it looks like other comparable properties are at the same band as me, but after completing the online tool here and with nationwide is should be eligible to move from a band c to b...has anyone any experience of going through the process when others in the street have not? thanks
    Originally posted by steven123steven
    Nationwide house price indices are not accurate, so your band may be correct. But in most cases no harm in asking for a band review or appealing the band if you are within the time limit.
    • Chris Thorp
    • By Chris Thorp 27th Feb 18, 3:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chris Thorp
    Am I able to make a claim for a reduction in the Council Tax band in a house I used to live in until 2007?
    • P1005613
    • By P1005613 27th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    P1005613
    Having watched the show last night I am following Martins instructions to see if you have a claim. When you look back to see what your property was worth in 1991, does it matter whether the property was actually built after that date, i.e 1998? or is it purely a paper exercise to find out what it would have been worth in 1991 if it existed? Clearly the property was given a tax band when I bought it new but it was based on the figure that I actually paid for it in 1998.
    • trowieuk
    • By trowieuk 27th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trowieuk
    Is this right?
    in wales. Just got off the phone with VOA, gave several examples of houses in the street that are similar or the same as mine but mine has a higher banding. The lady told me the Tax Band is not worked out via its value e.g number of rooms/improvements it is only worked out by the amount of land the residence takes up (including all gardens) - which is weird because the Bands are categorized via value. Have i just been fobbed off?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Am I able to make a claim for a reduction in the Council Tax band in a house I used to live in until 2007?
    Originally posted by Chris Thorp
    No. Only the current CT payer can ask for a band reduction.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Having watched the show last night I am following Martins instructions to see if you have a claim. When you look back to see what your property was worth in 1991, does it matter whether the property was actually built after that date, i.e 1998? or is it purely a paper exercise to find out what it would have been worth in 1991 if it existed? Clearly the property was given a tax band when I bought it new but it was based on the figure that I actually paid for it in 1998.
    Originally posted by P1005613
    Probably not. Your home was most likely compared to similar homes already banded whose bands would have been based on 1991 sales.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    in wales. Just got off the phone with VOA, gave several examples of houses in the street that are similar or the same as mine but mine has a higher banding. The lady told me the Tax Band is not worked out via its value e.g number of rooms/improvements it is only worked out by the amount of land the residence takes up (including all gardens) - which is weird because the Bands are categorized via value. Have i just been fobbed off?
    Originally posted by trowieuk
    Probably, unless they have a different method of ascertaining CT bands west of Offa's Dyke.
    • Belinda Archer
    • By Belinda Archer 28th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Belinda Archer
    Our property is detached but small... 2 beds, 1 bath/toilet combined, no shower. 1 living room, kitchen/diner in one. Outside double garage.

The value of the property is increased because of the land (1acre) of which half is in greenbelt.

Does the size of the house matter or is it just the value of the whole package ?

Our banding is higher than those around us with 3 and four beds and multiple bathrooms.

There is no other property nearby like ours - maybe one or two similar, but with less land and some semi detached.....can we still challenge our banding ? I came from a terraced house bigger than this and with band A and this is band E.
    • lynnechapman
    • By lynnechapman 28th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    lynnechapman
    I don't know whether to do this. We have been in Band E since council tax was introduced but in 1991 our house was worth 84,961 which should have been Band D. Our neighbours are a mixture of Bands D, E & F. But since then we have had some extensions added. Do they affect this or is it purely based on what it was worth in 1991?
    Thanks Lynne
    • darren72
    • By darren72 28th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    darren72
    Does anyone know if the band is affected by extensions and works that have taken place to the property since 1991 ? - Can they use an extension since as a reason not to lower the banding ?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710

The value of the property is increased because of the land (1acre) of which half is in greenbelt.

Does the size of the house matter or is it just the value of the whole package ?

There is no other property nearby like ours - maybe one or two similar, but with less land and some semi detached.....can we still challenge our banding ? I came from a terraced house bigger than this and with band A and this is band E.
    Originally posted by Belinda Archer
    The land can be taken into account provided it is garden and not agricultural land and valued as such. The whole package should be looked at when ascertaining the CT band.

You can challenge the band, but it is pointless using your previous house as a comparison.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I don't know whether to do this. We have been in Band E since council tax was introduced but in 1991 our house was worth 84,961 which should have been Band D. Our neighbours are a mixture of Bands D, E & F. But since then we have had some extensions added. Do they affect this or is it purely based on what it was worth in 1991?
    Thanks Lynne
    Originally posted by lynnechapman
    You appear to have used a house price index, which are at best an approximation, at worst inaccurate. If you have carried out improvements since 1 April 1993 (prior to this date should have been included in the band) then the legislation says your band cannot be increased because of these improvements.

However I am not certain whether these improvements can be reflected when a reduction is sought. I have a feeling they should not be, but would suggest you contact the VOA itself to confirm or otherwise.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 8,984 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Does anyone know if the band is affected by extensions and works that have taken place to the property since 1991 ? - Can they use an extension since as a reason not to lower the banding ?
    Originally posted by darren72
    Improvements carried out by a previous owner after 1 April 1993 should be reflected in the current band.

But if you have carried out improvements since 1 April 1993 (prior to this date should have been included in the band) then the legislation says your band cannot be increased because of these improvements.

However I am not certain whether improvements you have carried out can be reflected when a reduction is sought. I have a feeling they should not be, but would suggest you contact the VOA itself to confirm or otherwise.
    • lynnechapman
    • By lynnechapman 28th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    lynnechapman
    You appear to have used a house price index, which are at best an approximation, at worst inaccurate.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    I used the calculator on the MSE website!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,242Posts Today

7,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin